Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Travel Tips for Women?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Um, not everyone, everywhere. Granted, I'd be cautious about some random strange male chatting me up, but I don't automatically assume everyplace is as threatening as, say Delhi.
Oh definitely, I wasn't trying to make it out to sound that way, sorry! It is more like we operate on a different mode of caution than men in general.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:01 pm

I second JJ Bittenbinder- he did a couple of shows on PBS in Chicago and I thought he was great. I am not overly fearful when I travel- I've only had one problem in a US cab- I was sharing a cab to the Minneapolis airport with a colleague and the cab driver asked a lot of questions that made me uneasy- we were supposed to get out at different terminals- but he just didn't feel right, so I got out with her. I love my i-phone because I can put in directions and track where the cab driver is going. If I have any questions about whether a particular area is safe, I ask the front desk at the hotel. Also, in cities that have it- I love the Uber app which will call a car or taxi for you. It's been very reliable. I travel all over the US for business and still go out in the evening, I just use the same precautions that I would in Chicago.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I don't think I have fax capability on the mobile. Also, I am always roaming so the phone is usually on lockdown. That's an interesting idea though... Even pick up and carry out would just be a short wait.
Have you seen VoxOx iphone app which allows you to send faxes via an iphone?

http://www.voxox.com/index/call/call-iphone/
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by freecia
Have you seen VoxOx iphone app which allows you to send faxes via an iphone?

http://www.voxox.com/index/call/call-iphone/
App looks interesting. I have the phone call capabilities disabled on my phone though, since ALL voice calls are wrong numbers. I have only data and SMS. I'll have to ask The Brother, who's a cell technology person, which resource the app uses. The blurb mentions "no data" so it seems to use the voice/phone resource.
Thanks for having the eye out!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: DL UA
I think the comments about walking with a purpose and dressing in line with the area are the best.Also, even before I was married I wore a simple gold band when I was in "macho" cultures. It was amazing how much less attention I got wearing that ( which I suppose had it's down side but it was safer;-) )
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I don't walk around with a big foldy map either (I'm sure someone's mentioned this already) although you can get away with a street map A-Z book in some places, London being one of them. I see locals (my cousin in law, who is a solicitor there, among them) walking around with them, worn and tabbed up, because the streets are insane. Smartphones help now, but of course don't flash one if it would make you conspicuous.

And I'd stay away from white sneakers if you don't want to stand out. Something about that labels you a tourist.

I've done the ring thing too, prior to a Mr Pup7. I have a very nice diamond ring from him that I've left at home in favor of a very pretty sterling silver cheapie, or I just wear a plain band, if I'm some place where it would be out of place. In fact, most of the jewelry I take are very nice sterling fakes.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:38 pm

You know, until I read this thread I never considered that I was more cautious traveling alone because I am a woman, just more cautious because I am alone. Now I'm not sure which is true!

I am very careful about maps in particular. I learn where I need to go and either write down the directions myself in a notebook or look it up on my phone. I don't make eye contact and I definitely walk with purpose, even if it means I head the wrong direction out of the subway at first. When I traveled to Europe in a group we were advised to avoid t-shirts with English as to avoid obviously being a tourist-not sure how true that is now since that was ten years ago, but it seems like okay advice.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:36 am
Suspended

Grareful on Advice

Wow, I'm new here but I think I will learn from the responses here. I am planning to travel and kind of worry to do it alone.

Thanks for all the advices here. Now, I got tips from the expert!

Old May 13, 2013, 1:35 pm

Look for women's tours that are guaranteed by an industry group, take a credit card, belong to IATAN and answer the phone with a human being.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:01 pm

I would never travel to UAEmirates after what happened to Alicia Gallipoli, she was drugged, gang raped and then jailed for 8 months when she reported rape, she was charged with 'adultery'!!!!!

Primitive judicial and social system and as a woman will not succumb to the advertised luxury of Dubai and the UAE airline, outrageous
Old May 13, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
So when you're standing there at the map kiosk/signboard/info desk and trying to figure out where you are and where to go next, you're supposed to assume that any man who approaches you is an evil pervert and that you'll look credible just walking off?
Yes. Regular guys usually don't approach strange women to offer unsolicited advice. They respect them and leave them alone unless specifically asked.

Advice for women: Walk briskly to/from places like you're on your way to an important appointment. I learned this trick from a nurse. She says she never gets accosted

Here's why:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/201...e_victims.html

. Another "trick": make eye contact. It's assertive. To avoid eye contact is submissive and that's how women are "marked"- they appear victimize-able.

I used to wonder why every weirdo, creep, and ex-convict always chose ME out of a crowd. I read that article and said "Ooooohhhh.. THAT's why" I since changed my attitude and walk while out and it's completely changed my life.

Oh- forgot one more thing: Are you American? American women put themselves in danger because they feel it necessary to be polite. Don't do that. We think the French are "rude" because they don't smile and say hi to every stranger they meet, like we do. Many women have been victimized because they didn't leave a situation for fear of "I didn't want him to think I was racist/rude/abrupt" if in a situation where you feel "funny" leave immediately! Don't worry what some nobody thinks of you. And don't smile at strangers. In Europe, and many parts (all?) of Asia its considered a "come on".

Last edited by fleef; May 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm Reason: had to add something
Old May 14, 2013, 3:45 am

Programs: AA XP, HH. Global Entry, Pre-Check
Hotel Room Doors

After all the press last year about easy it was (is) to compromise hotel room key cards, I now always throw a cheap plastic doorstop in my bag and wedge it under the hotel room door at night. Helps me sleep better.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by fleef
Yes. Regular guys usually don't approach strange women to offer unsolicited advice. They respect them and leave them alone unless specifically asked.
Ridiculous, just utterly and totally ridiculous. Decent human beings are capable of offering to help others without ulterior motives.

Advice for women: Walk briskly to/from places like you're on your way to an important appointment. I learned this trick from a nurse. She says she never gets accosted
I don't get accosted, either. A brief conversation does not count as being "accosted" in my world.

I used to wonder why every weirdo, creep, and ex-convict always chose ME out of a crowd. I read that article and said "Ooooohhhh.. THAT's why" I since changed my attitude and walk while out and it's completely changed my life.
You changed your life based on a blog that admits the study it discusses may well be BS?

From your link:
The sample size here is really small, so I’d caution against giving this study’s findings too much weight. Nevertheless, it reinforces something that seems pretty intuitive. Criminals aren’t looking for a challenge. Rather, they want someone timid and inattentive. So bound down the street like you own it. Your new, aggressive gait may deter criminals. And even if this study turns out to be total BS, you’ll still get where you’re going a lot faster. Everyone’s a winner!
One person's "intuitive" may be another person's rubbish.

Oh- forgot one more thing: Are you American? American women put themselves in danger because they feel it necessary to be polite. Don't do that.
Stereotypes? Is that the best justification you can offer for living in fear of other people?
Old May 21, 2013, 4:38 am
Suspended

Thanks for all the tips you shared. Now I know better what to do when I travel alone. Please share more of your experiences so I can learn more.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I disagree with the whole "make eye contact" theory. It seems to me that if I make eye contact with a guy, he seems to take it as an invitation to approach. Instead of assertiveness, it seems to be taken more as a "hey, I see you and I've looked at you, come talk to me."

I prefer the walk with a purpose, notice people, but not engage with eye contact approach. If someone approaches or speaks to me, then I think eye contact is appropriate along with body language that says, "yes, how can I help you?" rather than "Hey, glad you came over."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.