Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wyndham credit cards come with status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wyndham credit cards come with status.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT103
I charge my cable, phone, and internet to my ink card for the 5X earnings, but none of my utilities (gas, electric, water, sewer, or trash) except credit card payments. It certainly would be nice if they did, or if I'm overlooking something.
Well, everybody's local services are different.

In my case, my electric + trash from Los Angeles Department of Water & Power accept credit cards on their site, while my natural gas (SoCal Gas, a Sempra company) outsources to BillMatrix (with a $1.50 fee) if you want to pay be credit card. (I wait until I've build up a balance due for a few months, then overpay some, to have that $1.50 fee be a much smaller percentage relative to the payment than it would be if I paid my natural gas bill monthly.)

Some of my utilities hide the credit card payment. Ie, if you go to try to pay, the payment methods don't include credit card payment. Then you have hunt for a link about something like "other methods of paying", which takes me to a page where paying by credit card is buried far down the page after paying at payment centers, paying by phone, and stuff like that. Others let you set up recurrent payments using non-credit methods, then you have to go to "one-time payment" to find any mention of credit card acceptance.

I don't remember how long it took me to find the first time at each of these sites, but even on a recurring basis, I spend a little while re-finding it each time!

I rent an apartment, so natural gas and electric + trash are the only non-telecomm utilities I have. But while I can pay all my utilities by credit card, here in SoCal I can't pay AAA auto insurance by credit card (only by debit, card, so I buy generic Visa gift debit cards at the grocery store with my credit card and use those to pay my auto insurance). In some other parts of the country, AAA auto insurance does take credit cards, but not in SoCal.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Also, it looks like the foreign transaction fee is being eliminated for all cardholders, both new and old.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:42 pm

Do the 15K free night awards require you to pay hotel taxes and fees on all wyndham properties, or just certain ones?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!
I charge my cable, phone, and internet to my ink card for the 5X earnings, but none of my utilities (gas, electric, water, sewer, or trash) except credit card payments. It certainly would be nice if they did, or if I'm overlooking something.
I'd suggest try calling the 1-800 number and see if you can make a payment by phone. One utility company let me do credit card payments through their automated phone system.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:37 am

Has anyone upgrade their old AF card to the new one yet? I remember seeing comments by others that we should be able to do it in November.

One other question: the new ( and old AF ) card both come with an annual 6000 bonus points at renewal. The new card also comes with platinum status, which gives 3000 bonus points annually. Seems like then with the new card, the annual bonus would be 9000, correct? If so, I'd certainly agree that the additional points exceed the $6 AF increase.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I have two Wyndham cards, one with the 15K annual bonus and a newer one with the 6K bonus. I have a SM into Barclays asking to upgrade my 6K card to the new $75 annual fee card. I simply want the Platinum status. Knowing that older Wyndham cards will not be automatically converted to the new $75 AF cards, I can keep my 15K annual bonus card unchanged and convert my 6K card since at some point next summer I will close it anyway.

UPDATE: 11/10/16

here is part of the response I got back from Barclays:

"Also note that old accounts will not be force converted. For example, an existing $69 annual fee hotel product will remain as is with that annual fee and existing benefit structure. However, we are pleased to inform you that you do not have to apply for a new account in order to enjoy the new rewards and benefits of these accounts. At the end of November 2016, eligible existing cardmembers in the old Wyndham Rewards products will have the option to change their account into one of the new products. Log into your barclaycardus.com website for updates on specific timing of when this is available."

Last edited by eknock007; Nov 10, 2016 at 5:02 pm
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:53 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
All PLT status gets you is early checkin and a few (worthless) points extra per year. Not worth the cost.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rbAA
All PLT status gets you is early checkin and a few (worthless) points extra per year. Not worth the cost.
I guess worthless for some. I'm doing nicely with the $69 2x card and the $75 card. Between these two cards, I save about $1k/yr on my annual trip to LA. Will probably cancel the $75 card and get an AAviator in the spring, then churn the following spring.

Barclays gets 98% of my swipes and they treat me well. No complaints here.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
Certainly not the best collection of brands, but the chain does serve a purpose in some areas where my brand of choice is lacking.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:57 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Certainly not the best collection of brands, but the chain does serve a purpose in some areas where my brand of choice is lacking.
That's their reason for existance, at least for me. If my first or second choice of hotels (SPG and/or IHG) is not available or too expensive, I've used Wyndham. Not going out of my way to load up on them and their highly deflated points, though if you want to stay at their properties, that seems to be the best use of them. Combining their CC with bonuses, a free night can be had reasonably cheaply.

I do have a two night stay upcoming at the Chicago riverfront property but it's a timeshare deal, so not paying the $200+ per night asking price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.