Wiki Posts
Search

Women Mileage Runners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Women Mileage Runners

Hi all,

I'm doing a report for school on Mileage Running-- I was just wondering if there are any female mileage runners out there... seems like a heavily male dominated club. Would love to hear from any women that are working towards collecting serious miles!

Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
are there any difference with mr between genders¿
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by glennbmtvp
Hi all,

I'm doing a report for school on Mileage Running-- I was just wondering if there are any female mileage runners out there... seems like a heavily male dominated club. Would love to hear from any women that are working towards collecting serious miles!

Thanks!
There are lots of female mileage runners, but going based on FT user names doesn't necessarily help identify if someone is male, female or otherwise.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Right...

Understandably, not everyone may want to reveal such on this forum. Perhaps if those female mileage runners could PM me, I could talk with them directly.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by glennbmtvp
Right...

Understandably, not everyone may want to reveal such on this forum. Perhaps if those female mileage runners could PM me, I could talk with them directly.
Have you tried to contact the boardingarea.com
bloggers who have identified themselves as female on the blogs they write?

While business travel does have more men flying more than women, mileage running is more a leisure time thing than a work thing and women seem to make up a large part of the leisure travel market given how travel magazines advertise is a reflection of their audience in large part. Most of the FT MRers I have met on board flights are female. That may not be representative of FT and MRers, but it just happened to be that way for me.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I am female. I like travel but don't do mileage runs to just build up points or status.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
I am female and do several mileage runs a year, grabbing a good fare to anywhere when I can, especially for places I would like to see. If I have enough hotel points, I try to stay for a full day before returning home, with time to explore a new city, but often return the same or next day, depending on the fare. Last few runs: San Jose, Charlotte, Portland, Baltimore, Dallas, even did an overnight to Maui. Next ones by year's end: Seattle and Miami. I try to spread my MRs out during the year to equal enough qualifying miles by year's end to reach one more elite level than I would have without the MRs, and try to limit my airfare expense to 4-5 cents a mile.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I did them all of the time before I got married. Afterwards, it was no longer important to me; time together is. Maybe men milage runners see things differently.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I used to do them before I had a baby but now I just love being mommy. When she's older we will likely travel more but I doubt MRs
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: US Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premium
I did a good amout of MRs before I was pregnant and some when pregnant but now fewer as a mom. I travel for work quite a bit and sometimes just needed 5-10,000 more miles to get gold or platinum so I did MRs. I do them much less often now because as others have stated, I'd rather have that time with my family. The occasional upgrade is nice, but a weekend at home together or avoiding a child care conflict is so much better!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
For me, a MR is when you are just short of a status tier that makes like MUCH more comfortable on the road. For example, one year I needed 628 miles to maintain my 75k status, so when a sale fare came up to LAX I took it. Turns out I did not need it after all due to late Nov and Dec trips that came up, but at the time I could not count on them. So, it was worth it.

I would think that women that participate on FT and are flying for work do take note of what their current miles are and how much they need to maintain or achieve a specific level and would investigate doing a MR if they are close just as any male would.

I think that it might be true that in years past, those passengers that were upgraded into first were mostly spouses vs women FF's earning the upgrades, but now? I think the majority of women in first earned an upgrade by flying for work enough to qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.