Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warm wet weather footwear.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:54 pm
tcl
Original Poster

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Warm wet weather footwear.

I'm currently looking for footwear for when it's warm and wet out. There is an existing thread on wet weather footwear for the cold months, but I am specifically looking for ideas for rain shoes for warmer weather such as we've been experiencing in the NE.

I have some favourite walking and travel shoes for the warmer months, but often they are not wet weather friendly for various reasons. Some have suede footbeds that quickly stink when drenched in a downpour, others are too casual [Chacos, Tevas, Crocs] for client meetings. I've also tried LLBean's Coastal Rain Skimmers that looked perfect online but they are cut in such a way that the edge of the shoe rubs and puts pressure on the bunion bone (I'm just starting to develop a slight bunion).

Does anyone have any recommendations for warm wet weather footwear?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by tcl
I have some favourite walking and travel shoes for the warmer months, but often they are not wet weather friendly for various reasons. Some have suede footbeds that quickly stink when drenched in a downpour, others are too casual [Chacos, Tevas, Crocs] for client meetings. I've also tried LLBean's Coastal Rain Skimmers that looked perfect online but they are cut in such a way that the edge of the shoe rubs and puts pressure on the bunion bone (I'm just starting to develop a slight bunion).

Crocs makes more than the basic casual clog, have you looked at their website for other styles?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have a pair of mary janes from Lands End I can wear to work - they're basically a water shoe but don't look it. Because they're fabric and not rubber/plastic, I get away with it. Wish I had them in black but mine are moss. Sadly, the version they have now is much more athletic looking than the pair I have http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-ma...48842_253.html

This isn't waterproof, but looks like it might hold up ok: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-ev...50486_253.html

These are cute too: http://www.shoebuy.com/cudas-catalina/617454/1268864

Ooh, Ecco -goretex? http://www.shoebuy.com/ecco-rise-gtx.../396208/846703

Cute but probably HOT and not comfy to walk any distance: http://www.shoebuy.com/dav-flat-logo/508674/1070600

This rain skimmer looks like a belgian loafer and comes in lots of colors http://www.shoebuy.com/nomad-drizzle/275507/592448

I guess if I really need to dress "professional" and none of the waterproof/resistant options are appropriate, I'd change shoes....
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
This rain skimmer looks like a belgian loafer and comes in lots of colors http://www.shoebuy.com/nomad-drizzle/275507/592448
What's a Belgian loafer?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
What's a Belgian loafer?
A loafer style with contrast color piping and often a bow. Very preppy,, I adore them! I don't own any of the original shoes, but back as a teen in the 80s (in Connecticut) I had the Pappagallo version....

http://www.belgianshoes.com/
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:39 pm

A loafer style with contrast color piping and often a bow. Very preppy,, I adore them! I don't own any of the original shoes, but back as a teen in the 80s (in Connecticut) I had the Pappagallo version....

http://www.belgianshoes.com/
Hmmm.

My Mom always wore bedroom slippers like that, so I associate them more with her pink quilted robe than preppyhood. Can't quite imagine them as executive footwear.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Can't quite imagine them as executive footwear.
Well, we all have different styles, certainly I can't see crocs (any of them) as executive footwear either. The original poster didn't give any specifics on style, so I'm just throwing some ideas out....

I would certainly wear (leather at least, not sure about the rubber) belgian loafers for client meetings. If others can't - because they're not corporate enough or because they look like their mom's bedroom slippers, well, there's other fish in the sea, yes?^
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:23 pm

Well, we all have different styles, certainly I can't see crocs (any of them) as executive footwear either. The original poster didn't give any specifics on style, so I'm just throwing some ideas out....
Well, I mainly suggested Crocs (http://www.crocs.com/crocs-grace-hee...ar-heelsWedges) because the OP mentioned them. I've been wearing mine a lot lately because we've had hideous amounts of rain here, and they're more comfortable than soggy sneakers.

I would certainly wear (leather at least, not sure about the rubber) belgian loafers for client meetings. If others can't - because they're not corporate enough or because they look like their mom's bedroom slippers, well, there's other fish in the sea, yes?^
Back in the day when I wore suits to work, the standard footwear was a classic pump with a heel under 2 inches, and no bow, as such a feminine touch was considered unprofessional. Times change, and I am quite glad that my wardrobe is no longer based on suits or pumps!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tcl
I'm currently looking for footwear for when it's warm and wet out. There is an existing thread on wet weather footwear for the cold months, but I am specifically looking for ideas for rain shoes for warmer weather such as we've been experiencing in the NE.

Have you tried LL Bean's Storm Chasers? I have them and they are great for warm weather and will keep your feet dry in a downpour. With the rain we've had in NYC this month, I can attest to that. Plus they are comfortable and support your feet for walking.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/79178...m-chasers-clog

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80556...ductId=1255623
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
My all time favorite travel shoe in any weather is the Gentle Souls Gabby. That being said, for rain I have found that it's nice to wear something with a taller base like a Dansko clog so that your feet are elevated from the puddles.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:45 am
tcl
Original Poster

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Thanks for all the recommendations

I ordered and received these Crocs Mary Janes from Zappos but sadly they refuse to stay on my feet. I think I am between sizes with Crocs and find that if I size down, I'm okay with most of their open foot sandal-type footwear, but once it's closed or partially closed, they won't stay on my foot

The Landsend ones look a bit too sporty, but look like they may work for a vacation shoe I'm just waiting to see if the SO wants anything else so I can place an order. Will report back on them even though they are not quite what I was looking for.

I was looking at garden clog type shoes and even ankle wellies originally but found that they can be quite heavy. The thing is, when I lived in the city, I would wear proper wellies and then change shoes when I got to work or to where my meeting is. But having moved away and having to do whole day turnaround trips across the NE, wellies are a bit bulky, heavy and awkward to carry all day if I'm not wearing them. So I was hoping for something compact, semi professional and lighter in weight. With the Crocs Mary Janes mentioned above, I was still planning on changing shoes before going into the meetings, but at least they are compact enough to hide in a large ziplock in my tote.

I'm going to look again at what LLBean has. Their Bean boot is a cold weather staple, but sadly the shoe version doesn't stay on my foot, most likely because I have narrower heels.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Have you considered Sperry Topsiders?

Patent Boat Shoe

Cormorant Rubber Slip-on

You also might consider shoes popular with chefs, as they are designed for both comfort and wet situations:

Keen Utility

Or look at brands like Merrell or Teva.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
If you are "starting to get a bunion," you need to be really really careful with your shoe choices. I speak from experience, having had multiple surgeries on my bunioned feet.

I recently discovered great water shoes with built in orthotics, well, great arch support in the foot bed. Try the Walking Company's Abeo line of shoes. I just purchased the "Delta H2O Post" shoes and now I can plan a trip to Costa Rica to climb and rappel the waterfalls. The company has a number of water shoes, several with adjustable toe straps.

Don't expect to wear the same shoes outside in the rain and inside the office. You will need to carry your work shoes in a tote, or leave them at the office for indoor wear.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:13 pm

^
Wearing these now. The top is fabric and more malleable to your foot shape than the other way around. They're decent in the rain thanks to the Gore Tex, though I tend to go around puddles as it is not a high top shoe. It also packs down nicely and it is fairly light. Bonus points for being a slip on/off for those TSA non-preCheck times.

I work in a fairly casually dressed office and don't wear these shoes with skinny jeans because I think it makes my feet look funny which makes me a bit self conscious. Maybe if it was cut a bit higher or lower? I also don't wear them with skirts for the same reason. It is fine with slacks or straight/boot cut pants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.