FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with Kili/Serengeti/Victoria falls trip
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:39 pm
rivlinm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by beyounged
Hey folks~!
I pulled the trigger on a great QR OJ fare into NBO and out of JNB, flying in on 5th of July and leaving 28th. my original intention was making my way down south to tick off 3 boxes of mine (climb Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, and Victoria falls) and realized maybe 23 days is a tad bit too short? I have done a couple days of research, but still uncertain on a lot of things. I am low on budget and would love to hear anyone's advice on it!
In general, I am thinking NBO-Moshi-Kili Climb-Serengeti-DAR-HRE-VFA-JNB.... I believe easyjet is my friend for making it to VFA? Maybe I have to forgo Vic. falls? I guess direct DAR-JNB can save me a few days?
Most of the safari agencies have no listed price on it, and I am just unsure in general. Is it considered too late to book now? What makes a good low end agency? I heard Access2Tanzania is great, but will they blow my budget up since there is no listed price for their safari and as a single traveller, I will be subjected to crazy fees?
for climbing Kili, some claim that under 1800 is unrealistic, but I saw a few prices around 1600, I should avoid them? I also would hate to climb all by myself with no other fellow travellers, so are there many group climbs that I can simply join and avoid single trekker surcharges?
for Vic. Falls, how many days is considered reasonable? I am thinking about 2 days, 1 for the falls, 1 for the town...
I am still quite new to all these, so any help welcome~!

Thanks to all the experts here in advance!
Cant help you on price for safari or vic falls, but just got back from Kili. We blocked 10 days (2 before, 7 climbing, 1 after) for kili before flying on precision air (PW) to ZNZ and eventually on to NBO for safari.

You can do kili much faster, but with risk. First, it's africa and things can go wrong in a hurry. Second, the longer you take to climb kili, the more successful you will be. Some folks need that extra day to acclimatize to the elevation. Others are fine with the 5 day Marangu 'cocacola' route to the top.

Nothing much to do in moshi, but spent a day walking around before. I had tried to arrange a flight to fly over lake natron, but never could pull it off. Next time I'll have to go overland.

I know this doesnt help since you already booked your flight, but QR flies to JRO direct (sometimes through znz) and that may save you time and money as opposed to dealing with NBO. I chose to do my safari in the mara rather than Serengeti. Good luck.