Where are you headed next?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
Yay, luggage + shoes!

Cities: Manchester, Whitby, London
Airline: BA + trains (LNER + Transpennine?)
Bags: Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 (I plan to check); Lemaire Large Soft Game Bag (carry-on); plus either the Tom Bihn Small Zippered Shop Bag or a random tote bag just because
Shoes: Clark x Beams Wallabies; Salomon hiking boots; Papusse friurlanes as slippers (mostly for puttering in the hotel/room)
Hubby just got the Tom Binh aeronaut for Christmas and we took it on our india trip - what an amazing bag! It's like a black hole.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA, JetBlue, World of Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by QT31415
I'm always looking for new travel ideas, so am interested in where you are traveling next. Try this format (I've put in examples using my upcoming trip tomorrow):

Cities: Porto, Douro Valley, Port Ellen (Islay), London
Airlines: BA, KLM, TAP
Special Occasion: yearly friends trip
Luggage: Away smaller carry-on
Shoes: Tennis shoes, ballet flats and low heeled boots.

Cities: Milan, Turin (+vicinity), Genoa (+vicinity); London UK; Reykjavik
Airlines: UA, BA, FI, AS
Special occasion: visiting friends in Italy, UK and Iceland, Iceland Airwaves 25th anniversary.
(quoting actual brand/style from purchase sites)
Luggage: 21" Travelpro WalkAbout 6® Carry-on Hardside Spinner and crossbody messenger bag
Shoes: Soul Naturalizer Neela Oxford Sneaker - walking shoe, Asics Gel-Contend 7 - an athletic shoe for rougher terrain
Coats: Anne Klein
Mandarin-Collar Zip-Up Jacket; Columbia Women's Arch Rock™ Double Wall Elite™ Mid Jacket
Enforcing
total news and social media blackout for the trip.
QT31415, aphro and VorelNaCestach like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MlleAddams
Cities: Milan, Turin (+vicinity), Genoa (+vicinity); London UK; Reykjavik
Airlines: UA, BA, FI, AS
Special occasion: visiting friends in Italy, UK and Iceland, Iceland Airwaves 25th anniversary.
(quoting actual brand/style from purchase sites)
Luggage: 21" Travelpro WalkAbout 6® Carry-on Hardside Spinner and crossbody messenger bag
Shoes: Soul Naturalizer Neela Oxford Sneaker - walking shoe, Asics Gel-Contend 7 - an athletic shoe for rougher terrain
Coats: Anne Klein
Mandarin-Collar Zip-Up Jacket; Columbia Women's Arch Rock™ Double Wall Elite™ Mid Jacket
Enforcing
total news and social media blackout for the trip.
but what if we need some pictures? I’m especially interested in the jackets and shoes since those are big “real estate” items in the bag. Impressed that you’re doing carry on! (High five!)
MlleAddams likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:00 pm

pictures

but what if we need some pictures? I’m especially interested in the jackets and shoes since those are big “real estate” items in the bag. Impressed that you’re doing carry on! (High five!)
High five back. The most restrictive will be Icelandair with 22 lbs. weight limit and they do weigh the carry-ons that go into the bin above. I have two legs with Icelandair; one from LHR to KEF and one after 7 days from KEF to SEA.
I will practice packing one day. I do bring a small digital camera which has its own battery charger or I can use the phone's powerbank; binoculars, a chromebook tablet. My messenger bag is just the right size for under the seat. I'll carry in it the electronics and I think I will have lightweight makeup containers. I won't bring a curling iron because I braid my hair for waves. The style right now is this unstyled, loose shoulder length look and it's just right for my hair.
Below are the pictures from Macy's and Columbia, respectively.

I plan to wash clothes twice. One of the hotels supposedly has a laundry room. I saw a packable clothesline to bring, which I think will work well for undergarments. I have detergent sheets. I know I have to bring a common flat sink stopper.
For nice tops, I can add at least one or two. My pants are the coated jeans. I have two pairs. I do have one flowy, synthetic sleeveless dress which I wear with a Uniqlo airism longsleeve.
The key is to wear the heaviest clothing pieces on the plane. The Anne Klein jacket is stretchy. I have to decide if I'm wearing stretchy pants or the coated jeans. I wear compression socks and will be bringing extra pairs. Icebreaker had some end of season sales on socks that had cushion built in. They're so incredible.

The Columbia coat is on sale for a deeper discount. You can roll it up into the hood and squeeze all of the air out. The reflective panels keep you warm, but you need a neck warmer or big scarf, which I used. The hood has no cords but there is a cincher cord for the waist. It came in handy during some bad rains and wind. I definitely will layer under it and it is roomy a bit because I sized up. I use base layers by Columbia that wick away moisture, don't look athletic, don't wrinkle, and are quite durable. Unless I win Powerball, it won't get more fancy. The key is blending in as much as possible.

Shoes here. The treads on the asics are for outdoorsy stuff. I wanted lightweight and both are lightweight:

Asics bottom tread

Asics Gel Contend 7

Soul Naturalizer Neela Oxford

I can't remove the insoles of the Asics so I have some very worn down gel insoles in them and just don't tie them tight. I can remove the soles of the naturalizer shoe and insert orthotic insoles nearer to the month I plan to go. I had a plantar fascitis issue on one foot so I'm acclimating right now to the Naturalizer while wearing compression ankle socks and doing some exercises.
The P.F. returned somewhat by wearing Doc Martens that were overstretched. I've donated the Doc Martens.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

OMG I have those same Asics. And similar fitflops to the black Naturalizers. Please send links for the coated jeans because I've been wanting to try some. We are in sync on the Airism line and the "braids for waves", as well as the flat sink stopper. So you never wear skirts or dresses in urban areas at night? The shoes for dressier dinner occasions are always my downfall if it's not a flip flop destination. I like your jacket choices and have been eyeing that Columbia as a friend of mine uses it for travel frequently.

I also use the Travel Pro spinner, but the platinum elite softside version. After using Away and Monos, I've found the Travelpro wheels to be so much easier to glide with. I have to basically run to keep up! The softside pocket can catch on the Embraer style commuter plane though, and makes it hard to smash in the luggage overhead.

Learning so much from you ladies!
MlleAddams likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:29 pm

coated jeans

OMG I have those same Asics. And similar fitflops to the black Naturalizers. Please send links for the coated jeans because I've been wanting to try some. We are in sync on the Airism line and the "braids for waves", as well as the flat sink stopper. So you never wear skirts or dresses in urban areas at night? The shoes for dressier dinner occasions are always my downfall if it's not a flip flop destination. I like your jacket choices and have been eyeing that Columbia as a friend of mine uses it for travel frequently.

I also use the Travel Pro spinner, but the platinum elite softside version. After using Away and Monos, I've found the Travelpro wheels to be so much easier to glide with. I have to basically run to keep up! The softside pocket can catch on the Embraer style commuter plane though, and makes it hard to smash in the luggage overhead.

Learning so much from you ladies!
The latest pair I have is by I.N.C. from Macy's and Matching jacket I'm typically able to find stuff at Macy's by searching "coated pants" or "coated jeans"
Tommy Hilfiger made some in aubergine and I found the last pair in my size in the last sale section in the story at Macy's a little more than a year ago. I don't endorse buying through the resell links on Walmart, but they're listed.

I definitely play it safe. I am traveling alone. I choose outfits so I can get to/from places faster and unnoticed.
QT31415 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.