Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know how/where to buy European beauty products in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know how/where to buy European beauty products in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
A thousand thank yous to those of you who offered to pick up beauty products for me in Europe. If anyone does accomplish this heroic feat, I assure you that I will immediately reimburse you for the costs and put you on my good karma/spare upgrade list forever. Of course, in lalala's case I could meet her at a local pub and buy her a drink--heck I would even spring for dinner if she were able to cram in two sets of products.

Tomorrow night I will bring home the camera and take a picture of the shampoo, conditioner and hairspray, and post them here.

FlyerTalk is really an amazing resource.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:30 am

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks for the tip. We've been talking about a weekend run to London and that might be the added incentive we need <G>.

Originally Posted by Buster
900at, they sell Timotei in England, so maybe you can vary your trips a bit! I know they used to stock it in my local Sainsbury's and Boots stores in London. I also used to use Timotei back in my poorer college days, because it was a brand that was stocked in Big Lots (then Pic n' Save). You might try stopping into your local Big Lots to see if they still have it! (I really love the smell of Timotei, btw - very herbal and grassy.)

On my home computer I have a site bookmarked that imports stuff from the UK - when I get home I'll take a look to see if they sell either Timotei or Elvital..
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:30 am

Ok, I found 2 stores online that carry Timotei at least:

www.lifeslittleluxuries.co.uk and
www.britsuperstore.co.uk

I've never ordered from either place, so I have no idea how reputable they are. Unfortunately, neither carries Elvital. They do carry Elvive - Punki, is it possible that it has a different name in the UK?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks for the followup. I'm going to enjoy shopping this afternoon much more than working!

www.britsuperstore.co.uk

I've never ordered from either place, so I have no idea how reputable they are. Unfortunately, neither carries Elvital. They do carry Elvive - Punki, is it possible that it has a different name in the UK?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I MIGHT have the solution!!!!!

Okay, brace yourself because I think I might have your answer!!!!

When I was in Frankfurt I bought these incredible patches for back pain and it is not available in the United States...I got the receipt and called the pharmacy in Germany myself....THEY SHIPPED IT TO ME!!!! AND they have this service available ALL THE TIME!!!! Can you just cry or what?!?! (laughing)

You have to send them an email...here's the info:

METROPOLITAN PHARMACY
(at Frankfurt Main)
e-mail: [email protected]

TEL: +49.69.69.58.07-0
FAX: +49.69.69.58.07-16

HOMEPAGE:www.METpharmacy.de

Good luck - if you have a chance, please send me a private message and let me know if this worked out for you -

Yours,
UG
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
One more thought...

Two more things:

Finding something in another part of the world and then wanting more is something that happens to me ALL the time...so there are a couple of things I have done to chase it down, rather than fly over there...

www.westons.com - based in the UK, they have had some really hard-to-find items I've found in Singapore, Columbo, etc.

Next is I have in the past sent an e-mail to the conceirge of the hotel I stayed to help me get something I can't seem to get on my own...and this has proven to be a HUGE help...from Bali to St. Petersburg, Russia. So this is always a thought as well.

Again, good luck,

George
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I arrived home from LAS earlly this morning to find that my sweet grand-nephew had brought me two shampoos, a conditioner and two hair sprays.

That should hold me for a few weeks.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

www.britsuperstore.co.uk

Certainly the packaging looks the same for the German stuff as the stuff we have in the UK under Elvive... it's very annoying, i have a bottle out in the car in my gym bag, but i don't bring my bag into the office, or we could have got that ingredient check done - I'd be interested to know what the differences are.

Ok, here are the ingredients from L'oreal Elvive nutrileum (the orange one):
Water. sodium laureth sulphate, coco-betaine, laureth-5 carboxylic acid, trimethysilylamodimethicone, cocamide mipa, sodium chloride, CI19140/yellow 5, ci14700/red 4, sodium methylparaben, dmdm hydantoin, sodium hydroxide, ppg-5-ceteth-20, peg-60 hydrogenated castor oil, polyquaternium-10, camelina sativa/camelina sativa seed oil, limonene, linalool,benzyl salicylate, alpha-isomethyl ionone, geraniol, butylphenyl methylpropional, citronellol, bht, laureth-2, hexyl cinnamyl, amyl cinnamyl, fragrance.

Last edited by Jenbel; Mar 16, 2005 at 1:55 pm
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, in English the stuff I use is called "Elvive Caring Conditioner" and "Elivive Caring Shampoo", they are the "color correct" red ones. Now that I have an English version from LHR, I will compare the ingredients to those you list.

It would sure be convenient to just order them and have them shipped, but, of course, flying to Paris for shampoo and conditioner is a lot more romantic.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you Buster and Jenbel, and everyone else who has been contributing ideas. I just woke up in the middle of the night (I strained a muscle in my back today and it hurts) and, to entertain myself, ordered 4 bottles each of the Shampoo and Conditioner from www.britsuperstore.com

They didn't appear to have my wonderful Loreal Elnett Satin Hair Spray, so that will be my next internet quest.

It is only when I use these products that I really feel like I have good hair. It not only looks, clean, shiny and curly, but pretty much stays that way for several days. When I use other products, I wake up with serious "bed head". I swear by this stuff.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:47 am

Elvital=Elvive=Elseve=Vive?

Originally Posted by lalala
Punki,

Elvital looks a lot like the loreal vive product.
I don't work for L'Oreal, but as a chemist for a competitor. With minor adjustment for local markets (packaging/colour/perfume being the most siginificant ones in cosmetics) I am almost certain the title brands are just the local designators for the same product. Having tried all the European variants El'vital/'vive/'seve (and having the dreadful habit of always reading all labels / ingredients) I'm sure these are the same.

Lalala is right on the button when she says Vive looks similar - the graphics on the bottles are one give-away ("radiating square" device). The colours of the "variant" green/red/blue/orange for colour protection / volume / etc. are also normally conserved across the ranges.

Summary: Elvital in Germany, Elvive in the UK, Elseve in France and Vive in the USA.

But as physical perception (especially perfume / and tactile considerations) count for a lot in the cosmetics business -it is quite possible that Elvital "feels" and thus works much better for you than Vive.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The U.S. Vive is definitely not the same product as the English Elvive, German Elvital, etc., nor does it contain the same ingredients.

Loreal was quite forthright with the information that the European products, Elvive, Elvital, etc., contain ingredients not approved by the US FDA. If they were even similar, I would not go to all of this trouble and expense, but, alas, my hair knows the difference.

I am going to start trying some other European products and see if I can discover any other, heretofore unearthed, miraculous secrets.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Punki

Loreal was quite forthright with the information that the European products, Elvive, Elvital, etc., contain ingredients not approved by the US FDA. If they were even similar, I would not go to all of this trouble and expense, but, alas, my hair knows the difference.
I was thinking about this - it could be those ingredients which do not carry FDA approval have never been put up for FDA approval. There is stuff (in my field, not actual cosmetics) which can be used in the US, but not in Europe because the market is considered too small to make it economic to go through the rigourous process of getting approval. It's a pretty expensive process, and if there are equivalent ingredients which are already approved, why bother?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My box with 4 large shampoos and 4 large conditioners arrived from the UK.

Thanks for the tip. Now I just need to find a place where I can order the Loreal Ellnett hairspray.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG Gold, UA Premier Silver
I've also picked up Elvital on several trips to Europe. FYI, it's also available in Mexico (where it's called something close to that) if that helps any....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.