Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel backpack

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:58 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I have a LeSportsSac backpack that's discontinued.

My backpack challenge: I do not want a backpack that has obviously exposed zippers. The old SportsSac I had included a flap that folded over a drawstring so as to force pickpockets to unsnap the flap, then open the drawstring (assuming they weren't just slashing bags). It's so tough to find a backpack that requires that extra step. Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
LeSportSac - I love the brand, but they won't have the structure or comfort (esp in the straps) I want for this bag.
I believe REI has a sale on currently.
SPN Lifer and gretchendz like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have 12 on my list right now ;-) All 25-30L, and mostly in the $150-200 range. I sent my list & links to my husband - hopefully he'll have time to look over. Now he's worried I'll get a better backpack than the one he decided to keep (it's a pack we bought at some point but have never used - I think it's the right size but told him he needs to do a test pack and see how he feels about it)

Eagle Creek Explore 26L
Cotopaxi allpa 28L
Osprey Sojourn Porter 30
patagonia black hole mini mlc
Patagonia Refugi0 30L
Tom Bihn Synik
Evergood Civic Panel Loader
COR surf
Eddie Bauer Voyager 3.0 30l
LLBean Approach travel
Mother Lode EVD backpack (probably too small)
Topo global travel
gretchendz likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:52 pm

I have 12 on my list right now ;-) All 25-30L, and mostly in the $150-200 range. I sent my list & links to my husband - hopefully he'll have time to look over. Now he's worried I'll get a better backpack than the one he decided to keep (it's a pack we bought at some point but have never used - I think it's the right size but told him he needs to do a test pack and see how he feels about it)

Eagle Creek Explore 26L
Cotopaxi allpa 28L
Osprey Sojourn Porter 30
Patagonia Refugi0 30L
Tom Bihn Synik
COR surf
LLBean Approach travel
Topo global travel
That's quite a list! What are you packing and do you need to live out of it? Will you want to carry it on a spinner or 2 wheeled bag? I feel that some work/travel bag oriented bag designers lack the worthwhile heavy outdoor gear pack ergonomic lessons, even if it isn't pretty or sleek urban "digital nomad" look. 25L of tech gear and/or optical (cameras, birding optics) can really weigh a lot more than one might think. There is also no degree of "cute look" or "packability" which warrants a loaded up drawstring bag where the drawstring becomes the straps unless you want to give yourself sore shoulders.

I have the Tom Bihn Synik 22, Tom Bihn Synapse 19, and Timbuk2 Q 1.0 https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/...op-backpack-20
Synik's my favorite travel backpack for the full open which makes it easier for me to live out of with packing cubes. I do tend to travel with tech (people get surprised at how heavy I load the 19/22) + wheeled carry-on bag, so I like how it can be piggybacked and excellent backpack straps. I use the Q for work. It has no issues with a 15" Macbook but also interestingly, long enough for a full size Apple keyboard which isn't the case for many backpacks, especially at the smaller volume (I opted for a non-assigned desk). Also a useful side handle so I can lift it with two hands or have another angle to pull it out. Q 2.0 added the water bottle pocket and an office floor mate uses a 2.0 - she said filling out the interior tends to minimize the usable space for water bottle. We both agree that the back material will abrade outdoor style performance fabrics (aggravating when you have travel clothes/REI/Lululemon style stuff). Timbuk2 makes some pretty decent work bags for the price point. All of these bags feature built in organization which isn't everyone's packing style and may hinder those who prefer a large open area like several on the list feature. Friends have the Porter and eBags full size Mother Lode based on my recommendations as a mostly-carry-on or very weight conscious airlines/less urban/less developed travel.

I've also seen a Thule bag repeatedly over the years https://www.thule.com/en-us/backpack...pacity-1167089 which seemed to hold up quite well. It also has the benefit of being from an outdoor gear oriented company which should mean better strap cushioning, placement, and back panel.

There's a few other backpack or convertible bags in my travel carry-on hoard collection wardrobe including a few 2/3-way bags which are similar to Tom Bihn's new Trinity https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...42986040033469 https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=3+way+b...f=nb_sb_noss_1 which transition between crossbody and backpack mode. The shape reminds me a bit of the vintage airline flight bag which I presume was more of a satchel or boston bag which would efficiently fit in bins or under seat? Some of the convertible style bags with crossbody & backpack on your list open from the front and main/front compartment is not really meant to be accessed in the "briefcase mode". Others with the interior mesh partition or 50/50% clam shell style are really optimized for the "living out of while at location" and not accessing things on the go, as with some hard sided spinners you'd want a wide flat surface to access certain contents. Fine if it is mostly clothing and you can still pull out a sweater & entertainment while in flight?
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Nov 2, 2023 at 11:52 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I have a LeSportsSac backpack that's discontinued.

My backpack challenge: I do not want a backpack that has obviously exposed zippers. The old SportsSac I had included a flap that folded over a drawstring so as to force pickpockets to unsnap the flap, then open the drawstring (assuming they weren't just slashing bags). It's so tough to find a backpack that requires that extra step. Any other suggestions?
I believe you're thinking of a top loading backpack with draw string closure? Something like this? https://shop.lululemon.com/p/bags/Wu...l&gad_source=1
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...33013608906815

Thule makes one which has a flap and zipper https://www.thule.com/en-us/backpack...-25l-_-3203037 I've also seen a few roll tops that buckle down and Arcteryx used to sell a travel bag which opened from the back, where the zipper was closest to you. Perhaps one or two cottage maker backpacks have magnetic closures. "Fidlock" is one of the magnetic closure companies.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:49 am

I will not be hiking or doing one-bag travel at this point, so this travel backpack does not have to do or be everything. That said, I do want more of the technical components (comfortable straps! water bottle pocket!) and full openings, no top loading, which I think it reflected in my current list. My recent trips (past few years) have been tote (personal item) + small rolling carry-on + larger checked rolling bag (all 2 wheels - we don't do spinners as we're almost always out and about on rough surfaces where tiny wheels are a non-starter. Literally) We're going to Africa next summer and I want to bring just 1 rolling bag (tote + backpack for carry-ons and then the smaller rolling bag checked - well, probably 22" checked, not the 20") so I'm going to test that packing modality for other trips between now and then. So a luggage pass-through strap is important (and knocks the cotopaxi down on my priority ranking - I really like the bag but it lacks this basic feature :-( )

I will bring binoculars but not a big camera. (and hubs got rid of his dslr a few years back and just uses a nice - but compact - sony these days). What I like about the 26-30L bags is that if you underpack, they can (in most cases) be used as a personal item too, though that's not my intention in the short term. I don't love packing cubes, but we have a bunch so I can work on improving my packing/org skills if I get a bag that is just open space, no interior organization. I think I sort of prefer that, as many times pockets aren't exactly what I want. It's possible I'd use this for business travel where I'll bring a laptop, but in general I don't travel with a laptop for leisure trips. Hubs might but he can worry about that in his own bags ;-)

Ironically, one of the bags we're getting rid of is a lovely Timbuk2 that I never used :-( It's a school/work backpack and I apparently never wanted or used that configuration.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:52 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by freecia
I believe you're thinking of a top loading backpack with draw string closure? Something like this? https://shop.lululemon.com/p/bags/Wu...l&gad_source=1
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...33013608906815

Thule makes one which has a flap and zipper https://www.thule.com/en-us/backpack...-25l-_-3203037 I've also seen a few roll tops that buckle down and Arcteryx used to sell a travel bag which opened from the back, where the zipper was closest to you. Perhaps one or two cottage maker backpacks have magnetic closures. "Fidlock" is one of the magnetic closure companies.
Thank you! All of those look great, and I appreciate the suggestions. One thing I don't like about this type of backpack is that the ones I've had have been relatively unstructured in terms of compartments, and these each seem much better organized. I'll dig into these!
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:22 pm

I will not be hiking or doing one-bag travel at this point, so this travel backpack does not have to do or be everything. That said, I do want more of the technical components (comfortable straps! water bottle pocket!) and full openings, no top loading, which I think it reflected in my current list. My recent trips (past few years) have been tote (personal item) + small rolling carry-on + larger checked rolling bag (all 2 wheels - we don't do spinners as we're almost always out and about on rough surfaces where tiny wheels are a non-starter. Literally) We're going to Africa next summer and I want to bring just 1 rolling bag (tote + backpack for carry-ons and then the smaller rolling bag checked - well, probably 22" checked, not the 20") so I'm going to test that packing modality for other trips between now and then. So a luggage pass-through strap is important (and knocks the cotopaxi down on my priority ranking - I really like the bag but it lacks this basic feature :-( )
Since you often use a tote, I'd probably consider if I'd want access to the backpack contents.
1. Backpack instead of tote - would need good item accessibility while traveling.
2. Backpack in addition to tote with clothes in backpack - OK to have certain spaces kept in place with 3 sided zip mesh panels as this configuration really lends itself to "one-bag" style with clothing from shifting about. I prefer a big cavern like the Osprey Porter over the clamshell split zip shut.
3. Backpack in addition to tote with assorted items in the backpack, checked wheeled bags - Carry comfort becomes almost top consideration which unfortunately means trying them on with sample loads and test packing them. Some will pinch the chest area for women or rub at the neck. Some shapes might work better than others depending on what you want to carry.
4. Backpack in addition to tote with 1 wheeled carry-on bag airside - I'd probably put the bag with the heavy/expensive stuff on top and add-a-bag strap the top/side handle of the other bag to the front, like pilots do with their two wheelers. Then it's a bit more important to pick a bag which isn't too long so it doesn't drag and not oddly shaped so it doesn't swing out to the side when you round a corner. Alternatively I'd wear one of the bags and piggyback the other on the wheeled bag.

Of the bags and excluding the Synik, I like the Evergood CPL but I admit I tend to favor technical bag fabrics with high end zippers + pulls after taking into account accessibility, usability, & total bag weight. The Porter 30 looks good if I want a large unstructured space & panel access. I usually like Eagle Creek gear but the Explore bag's bottom looks angled and narrow so it might be prone to tilting forward when set on a flat surface. I also wouldn't prefer a backpack with such a small top handle in case I need to take it off and hold it in crowded areas such as an unavoidable bus gate. Plus they might not be tacked in well and prone to failing before other parts of the bag.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Nov 4, 2023 at 12:20 am
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:19 pm

For me, one of the most important considerations in choosing a pack is how much does it weigh empty? A while back I bought an LL Bean rucksack because of the overall design, and didn't check the weight of it. I've used it twice, and even only half loaded, it's too heavy - lesson learned. I looked at the some of the packs listed in this thread and some seem heavy-for-size to me, and other sites don't even list the weight of the pack, which is a red flag.
freecia likes this.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Nov 4, 2023 at 10:46 pm
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:17 pm

Eagle Creek Explore 26L
Cotopaxi allpa 28L
Osprey Sojourn Porter 30
Patagonia Refugi0 30L
Tom Bihn Synik
COR surf
LLBean Approach travel
Topo global travel
I have the Cotopaxi and absolutely love it. Surprising amount of room and extra storage pockets.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 11:18 am

I spent weeks looking at and reading reviews. Continually adding packs to my list, NOT narrowing down. Last week I made myself get finicky and knock things off the list for details ;-) I'm down to the cheapest and most expensive bags on my list Tom Bihn Synik 30 (I worry there are TOO many pockets - I will lose things and/or not maximize utility) and the Eddie Bauer voyager 30l, which is on massive sale this weekend. So, $330 or $65....Will probably order both and test pack, etc.....
Kestrel and tcl like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:54 pm

Ordered the Tom Bihn and the Eddie Bauer. Gonna keep Tom Bihn. Just prefer the shape and full clamshell. The Eddie Bauer is nice - it's more tapered which I prefer, and it has an exterior water bottle holder which I like. Hubs might keep, or I'll send it back...
freecia likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:10 pm

Tom Bihn Synik 30 (I worry there are TOO many pockets - I will lose things and/or not maximize utility)
I have a few long key straps in different colors which help me keep a few important things attached. Some with plastic o-rings, others with snaps. https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=30947340487 You don't have to use them with Tom Bihn Pouches, but if you're looking to add to a pouch collection the smaller Ghost Whales are nice for keeping small bits and ends https://www.tombihn.com/products/gho...14988003311679 I have several of the pouches shown in their video
but honestly I favor a mix of clear ziplock and silnylon for the front zones as they're more pliable and easier to see into, plus they get put in with non-pouched gear where it makes sense. Stiffer pouches tend to not mold to the odd shapes as well and result in wasted space.
tcl and Hoyaheel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.