FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Packable, stylish raincoat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1386337-packable-stylish-raincoat.html)

Katja Sep 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Packable, stylish raincoat

I've been lusting after a Mycra Pac raincoat for a while, but haven't been able to bring myself to pay the price.

Today I noticed that TravelSmith seems to be selling a knock-off: http://www.travelsmith.com/packable-...uterwear/22154

Anyone seen this coat or have any comments?

MissJoeyDFW Sep 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Katja (Post 19291505)
I've been lusting after a Mycra Pac raincoat for a while, but haven't been able to bring myself to pay the price.

Today I noticed that TravelSmith seems to be selling a knock-off: http://www.travelsmith.com/packable-...uterwear/22154

Here is a website that shows several different photos and colors of that coat. http://www.oohlalatx.com/mycra_pac.aspx

I believe that l'etoile owns a Mycra Pac.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...ml#post4132987

I have been looking at the Travelsmith reversible coat as well. If you get it let us know what you think of it!

tcl Sep 11, 2012 9:06 am

Mycra Pac Donatella Long raincoat.

I have the Mycra Pac Donatella raincoat in the longer length in the black/nickle colour. It's a very nice looking raincoat that is a bit more on the dressy side due to the pleated hood and the shimmer to the fabric. The material is water repellent only and is only really water repellent on the one side (the coloured side). It has a very forgiving wide A-line shape that spans a few dress sizes so it's better to order a size down if in doubt. There is only one double-button closure at approximately waist height and one closure close to the neck area so it doesn't stay closed very well in the wind. The pleated hood needs a bit of help with a bobby pin to stay put during a brisk walk.

This raincoat will hold up in foggy drizzly weather along with an umbrella but not in any type of actual rain or without an umbrella. As this raincoat has a very aggressive A-line cut along with raglan shoulders, it will help pear-shaped women look slimmer but might make broad shouldered women look bigger. A suit will easily fit underneath this even in your regular size. :-: There is no need to size up to fit a blazer.

It also comes in a short length which hits below the knee/top calf (depending on your height) and a new mini-length that is designed to hit just above the knee. For the new mini-length, the angle of the A-line is the same and it has a tendency to blow up during windy conditions and only really looks good on those who look good in baby-doll type dresses and outfits. :(

In retrospect, I should have bought the short length as I would have used it more, but the long length is my standby for an evening formal coat and really dresses up any dinner outfit. I don't use this coat as much as I thought I would. :td: If it's really raining buckets, I wear my long (noisy) LLBean that is actually waterproof, and if it's windy, I wear something more fitted with a belt. In short, the Mycra Pac is perfect for the Pacific Northwest or Europe in the Spring when it's got that damp depressing vaguely foggy/drizzly weather.

I bought my long raincoat from a consignment store still new with tags a few years back for about $150 after tax. My aunt has the short length and mini length I occassionally borrow but she has a different complexion and her colours don't flatter me :p I've seen a few sellers on ebay (that shop the company outlet in SF and resell on ebay) offer the short version (and sometimes the long version) ranging from $100 to about $200 new without tags.

Just wanted to add that I've been looking at the Travelsmith coat too and it seems to be single-breasted as opposed to double-breasted on the Mycra Pac

Katja Sep 11, 2012 9:54 am

Thank you for this detailed look at the Mycra Pac.

I was looking at the mini length because as a wheelchair user it can be difficult for me to get a longer coat arranged under me. I do want a coat that is actually useful in the rain (can't carry an umbrella and push a wheelchair at the same time), and I prefer my coats to fasten securely (when you're sitting, coats tend to fall open and then get tangled up in the wheels).

So it sounds like this is not the solution (for me) to the stylish lightweight raincoat problem :-(.

MissJoeyDFW Sep 11, 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by tcl (Post 19294544)
I have the Mycra Pac Donatella raincoat in the longer length in the black/nickle colour. It's a very nice looking raincoat that is a bit more on the dressy side due to the pleated hood and the shimmer to the fabric. The material is water repellent only and is only really water repellent on the one side (the coloured side). It has a very forgiving wide A-line shape that spans a few dress sizes so it's better to order a size down if in doubt.

<snip>

Just wanted to add that I've been looking at the Travelsmith coat too and it seems to be single-breasted as opposed to double-breasted on the Mycra Pac

Outstanding review, thanks even though I wasn't the one who requested it.

Consultette Sep 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Katja (Post 19294861)
Thank you for this detailed look at the Mycra Pac.

I was looking at the mini length because as a wheelchair user it can be difficult for me to get a longer coat arranged under me. I do want a coat that is actually useful in the rain (can't carry an umbrella and push a wheelchair at the same time), and I prefer my coats to fasten securely (when you're sitting, coats tend to fall open and then get tangled up in the wheels).

So it sounds like this is not the solution (for me) to the stylish lightweight raincoat problem :-(.

I wish Scottevest products had a hood! I adore my Scottevest trench and was going to reccomend it until I saw the bit about the umbrella. :-(

Katja Sep 14, 2012 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Consultette (Post 19310938)
I wish Scottevest products had a hood! I adore my Scottevest trench and was going to reccomend it until I saw the bit about the umbrella. :-(

What is the sizing like on the SEV trench? The website only gives center back lengths.

tcl Sep 14, 2012 11:25 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW (Post 19294868)
Outstanding review, thanks even though I wasn't the one who requested it.

Thanks :) $100-200 while not expensive for a good dependable raincoat, does add up if it's not the right one. I was just looking at that raincoat in my closet the other day and realized that I only wear it on certain trips and for the rest of the year it mostly just hangs there, looking pretty but taking up space :p

For something really dependable and truly weather-proof, my go-to brand is Footjoy because the material they use is matte (non shiny) and is not noisy. It is also wind resistant and 100% waterproof (seam sealed). The styling is simple and classic and does not scream "hiking" or "camping". The fit is also quite generous and is designed to fit over clothing.

I have had their rainpants for years and it's a staple in my business travel wardrobe. I just pull them on over my suit trousers in bad weather and am probably the only person walking into my 8am meetings that does not have soaked trouser legs. :cool: The pants are classically styled and very low-key (i.e. not exactly fashionable). They have a flat front, back elastic with a grippy material so your shirt doesn't become untucked. ^ Large zippers on both sides allow access to your own trouser pockets and there is also a covered velcro bottom so that it is easy to pull the rainpants on without removing shoes. I even use these in the winter in Toronto and Montreal to help cut the wind. As this is a golf brand, the fit is generous. If this is just for walking and there is little sitting involved, order one size down for a sleeker fit. If there is more sitting involved, order per the sizing chart.

They have updated their line and now offer a zippered raincoat that has dual zippers which is essential for being able to sit comfortably in. I would definitely recommend this rain jacket for use in a wheelchair. The colour combinations change quite a bit in this new line, so there is always a good chance of finding something on sale. The ladies version is a bit more fitted.

While the Footjoy raincoat isn't something stylish, it's something I can depend on that doesn't scream camping. Patagonia and Columbia used to make really well thought out gear that was also travel friendly. Just last year I had to return a knee-length coat that for some reason its full-length liner was not dual zippered although the waterproof shell was.

Katja Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for the recommendation - I will look at their products. You are so right that a 2 way zip is much better for sitting.

CDTraveler Sep 14, 2012 11:06 pm

I have LL Bean or Eddie Bauer wet weather jackets for casual wear, but for rain coats I have always like London Fog. Not sure how packable they are, but Amazon has several London Fog short coats, like http://www.amazon.com/Womens-London-...oats+for+women

Consultette Sep 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Katja (Post 19314881)
What is the sizing like on the SEV trench? The website only gives center back lengths.

I usually wear a 4 and purchased the small and it fits well. Small is probably a 4/6 if that helps.

x2y Aug 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Katja (Post 19291505)

Love Mycra Pac! Very chic. They're so dramatic, all swirly in the wind.

I got a knock-off on eBay and love it. It's basically an enormous hooded cloak (but with sleeves), reversing to a velvet embossed pattern. It makes a great evening coat for dressy occasions.

If you really want to go cheap, there is a line of men's and women's packable raincoats called "ShaynaCoat," that's very popular in the Orthodox Jewish world. They aren't nearly as stylish as Mycra Pac but they give very full coverage, fit over other coats, and are packable. $30 on Amazon and eligible for the free returns policy for clothing.

Check eBay for "reversible raincoat." They have a lot of Mycra Pac, you might be able to snag a bargain.

l etoile Oct 24, 2013 7:24 am

Seeing this a bit late, but I have several Mycra Pacs and love them. They are designed near me and have a huge tent sale twice a year in Moraga, CA (San Francisco East Bay). If anyone's interested I know you can call and be put on their mailing list.

missydarlin Oct 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile (Post 21660709)
Seeing this a bit late, but I have several Mycra Pacs and love them. They are designed near me and have a huge tent sale twice a year in Moraga, CA (San Francisco East Bay). If anyone's interested I know you can call and be put on their mailing list.

so, you're going to organize a Tent Sale Do, yes? ;)

SalishSea Oct 25, 2013 12:16 am

I own a reversible Mycra Pac which quickly became my favorite travel coat. Because I wanted it to be a bit more water repellent, I used a waterproofing spray on the darker side of the coat before my last trip. It's still not Gore-Tex, but it made a difference.

I don't know if the manufacturer would recommend this and I'd test a small patch before proceeding, but this worked for me.