Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel backpack

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022 | 11:06 am
Original Poster

Travel backpack

Does anyone have a good moderate cost travel back pack idea for my 23 year old daughter? Im sending my twins to Ireland this month for their uni graduation present. Like $100-200 range thanks.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 13, 2022 | 8:40 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by whitewave
Does anyone have a good moderate cost travel back pack idea for my 23 year old daughter? Im sending my twins to Ireland this month for their uni graduation present. Like $100-200 range thanks.
Is this for serious hiking/backpacking, or just as a form of luggage?
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 14, 2022 | 10:56 am
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
If it's luggage, I'd look at the couple of ebags Motherlode options, they are great. For under seat carryon size, hubs and I both have north face recon. His is a couple years older than mine and I like it better - esp outside bottle pockets. Not sure if it's the year or the woman/man style differences - I do love the angles straps on the woman's version!!

Can't help if you need good for hiking/camping/backpacking - would recommend a good chat & fitting at REI or other dedicated outdoor outfitters store.
whitewave likes this.
Old May 14, 2022 | 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Is this for serious hiking/backpacking, or just as a form of luggage?
luggage, we found a osprey day pack we are looking at
Old May 14, 2022 | 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
If it's luggage, I'd look at the couple of ebags Motherlode options, they are great. For under seat carryon size, hubs and I both have north face recon. His is a couple years older than mine and I like it better - esp outside bottle pockets. Not sure if it's the year or the woman/man style differences - I do love the angles straps on the woman's version!!

Can't help if you need good for hiking/camping/backpacking - would recommend a good chat & fitting at REI or other dedicated outdoor outfitters store.
I cant believe I forgot to check bags, thanks!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 14, 2022 | 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Update 😆

She watched some Tictok videos and she chose this one (it’s known as a dupe):

I’m happy about the price, but I really hope a strap doesn’t break or anything.

Last edited by whitewave; May 15, 2022 at 4:34 pm Reason: Said you tube but mean tik tok
Old May 15, 2022 | 7:47 am

Originally Posted by whitewave
luggage, we found a osprey day pack we are looking at
Probably not what you're looking for currently, but I just did a 10 day trip with a LeSportSac backpack as a purse alternative. We did a huge amount of walking (70+ miles over 10 days), some biking and a lot of travel by train and bus, and it was handy having the backpack instead of a purse constantly sliding off my shoulder at awkward times. The LeSportSac is very lightweight and easily stuffed into a larger bag when not needed.
tcl, Hoyaheel and whitewave like this.
Old May 15, 2022 | 10:04 am

My normal travel purse is a long strap le sportsac purse worn crossbody. (The hobo or deluxe everyday). I have several options. I also have a convertible shoulder/backpack I've worn a couple times but it's not quite as comfortable. For years I carried a nylon ameribag sling bag on vacations - anything for handsfree, but I need more than a teeny crossbody because I usually have a water bottle, scarf or cardigan, nylon shopping bag, wallet, camera/phone, lip balm, sunscreen etc. Even when I lighten things I carry, I usually don't go out for vacation adventures with just an id and some money - I need more stuff
CDTraveler and whitewave like this.
Old May 15, 2022 | 3:24 pm
20 Years on Site

I can travel fairly light and am petite but that Light Flight bag would really be testing my (pretty decent) one bagging skills for more than 4 days without a washer. It might be better as a personal item if she isn't going on a carrier limited to one bag for "free"? Just wasn't sure if it was a onebag or part of a two bag or checked bag strategy.

If it is one bag travel, Sarah Murdoch (formerly?) affiliated with Rick Steves has some good videos on better one bag packing. She's much taller than I am but the principle is similar, you want to minimize weight in addition to volume if you're one bagging in Europe with carry on weight limitations and especially if carrying it on your back/shoulders.

I also appreciate the newer "Instagram gen" of one bag and personal item options. Pack Hacker reviews a lot of them and the reviewers vary in weight, gender, and body shape, too, which is a little harder to come across. The key is to look at bag weights, suspensions, and comfort like an experienced backpacker would with outdoor gear and not get sucked in by impractical pockets (the ones which suck space from useful areas or too flat/slim) or "what if" features you'll never use. Some of the indie bags were designed by people who don't have a lot of backpack design or carrying experience who could probably also get away with onebagging across Europe in Converse shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PackHacker/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/PackHackerQuickHits/videos

Other YouTubers I look to for cottage industry bags or traveling light - Warning not to watch these if you're trying to minimize bag acquisition & purposely left unlinked to increase # of steps between here and your wallet.
Chase Reeves
Bo Ismono
Packing Less
Crossover Daypack Reviews
tcl, Hoyaheel and whitewave like this.
Old May 15, 2022 | 4:37 pm
Original Poster

freecia thank you for those links. She is taking 1 check on and 1 carry on, but she wants something to carry around all day (she doesn’t use purses and can’t understand why purses are a thing lol) and for if they go to Belfast for the night.
Old May 30, 2022 | 10:16 am
15 Years on Site

Sling bag

I don't really carry a purse, I carry one of these. Bellroy Sling bag. Lots of sling type bags out there. I also have an Osprey real Backpack that I "travel" with, then use the crossbody when I get to my destination.

I'm in Argentina at the moment, and lots of young people either have a daypack, or one of these. Men and women.

Amazon Amazon
whitewave likes this.
Old May 31, 2022 | 10:00 am
Original Poster

I’m in Dublin now. 🍀 my daughter was Covid + and unable to care for herself, so I flew over on Monday. Her brother continues to test negative and flew back yesterday to the US.
Old Oct 31, 2023 | 6:47 am

freecia - I'm going to go look up some of your video recs; I watched a LOT of PackHacker yesterday. I'm looking for a new travel backpack - cleaned out our backpacks this past weekend (finally getting rid of the backpack that took me around europe in 1992/93 ;-( and other options we aren't using) I want a new backpack - big enough to use as a carry-on (but if it ALSO fits under an airplane seat if underpacked, that's great too) Contemplating around 30L, I think, and want something more ergonomically comfortable (and a little smaller) than the ebags motherlode jr. Currently, cotopaxi allpa and osprey sojourner porter leading my list, but if anyone has other recs, would love! I've also checked the Travel Products forum, but I know you all here will give nicely targeted recs ;-)
gretchendz, CDTraveler and tcl like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023 | 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
freecia - I'm going to go look up some of your video recs; I watched a LOT of PackHacker yesterday. I'm looking for a new travel backpack - cleaned out our backpacks this past weekend (finally getting rid of the backpack that took me around europe in 1992/93 ;-( and other options we aren't using) I want a new backpack - big enough to use as a carry-on (but if it ALSO fits under an airplane seat if underpacked, that's great too) Contemplating around 30L, I think, and want something more ergonomically comfortable (and a little smaller) than the ebags motherlode jr. Currently, cotopaxi allpa and osprey sojourner porter leading my list, but if anyone has other recs, would love! I've also checked the Travel Products forum, but I know you all here will give nicely targeted recs ;-)
In the past, I would have recommended a LeSportSac pack - I have a small one I bought 2008 that I love, and have used on many trips - but I bought I slightly larger one this year, and, frankly, I hate it. They've redesigned the pockets very much for the worse, and while the height and weight of it are fine, it is far too shallow front to back to be of much use.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023 | 7:16 am

LeSportSac - I love the brand, but they won't have the structure or comfort (esp in the straps) I want for this bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.