FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards-430/)
-   -   Wyndham credit cards come with status. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards/1795272-wyndham-credit-cards-come-status.html)

oopl Oct 7, 2016 1:32 pm

Wyndham credit cards come with status.

No AF card = Gold status
$75 AF card = Platinum status
Also, no foreign transaction fee on both cards.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...&cellNumber=12

I wonder when this will be reflected for previous card holders.
My account does not show platinum status yet.

TTT103 Oct 7, 2016 1:46 pm

I made mention of the changes over in the Credit Card forum, as well.

I was previously a fan of this card, but now that they've eliminated the 2 points for all non-Wyndham purchases, I will likely cancel the card when it renews.

I'm curious as to when the changes will go into effect.

beachmiles Oct 7, 2016 2:59 pm

That's going to be a deal breaker for me. 2 points per dollar spent , meant I could get a nice room with $7500 spend. If I have to spend $15,000 I'll go with my SPG card instead.
Hope I can get a few more months of 2 points per.

techoin Oct 7, 2016 3:10 pm

only if platinum status came with breakfast or any other meaningful benefits...nevertheless its positive improvement

sdsearch Oct 7, 2016 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 27316832)
I made mention of the changes over in the Credit Card forum, as well.

I was previously a fan of this card, but now that they've eliminated the 2 points for all non-Wyndham purchases, I will likely cancel the card when it renews.

I'm curious as to when the changes will go into effect.

"All" is not quite accurate. They still have 2 points for groceries, gas, and utilities, and last I heard grocery stores, gas stations, and utilities are all non-Wyndham (except perhaps for the confusingly named Shell Vacation Club?).

oopl Oct 7, 2016 3:21 pm

The flexibility of 2X everywhere is great. Too bad that's going away.

maxp0wers Oct 7, 2016 4:35 pm

I'm hoping it will be applied to all current card holders prior to this offer. Would be extremely useful. Early check in and late check out ( if we actually get them! ) are super helpful to me based on my travel patterns. and platinum guarantee means that with the cc annual bonus, we are getting 9000 points at renewal which helps with the annual fee. I wouldn't feel so bad about missing out on the 15,000 annual bonus offer that was shortly lived last year.

Not too concerned with losing the 2x "everything" spend. have other cards to pick up the difference, but i do agree that if you redeem the cash + points the right, you can get a lot of quick value out of that.

maxp0wers Oct 7, 2016 4:41 pm

wait...no FTF...that's new too right?

That's actually a big deal for me. Even though I loved my Prestige card, and now i love my CSR card, i would still prefer to earn 5x wyndham points internationally. Have never used it abroad because of the FTF.

Plus gives me another option to use for gas and groceries in other countries since the amex EDP and Chase FU have FTF fees.

TTT103 Oct 8, 2016 6:48 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27317132)
"All" is not quite accurate. They still have 2 points for groceries, gas, and utilities, and last I heard grocery stores, gas stations, and utilities are all non-Wyndham (except perhaps for the confusingly named Shell Vacation Club?).

That is true; however, I use an alternate card with a more generous earning rate for those categories, but for some cardholders, the two points in those three categories might be enticing. All of my travel goes onto my Prestige card, and I was charging non-category purchases to Wyndham, which at 2 points, has earned me quite a few free nights. I will likely begin charging my non-category purchases to my SPG card, as beachmiles suggested, once we lose the 2X Wynhdham earning ability.

I'm just hoping the changes don't impact existing cards until our next renewal, and that there may be an option to simply remain with the $69 card and existing benefits. I also still receive the 15,000 annual renewal bonus, so it will be interesting to see how Barclay's handles that.

beachmiles Oct 8, 2016 10:12 am

Grandfather

Yes, grandfather us in for a little while. Seems only fair.

SlowLane Oct 10, 2016 6:05 pm

I'm under the 15,000 point a year card terms, if I get forced into the new card terms I'll just cancel it as it will by no means be worth it to me then. Status is useless, and losing the points and the point earning capability would ruin the card for me. The only reason I ever consider Wyndham properties is because of the card, without it I'd quite honestly never stay at a Wyndham location again.

Someone said though that you'd have to call in to ask for the new version, otherwise you would just stay under your existing terms. I will stay!

sdsearch Oct 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27317132)
They still have 2 points for groceries, gas, and utilities

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 27319286)
I use an alternate card with a more generous earning rate for those categories

I understand groceries and gas, but what card(s) besides this one give(s) bonuses on utilities? I've not run into utilities as a bonus category yet, even though I've seen tons of cards with either fixed or rotating bonuses on groceries and gas.

DeltaNeutral28 Oct 11, 2016 10:14 am

So there is no date they've chosen yet to terminate the 2x on all purchases? I assume we will get literature in the mail when and if that happens to previous card holders? I just used the card for the first time recently and had the pleasure of realizing they charge the sales tax in addition to the 15K points per nite. Terminating the 2x on all purchases will sock drawer this card until i use all my points and then cancel.

oopl Oct 11, 2016 10:27 am

Reports are that previous card owners will be grandfathered. You can request a upgrade to the new card but it won't be automatic.

TTT103 Oct 11, 2016 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27329954)
I understand groceries and gas, but what card(s) besides this one give(s) bonuses on utilities? I've not run into utilities as a bonus category yet, even though I've seen tons of cards with either fixed or rotating bonuses on groceries and gas.

I charge my cable, phone, and internet to my ink card for the 5X earnings, but none of my utilities (gas, electric, water, sewer, or trash) except credit card payments. It certainly would be nice if they did, or if I'm overlooking something.