Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by nikolask
I'm currently A3*S and my year ends in April 2017. In case I reach gold status let's say in February will my new year count from that date or will it still be from April?
Your year start/end date resets when reaching a new level. This is explicitly documented only for blue to silver (but not silver to gold) on the wiki at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...tails-m-b.html

The text for retention of gold in the wiki though should make it clear that the year resets on reaching gold, since you have

12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention
to requalify for gold next year.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:53 pm

My girlfriend has Silver status in A3 since one year. She founded the Household Account and added me and 2 friends. Now, I also achieved the Silver level. Can I disconnect (what will happen for miles?)?
And Can I set up a second account family and add another friends?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:49 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mateuszz
My girlfriend has Silver status in A3 since one year. She founded the Household Account and added me and 2 friends. Now, I also achieved the Silver level. Can I disconnect (what will happen for miles?)?
And Can I set up a second account family and add another friends?
Yes, you are free to leave the family account after six months membership and start one of your own. However, all the award miles (not your personal status miles) will remain with the original family account, so you'd lose them.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by nikolask
I'm currently A3*S and my year ends in April 2017. In case I reach gold status let's say in February will my new year count from that date or will it still be from April?
Yes, from the date you reach gold a new year will start.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:02 am

Hi everyone!

I'm a new A3 member, flying regularly Sthlm-Ath and realized SAS Eurobonus would never get me to a tier upgrade, so decided to switch to miles&bonus. Apparently A3 gives more points, even for SAS flights which is kinda crazy!

Anyway! I have a few questions, I'm sorry if they've been answered before but the thread is too big to search into such details-

1. If I reach tier upgrade (for example silver), by exceeding 12.000 points what happens to my "surplus"? Like, if I have 11.000 and fly a 2.000 mile flight. Do I reach silver and at the same time start my new qualification period with 1.000 miles?

2. Say I have 11.800 miles and my qualification period soon ends. Any tips to earn those extra 200 to reach tier upgrade? Is flying the only option for getting tier miles ?

3. Does the business upgrade coupon apply for goSaver tickets? I don't see anything excluding goSaver tickets from the offer in the terms, but just to make sure.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Tsouvli; Aug 4, 2016 at 2:08 am Reason: Didn't finish
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Tsouvli
Hi everyone!
Welcome!

1. If I reach tier upgrade (for example silver), by exceeding 12.000 points what happens to my "surplus"? Like, if I have 11.000 and fly a 2.000 mile flight. Do I reach silver and at the same time start my new qualification period with 1.000 miles?
Yes, only the miles required for the upgrade will be removed from your status miles. However, note that your A3/OA segments will reset to zero, even if you have taken more than required.

2. Say I have 11.800 miles and my qualification period soon ends. Any tips to earn those extra 200 to reach tier upgrade? Is flying the only option for getting tier miles ?
If you have silver status, you can purchase up to 1000 status miles. Otherwise, you could look into the LH train.

3. Does the business upgrade coupon apply for goSaver tickets? I don't see anything excluding goSaver tickets from the offer in the terms, but just to make sure.
Yes, I believe it does.

Additionally, I would recommend reading the Wiki at the top of the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...tails-m-b.html page which answers at least question one (though maybe not any of the others).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:51 am

thank you witlesspax!!

One last question: if I meet the criteria for renewing my tier well in advance than the end of my qualification year, is my new period extended for one year from the day I reach the miles or from the end of my ongoing year?
Example: I upgrade to silver Nov 2016. In Feb 2017 I reach 8.000 miles (with 2 a3 flights). Is my silver membership extended till Nov 2018 or Feb 2018??
Thank you so much for your help guys
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:07 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Your year is fixed, so it doesn't matter if you re-qualify on day one or day 365 - the end date will not move.

It only does so when resetting on initial qualification when moving through the tiers.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: A3
Hi everyone! I have a few thoughts and ramblings below about switching to the A3 FFP from Miles and More, so any feedback, answers and/or corrections would be highly appreciated! I fly about 35k a year, but I have been unable to figure out how to actually make something out of it thus far. I really would love to have *A gold because I travel with at least one checked bag and usually avoid long layovers since I don't have lounge access, but if I could chill for a few extra hours or take a nap after a 5 AM flight there, I would spend less money for that.

1. To achieve *A gold, I need to fly just 24,000 miles as long as I have 4 flights on A3. I live in Tallinn, which has a seasonal flight on A3 to Athens, so all I have to do is connect once there and back to somewhere in Europe once a year, right? (i.e. Italy, Croatia, TLV).

2. Is there a table of which *A airlines and booking classes actually give 100% miles? I made a terrible rookie mistake in M&M of assuming every flight on *A counts as a flight segment (you need 30 for Frequent traveler), so while I got a few miles for the many United and SAS flights I did, it doesn't nothing for status (and i don't have nearly enough miles to keep LH satisfied. 100k a year just to stay? Please...

3. On the note of booking classes, where can you actually book to see what the booking class is? It's certainly not available on sites like Kayak/OneTravel/etc, and I haven't been able to find it on every airlines' site either. This is problematic, especially when you don't get the class on the boarding pass.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated! I would like to know everything I can before I join and am unable to properly credit flights.

Thanks!

Jacob
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:05 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacobsteuer1
1. To achieve *A gold, I need to fly just 24,000 miles as long as I have 4 flights on A3. I live in Tallinn, which has a seasonal flight on A3 to Athens, so all I have to do is connect once there and back to somewhere in Europe once a year, right? (i.e. Italy, Croatia, TLV).
In your scenario of qualifying by a miles/flights combo, you initially need 12,000 plus 2 flights to reach *S, then a further 24,000 plus 4 flights to reach *G. Re-qualification is much lower.

2. Is there a table of which *A airlines and booking classes actually give 100% miles? I made a terrible rookie mistake in M&M of assuming every flight on *A counts as a flight segment (you need 30 for Frequent traveler), so while I got a few miles for the many United and SAS flights I did, it doesn't nothing for status (and i don't have nearly enough miles to keep LH satisfied. 100k a year just to stay? Please...
Yes, the A3 website has this. English version: https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../all-airlines/.

You will see that relatively few airlines offer 100% earning in all economy fare buckets.

3. On the note of booking classes, where can you actually book to see what the booking class is? It's certainly not available on sites like Kayak/OneTravel/etc, and I haven't been able to find it on every airlines' site either. This is problematic, especially when you don't get the class on the boarding pass.
This varies enormously by airline if you book direct on their site. It would be nearly impossible, I'm afraid, to talk you through all of the Star airlines' booking pages - and they'd change before we finished! The best bet generally is to find the fare basis - there's almost always a clickable link somewhere. You'll then see something like, as a very rough example, L******. The first letter is the booking class (so 'L' here), everything that follows define the conditions for your ticket like flexibility, change costs etc.

I would also recommend you take a look through a thread we have running here on the current M+B FFP - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...tails-m-b.html. Now, that's quite long now but there is a Wiki at the top which will be visible assuming you're not viewing FT as a mobile site.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:04 am

And just one last naive question. I swear I'm not trolling I'm just that confused: To reach *Gold I need 36,000k plus 6 A3 flights in total in 365 days? Not 24,000 and 4?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jacobsteuer1
And just one last naive question. I swear I'm not trolling I'm just that confused: To reach *Gold I need 36,000k plus 6 A3 flights in total in 365 days? Not 24,000 and 4?
That's basically correct, except that it's in two stages. You first need 12k plus 2 A3/OA segments, and then 24k plus 4 A3/OA segments. Miles roll over (in this case), but segments do not, so if you had more than 2 A3 segments by the time you hit 12k, you would still need *another* 4 A3 segments plus 24k miles to hit gold. This also means that you have *at least* 365 days, but probably more since the clock restarts once you hit silver. So, if you can do 36k + 6 segments in 365 days, you can get to gold, but you can stretch it out some as well, and you need to make sure about the timing of the 6 segments.

This description is a bit simplified, and I'm assuming that you're only interested in qualifying with the reduced mileage granted if you have the required number of A3/OA segments and don't intend to take more than one year as a silver. For full(er) details, consult the wiki at the top of

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...ls-m-b-74.html
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
No although if it was the other way around it would count. ie: TK flight number operated by A3.
I've discovered a minor discrepancy with A3 operated segments being recognized. My upcoming flight back home includes LH5915 operated by A3. When attempting a Hertz booking from the Aegean website I normally include my PNR and the site will recognize my A3 flight and state I qualify for a 'special rate' because of the A3 flight. I do expect to receive A3 segment credit for the actual flight after I've flown, but they seem to have an issue recognizing it in advance.

N.B. the 'special rate' is a very minor extra discount. I did not get the Hertz car after all, since I was offered the use of a car by my niece.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:03 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Hi, very basic question for a new member of M+B (registered a couple of hours ago).
I have twelve months to earn miles for my Silver status. The question is twelve months starting when:
- registration date
- or the first flight credited to A3
- or another time frame ?

I think I got the essentials of the program but for the calendar.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Hi, very basic question for a new member of M+B (registered a couple of hours ago).
I have twelve months to earn miles for my Silver status. The question is twelve months starting when:
- registration date
- or the first flight credited to A3
- or another time frame ?

I think I got the essentials of the program but for the calendar.
Any time "within 12 consecutive months" per the wiki I linked above. But you might want to do it within 12 months of the registration date if you want to take advantage of the 1000 welcome miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.