Wiki Posts
Search

Packable, stylish raincoat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:03 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by missydarlin
so, you're going to organize a Tent Sale Do, yes?
A shopping DO couldn't be a bad thing ... :-)
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This raincoat is perfect for travel and for home. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65927...nch-mesh-lined

This one for colder weather: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65928...nch-wool-lined
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:18 am

Travelsmith has their packable reversible raincoats on sale.

http://www.travelsmith.com/reversibl...e/women/754492

http://www.travelsmith.com/packable-...e/women/721501

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Nov 2, 2013 at 8:41 am
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:39 pm

I like the LLBean H2Off coats too. I've had my 3/4-length mesh-lined one for over a decade and I still smile when I see the water bead up on it. I've considered the wool-lined one but my part of the country tends to get cold OR wet, not often together. If there is a cold rainy day I'll just put a fleece on underneath.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I might consider buying second hand.

How do LL Bean and Mycra Pac run?
I tend to take US size 0-2 in tops and size 4-6 in bottoms. What is the best knee length raincoat size for me at these 2 brands?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:36 am

I just purchased a nice Cole Haan packable raincoat. Not as much versatility as the Mycra Pac (and no hood), classic trench coat style. It has a zip out "thermore" liner and an interior pocket (which is a huge deal for me). The coat also comes along with it's own travel bag.

I came across the coat on Ruelala but it's gone now. The style # is 351MP535 if anyone feels like hunting. Looks like it can be found on Amazon (but for that price I'd buy the Mycra Pac). I haven't had the opportunity to test it in the wet but I was surprisingly comfortable in it today about 35 degrees F and blustery.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by hightide
How do LL Bean and Mycra Pac run?
I tend to take US size 0-2 in tops and size 4-6 in bottoms. What is the best knee length raincoat size for me at these 2 brands?
I tend to think LLBean runs a little large, but it could just be the sizing is a little different than other brands. Their Medium is 10-12, not 8-10 the way it is for many other brands.

I just found an LLBean H2Off full length trench with removable hood and wood blend zip-in liner at Goodwill. $20. Looks brand new, so I bought it. I don't have a trench nor a "stylish" (eg business appropriate) rain coat, just goretex lime green. I haven't worn it in weather, but water from the faucet definitely beads up and rolls right off.

I am a 10-12, medium/large bottom and large top but the coat I bought was a Petite Medium and I have plenty of space to wear a light or possible medium weight sweater underneath. Not sure about a blazer- haven't tried that.

LLBean has sizing charts - and they have actual measurements - eg if your chest is 33, XS might work for you.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I tend to think LLBean runs a little large, but it could just be the sizing is a little different than other brands. Their Medium is 10-12, not 8-10 the way it is for many other brands.

I just found an LLBean H2Off full length trench with removable hood and wood blend zip-in liner at Goodwill. $20. Looks brand new, so I bought it. I don't have a trench nor a "stylish" (eg business appropriate) rain coat, just goretex lime green. I haven't worn it in weather, but water from the faucet definitely beads up and rolls right off.

I am a 10-12, medium/large bottom and large top but the coat I bought was a Petite Medium and I have plenty of space to wear a light or possible medium weight sweater underneath. Not sure about a blazer- haven't tried that.

LLBean has sizing charts - and they have actual measurements - eg if your chest is 33, XS might work for you.
Thanks, I did refer to the size chart but they only provided chest measurements for a coat that runs through the hips. The problem is my chest is 32-33" but my hips are pushing 39" so I'm worried that the size of my hips might rip the XS

Is the coat generous around the hip area?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by hightide
Thanks, I did refer to the size chart but they only provided chest measurements for a coat that runs through the hips. The problem is my chest is 32-33" but my hips are pushing 39" so I'm worried that the size of my hips might rip the XS

Is the coat generous around the hip area?
The Myra Pac raincoat and Travelsmith Short Reversible Accordion-Hood Raincoat are generous in the hips as they flare as they go down.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
The Myra Pac raincoat and Travelsmith Short Reversible Accordion-Hood Raincoat are generous in the hips as they flare as they go down.
Good to know, thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have the full length LLBean coat and it's a bit A-line so I do think it's generous through the hips. (heck, I bought a Petite Medium and I have a hard time thinking of myself as either petite or medium, despite my weight loss of the past year ;-)

Another idea - LLBean does have an online chat option on their website - you could ask if they have the hip measurements for the coat you're looking at (even if you're really looking at secondhand) I have done that for a hat my husband was interested in - no measurements were listed and his head is BIG. They actually measured a hat for me (not LLBean; another company) Can't hurt to try ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.