Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you not feel gross during/after flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

I am always surprised when people talk about needing to moisturize during flights. I feel like as soon as I sit down, my face and hair just feel so gross. It doesn't matter if I do regular makeup, light makeup or no makeup. I have a few long international trips coming up in E+ at best.

I think a lot of it is a mental thing, just thinking about how dirty planes are, but I still can't stand it. Does anyone have any tips for clothes/face/hair and not feeling like you need to run off the plane directly to a shower? I feel so slobby if I don't wear "real" clothes, but then I'm uncomfortable for 10+ hours. I feel weird without any eyeliner but it greases right off on the plane anyway. Help!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I do use a moisturizer during long flights, but I also start off with a nice packable wipe (whatever face cleansing wipe I have at home - I pack in ziploc bags) I can remove makeup as needed and then my face is ready to receive the moisturizer I'll add before I try to sleep.

I also try to sleep with my hair off my face - I don't like putting it in a ponytail holder but sometimes a wide stretchy band to keep it back from my face is nice. I'll usually put it up before deplaning (I don't like using a dry shampoo on the plane but might when I get into the arrival airport if I feel like it)

Of course, I'm over 40 now, and things aren't as "dewy" as they used to be. Your needs will vary based on your age, skin type etc.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Wow, so there really ARE women on this site! Nice to meet you, ladies. I've given up on eye makeup on the plane for long-hauls - the eyemask is going to be on for most of it anyway. I love the Ole Henriksen Truth To Go wipes from Sephora - they smell like orange and vanilla. And after I use it on my face, I'll wipe down the arms of the chair so I feel ever so slightly less grimy. I'll do one before I sleep and put on moisturizer, and then another when I wake up, with more moisturizer. And deodorant. And I'll keep lip gloss and mascara in my purse at my feet. I accept that I'll look like crap going through customs, but I'm almost 40 and married, so I guess I'm over it. I'll at least feel (and smell) human.

For clothes, I love to just thrown on leggings, a long top, a wrap sweater, and soft boots that cover my compression socks. There really is a happy medium between business suits and pajamas.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:45 am

One thing I like almost better than deodorant is fresh underwear (old ones go into ziploc bag that held my wipes ;-)

As for clothing - there are lots of other posts about what people like to wear on long haul flights. Mine depends on climate (at home and at destination) but typically it's some variation of a ponte knit pant (not a legging) with a cotton shirt, cardigan & scarf. I bring slippers for the plane (I'm not flying business class, so I have to bring my own) and wear my bulkiest shoes/boots.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GfL
I change into (presentable) pajamas plus a sweater on top for long-haul flights--nothing goofy, just the plain dark blue jim jams that BA hands out in F. I wear compression socks and travel slippers for the flight. Bra off for the duration of the flight; fresh underwear goes on at the end. When I'm in the lav changing back into my clothes at the end of the flight, I do a little wipe-down of any body areas that may have gotten sweaty, using whatever wipes are to hand, and re-apply deodorant. I don't wear makeup, so my face just gets a little wash/wipe at the end of the flight.

That said, for almost all long-hauls I am traveling in J and get lounge (shower) access at arrivals, which I use religiously. It wakes me up and also sorts out my hair, which inevitably ends up flattened to my head after a night flight, even if it's clean.

I don't see why planes would be any dirtier than any other environment. Wash your hands and you're fine.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
This is an interesting/fun thread. I'm almost 45 yrs old married with kids and reading your posts made me realize that I need to step up my game a little
When I'm traveling and depending on the climate, the clothes are usually comfortable (long yoga pants) with a couple cotton knit tanks and longer knit tops/sweater to layer so that I can take off as needed and it's not wrinkled upon waking up. I'm a classic minimalist so usually no makeup or very minimum (eyeliner/clear mascara). Just washing up etc and moisturizing helps tremendously. I love lotions etc but find that the Oil of Olay brand (old school) is just the right texture for my skin on the plane. Must haves: Chapstick, Clorox wipes (they sell in a travel pack size) to wipe down everything (screen, armrests, trays, buckles) and always have antibacterial wipes/gels on hand, plus my favorite scarf/pashmina and favorite plush socks.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:04 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Depending on the length of the flight, a shower at the destination is best

However, for redeye and flights longer than 7 hours my basics are Olay face wash cloths (the foaming type) usually at the destination airport and rinse off with warm water. I do this on the plane if I'm not sure about the airport facilities. Plus, I have a travel toothbrush and toothpaste.

For longer flights, I use the single-use paper moisturizing masks plus have a small wash cloth with me.

I always have a few hair ties and tie my hair back to prevent it getting overly static.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:56 pm

My skin and lips usually feel overly dry so I pack a sleeping mask and chapstick. That's a different feeling of "stuff on the face" anyhow.

For hair, I bring clips and a folding comb.

All of this goes into a seat accessible amenity kit.

+1 for shower upon arrival (for me, usually at hotel).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by horse glasses
I think a lot of it is a mental thing, just thinking about how dirty planes are,
No dirtier than the airport, I would think .

I feel weird without any eyeliner but it greases right off on the plane anyway. Help!
I have found that gel eyeliners (the type that you put on with a brush like Stila Smudge Pots) tend to stay put through long haul flights. Also if you use a lash primer under your mascara that will keep it in place until you decide to take it off. Blotting papers can help with grease and shine if that's an issue.

Originally Posted by tcl
However, for redeye and flights longer than 7 hours my basics are Olay face wash cloths (the foaming type) usually at the destination airport and rinse off with warm water.
The Olay face cloths are awesome. I always keep these in my tank bag and slipping one into your carry on is a great idea. Cleanser and cloth all in one, toss when you're done. Great for washing up and refreshing yourself after a flight...thanks for the suggestion tcl!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Interestingly enough I will be taking my first long haul international flight next month. (SEA to VCE) Since it is for our company, I am in E+ (upgraded on my own dime) and I had wondered what people back in coach do for the overnight flights. Does one actually change clothes on the plane into sleepwear? and then back upon arrival? It seems like there would not be enough rest rooms to allow this. I figured I would just wear clothes I could sleep in. Since I never wear makeup that part is not an issue with me, but the moisturizer is. Great tips about the wipes I will have to make sure I change my normal carryon to have these in there.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
Interestingly enough I will be taking my first long haul international flight next month. (SEA to VCE) Since it is for our company, I am in E+ (upgraded on my own dime) and I had wondered what people back in coach do for the overnight flights.
OK, this is my exeprience only.

I'm one of those that fly steerage for long haul flights and it never occurred to me to change clothes for overnight flights. I can't imagine why I'd do it, regardless of what class I was flying. I always fly in comfortable clothing. Part of my go to ensemble for overnight long haul flights is a pair of trousers with a bit of stretch (made by Calvin Klein, these are nearly as comfortable as leggings...waistband, zip and all). I can contort myself into whatever random position for sleeping and the trousers are perfectly comfy yet still hold their shape when I'm up and moving. I pair that with a blazer and either loose button down or vest. Business to casual by removing the blazer (if I'm warm enough).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:45 pm

I do not change clothing (I have not flown international business or first; have flown premium voyageur) I wear clothing in which I can sleep. There never seems to be a good time to change clothing or access the lavs (much busier in the back than up front, I guess ;-)

I do put slippers on/take shoes off.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:06 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by rsqrott

The Olay face cloths are awesome. I always keep these in my tank bag and slipping one into your carry on is a great idea. Cleanser and cloth all in one, toss when you're done. Great for washing up and refreshing yourself after a flight...thanks for the suggestion tcl!
I prefer the foaming ones that need water because I find that the waterless ones (aka baby wipes) leave a film and fragrance on my face that makes me feel worse than not having washed my face at all. I also like having one of the ultra lightweight/throw away type of thin cotton facecloths to dip in warm water and put on my face during the flight. I used to bring the Evian spritzes but my 3-1-1 baggie is full.

I also almost always have a mini tub of vaseline in my carry-on somewhere that I use for lip moisturizer and as a cuticle moisturizer.

On long flights I usually bring a pair of elastic-waisted lightweight cotton PJ pants. I prefer them over yoga pants because they are more modest. I may have leggings but would only wear those with a tunic top or a skirt I can pull over them. Otherwise I just wear loose trousers.

If you have space in your carry-on, bring a pair of Isotoner terry ballet slippers with the rubber bottom. Don't forget to bring an extra plastic bag to put it in. These are easy to wash and dry and prevent your feet from touching the icky bathroom floor while also providing a secure grip while walking around the plane.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
Originally Posted by tcl
bring a pair of Isotoner terry ballet slippers with the rubber bottom. Don't forget to bring an extra plastic bag to put it in. These are easy to wash and dry and prevent your feet from touching the icky bathroom floor while also providing a secure grip while walking around the plane.
Oh! Super idea! Have you ever been on a flight to/fr Beijing?? The floor is gross. Watch where you step! However, I might find something I can toss.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:46 am

Yes, the slippers I bring are isotoners (not terry but thin & easy to pack).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.