Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Travel Tips for Women?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:26 am

If you meet a guy named Jack, he's a great guy.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
If you meet a guy named Jack, he's a great guy.
And Jack the Ripper is a saint.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:57 pm

The advice for traveling is the same as when you're at home; use common sense!

Keep your head up and pay attention your surroundings. Simply knowing where the exits are and where people can approach you from will go a long ways towards keeping you safe.
Walk with purpose (you don't look "like a victim" that way and you also don't get in the way of other people).
See that dark, lonely alley? Stay out of it! :P
People are your friend, stay within easy shouting distance.
Listen to your instincts! If someone approaches you and sets off all of your internal red flags, pay attention! Go into the nearest hotel lobby, restaurant or store.
Don't drink that! If you didn't get it directly from the waitstaff or bartender, don't drink it. If you put your drink down and leave it unattended then don't drink anymore of it.
Don't assume that other women are automatically safe.
Don't sling your purse over the back of your chair or just drop it on the floor at your feet. Put the strap across your body and let it sit in your lap or behind you (if you're sitting against the wall).
Don't walk right along the street unless you have to and then be sure to keep your purse away from the road. If someone does grab it from a scooter (well known trick in many cities) LET IT GO! Be sure that the strap can just come off over your head without dragging you or catching your head/neck. There's nothing in there that you can't replace so don't fight for it. If someone on foot mugs you, the purse goes one way and you go the other as fast as you can.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Know the phone number for emergency services in the country to which you are traveling. If you have an emergency, you don't want to be trying to figure out how to get a hold of the police or paramedics.

Don't assume taxis are safe. Consider the country to which you are traveling and the time you will be arriving. Consider whether a car service is a better choice.

Last edited by dj506; Oct 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm Reason: Forgot one
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Disclosure...male VP with female managers in field offices.....and twin 15 year old young ladies ...

Strongly recommend "tough target" by retired Detective JJ Bittenbinder, Chicago PD for both women and men...

Excerpts are on the web, but this book is worth having.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by travellerGo
Avoid or limit road travel at night as well especially if you are not familiar with the place
Who makes up these "rules?" Somebody afraid to leave home?

I've driven coast to coast across the US and Maine to Florida over the past few years, and much of it was at night. Use some common sense, keep your car in good repair, read the map before you leave and start out with a full tank of gas. Driving long distances at night is far less stressful because the roads are so much less crowded.

Being female should not equal being fearful.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:06 pm

If you must use a cab when it feels risky, one thing you can do is make a point of telling somebody in front of the cab driver where you are going and that you are expected so the driver knows he can be easily be traced if you go missing. If that's not viable, at least let the driver overhear you calling someone on your cell saying you are on your way from _____ in a _____ cab and expect to arrive in ____ minutes, even if you have to fake the call.

About elevators, fairly often I will wait for the next one if its going to be just me and a male stranger. Would wait for the next cab as well, if the driver gives me a bad vibe.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA
One of my rules is don't be out walking around at night in shoes or clothes you couldn't run in.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Well, I am a male but I decided to read this forum out of boredom, and I thought I'd chime in with my thoughts. I certainly agree that women need to be extra cautious about their surroundings, but it always bothers me when women simply assume that all men are out to get them. Case in point: one time I was at a hostel in New Orleans and I wanted to go out to Bourbon Street and have some drinks. So I started asking around if anyone wanted to come. First person I ran into was a girl, when I asked her she looked at me rather suspiciously and said "sorry I have plans". So I moved on and asked some other people. Within 5 minutes there was a group of 6 of us (4 guys and 2 girls) ready to head out. That first girl then came over and tried to join, but I sternly told her "you said you had other plans" and she walked away disappointed.

I realize that I shouldn't criticize anyone until I've walked a mile in their shoes, but I felt like sharing this anecdote. Be alert, use your common sense, and don't put yourself at risk, but don't be paranoid either.

PS Sorry if it's bad form for a male to post here. If so, moderators plese feel free to delete this.

Last edited by cbn42; Dec 19, 2012 at 12:52 am
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: DL, AA
Welcome, cbn42. You are welcome to post here.

(Just don't ask us for a drink. LOL)

Seriously, I agree that some women may be overly cautious. However they are probably very cautious whether traveling or not. However, may I ask for more details? Did you approach this woman and ask her to go with you for a few drinks? Or did you explain you were trying to get a group together to go to Bourbon Street? Your intent may be the same, but the two questions come across totally differently.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by scoow
Seriously, I agree that some women may be overly cautious. However they are probably very cautious whether traveling or not. However, may I ask for more details? Did you approach this woman and ask her to go with you for a few drinks? Or did you explain you were trying to get a group together to go to Bourbon Street? Your intent may be the same, but the two questions come across totally differently.
I should have made it clear that I was trying to get a group together (which is very common at hostels). I can't remember the exact wording of what I said at this point, but I certainly wouldn't make it sound like I was just asking her to come with me, since that would seem creepy. I'm guessing she was afraid that no one else would come and she would not be able to back out, or maybe it was just a reflexive response.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by carole_d
I was jet lagged and had put in a full day's work, so it didn't occur to me until the doors were closing. Another lesson learned: pay extra attention to your surroundings when you know you're tired.

I agree with all of the above except number three. In Malaysia, "snatch thefts" are very common. Two men on a motorcycle (or scooter) pull up and the passenger grabs a woman's bag. Several women have been killed being dragged down the road.

I carry a small purse with a shoulder strap and keep it tucked snugly under my arm. I also carry it on the side away from the street and walk near the buildings (away from the road). Additionally, I keep anything that I can't live without (i.e. passport) somewhere other than my purse.
What do you all think about Pacsafe's purses? Are they as secure as advertised?

Last edited by megan; Dec 27, 2012 at 5:07 pm Reason: spelling error!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by megan
I'm looking at their website now. It seems that purses with short straps can easily be stolen as they can be taken right off your arm. Like this one: http://pacsafe.com/citysafe-75-gii-anti-theft-purse

All of the slash guards can't stop a thief from grabbing it from you.

Any purse you can wear across your body is a MUCH more secure purse. Like this: http://pacsafe.com/slingsafe-100-gii-anti-theft-handbag

Note the model is showing it worn across her body.

Last edited by Analise; Dec 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by megan
No.

Any purse is only as safe as the amount of caution you take with it, and frankly if I encounter a really determined purse snatcher I'd rather he took the bag than my life. As someone else mentioned, scooter riding purse thieves have caused death to some women who fought for their bags and serious injury to others. A friend of my mother's ended up with a broken pelvis after a purse thief in Naples dragged her half a block with his scooter - she was tangled in the purse strap and couldn't get free of it. If someone with a knife wants to cut my purse strap, I'm not going to argue and end up with the knife in me.

Based on this thread, I'd say I take more travel risks than many, but I'm not going to fight someone for things that can be replaced. Being alert is probably a better way to keep your purse safe than a Pacsafe bag.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
I should have made it clear that I was trying to get a group together (which is very common at hostels). I can't remember the exact wording of what I said at this point, but I certainly wouldn't make it sound like I was just asking her to come with me, since that would seem creepy. I'm guessing she was afraid that no one else would come and she would not be able to back out, or maybe it was just a reflexive response.
Women see things in a very different manner as men. Imagine you walking down a rather dangerous neighbourhood after dark; that's basically how we operate everywheree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.