Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by timesnaps
Hi, just spend 25K in miles for a award ticket. Would they still be counting towards my status? Before and after redemption, it said/says I need 1890 miles to go to Silver, so my believe is, yes.

Is that correct?
Yes, award miles and tier miles are two totally different things (although you often earn the same amount of each). Your tier miles - needed for your tier upgrade/retention are not affected by you spending award Miles.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:56 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by timesnaps
Hi, just spend 25K in miles for a award ticket. Would they still be counting towards my status? Before and after redemption, it said/says I need 1890 miles to go to Silver, so my believe is, yes.

Is that correct?
But you will not collect any miles (tier and award) with an award ticket. Only paid (€€€) tickes will count...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:59 pm

Just to update, my miles from UA domestic flight finally got credited after like 10 days.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Some advice

So I'm trying to get to gold from scratch, I had thought I just needed 24k miles and 4 A3 flights to get there, but the penny has now dropped that I need to get to silver first. I'm currently on 14500 miles so need either another 9500 miles or the 2 A3 flights to get my silver. My question is what would be cheaper? I live in Basel, and travel to Brussels most weeks for work (which is how I'm slowly accumulating miles at the moment) so I would think going from one of those to Athens is probably the easier way, but searching through flights it looks like I'm spending about 500 euros at least if I want to do this anytime soon, so was wondering if I might be better trying to just get the miles - any ideas?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
instead of searching for flights from Brussels to Athens round trip with Aegean, you may find it cheaper if you buy a one-way flight with a connection in Athens to somewhere nearby to get your 2 A3 flights, and then a return With another airline.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by ob7777777
So I'm trying to get to gold from scratch, I had thought I just needed 24k miles and 4 A3 flights to get there, but the penny has now dropped that I need to get to silver first. I'm currently on 14500 miles so need either another 9500 miles or the 2 A3 flights to get my silver. My question is what would be cheaper? I live in Basel, and travel to Brussels most weeks for work (which is how I'm slowly accumulating miles at the moment) so I would think going from one of those to Athens is probably the easier way, but searching through flights it looks like I'm spending about 500 euros at least if I want to do this anytime soon, so was wondering if I might be better trying to just get the miles - any ideas?
In November there are a lot cheap OW flights, BRU-ATH-ZRH or ZRH-ATH-BRU, for roughly 80 euros, but AFAIK, with a overnight in ATH
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:37 am

If you decide to go for the miles, look at SAS first. You can find some good routings via Scandinavia, often with multiple connections which improves earning. For example, last spring I was travelling from HAM-CDG and I routed HAM-CPH-OSL-CDG for about 90 Euro earning just over 2000 miles. (In case you don't know, all SAS flights earn at least 100% miles with A3 M&B, with a minimum 600 miles per flight).
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:48 pm

Thanks all for the advice
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:44 am

So another real newbie question - what search engine do you use to look for flights? I've been using Expedia which seems okay but only for specific routes/dates, it would be great to find one that lets you put a route in, a connection (or airline) and then browse through dates for the cheapest flights. Is that just wishful thinking?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ob7777777
So another real newbie question - what search engine do you use to look for flights? I've been using Expedia which seems okay but only for specific routes/dates, it would be great to find one that lets you put a route in, a connection (or airline) and then browse through dates for the cheapest flights. Is that just wishful thinking?
Look into ITA Matrix, but be aware that you can't actually book tickets from there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lp-thread.html
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have booked quite a few flights ATH-AMS for next year already; leaving on Tuesday with a 13:40 departure from ATH.

Now (by chance) I checked a booking a noticed that all Tuesday flights have been canceled, and that they have moved me to the Monday 8:40 flight. That is 29 hours earlier than booked, and, at a time that I cannot really make it to the airport (unless I leave home at midnight and travel all night). Or get a hotel in ATH..

These are GoLight bookings. What chances do I have that they will rebook me onto a non-direct flight (eg LH)? I read that they are not very willing to do so for non-flex bookings. Any recent experiences?

Another alternative is to ask them to change it to the direct ATH-DUS flight (ETD 13:30), but that would suck for two reasons: 1. Train transport from DUS to AMS is not cheap, and when I booked these flights the ATH-AMS ones were actually about 50% more expensive than the DUS ones. Any tips on how to handle this?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:40 pm

I do sympathise fully with your problem and, unfortunately, I have no therapy to suggest. The reason I write this is that I just thought of the somewhat heated debate of a few weeks ago, triggered by the late disclosure by A3 of next winter's schedule. Well, if you had been booking your travel like me (i.e. "late") the chances of such mishaps would have been really low (of course, for a price).
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:21 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I have booked quite a few flights ATH-AMS for next year already; leaving on Tuesday with a 13:40 departure from ATH.

Now (by chance) I checked a booking a noticed that all Tuesday flights have been canceled, and that they have moved me to the Monday 8:40 flight. That is 29 hours earlier than booked, and, at a time that I cannot really make it to the airport (unless I leave home at midnight and travel all night). Or get a hotel in ATH..

These are GoLight bookings. What chances do I have that they will rebook me onto a non-direct flight (eg LH)? I read that they are not very willing to do so for non-flex bookings. Any recent experiences?

Another alternative is to ask them to change it to the direct ATH-DUS flight (ETD 13:30), but that would suck for two reasons: 1. Train transport from DUS to AMS is not cheap, and when I booked these flights the ATH-AMS ones were actually about 50% more expensive than the DUS ones. Any tips on how to handle this?
I think you will be out of luck this far ahead. A3 will almost certainly rely on the provisions of EC261, and moving your flight this far ahead does not trigger cash compensation.

By offering the alternative of an adjacent day flight, A3 will have satisfied its obligations under the 'soonest opportunity' clause of the regulation - a court is unlikely to find that routing on an alternative airline was a reasonable expectation.

If the alternatives offered are not suitable, I would therefore say the only realistic choice is to accept a full refund and book with another carrier.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 5, 2016 at 12:54 am Reason: Spelling!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I think you will be out of luck this far ahead. A3 will almost certainly rely on the provisions of EC261, and moving your flight this far ahead does not trigger cash compensation.
I think this far ahead (the flights are for next year) there would be no EC261 compensation due anyway, regardless of the flight being moved ahead or to a later date. The poster has no choice but to accept the changes or ask for a full refund. Just one of the pitfalls of making plans so far ahead.

Another option, if it's a route he/she flies very regularly is to ask for the booking to be moved to another date when they want to travel anyway and fares are higher than average. I expect A3 might do that without any extra charge even if involves moving to a higher fare bucket and the (smallish) saving might be worthwhile. They've always been very flexible with rebookings for me - it doesn't have to be to the next earliest or latest available date, although my experiences were much nearer the time of flight (both less than one week).

I'd say the chances of being rebooked on another airline are nil. They might re-route to DUS but I don't think they'd pay for the onward transportation to AMS.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
How long does it normally take for Aegean to update the status once you qualify for a higher tier?

Not desperate, just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.