Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

headache with hair in a ponytail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

headache with hair in a ponytail?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Analise
First off, applause all the way around for your gift to Locks of Love. What an unselfish and caring thing to do. Many can write a check; you give directly from yourself.

It sounds like you've got thick & lustrous hair. Perhaps don't pull your hair so tightly into an elastic band? Perhaps try a wider hair band that may not pull so much on your hair? What if you braided it and put the hairband at the bottom. Maybe use a big hair clip instead of an elastic hair band. Just some ideas.
I didn't post about Locks of Love for any applause or recognition, but thank you. (We need a blushing smiley.) I only posted it so I could save everyone the, "just cut it," posts.

Hair clips tend not to work well for me, for some reason. My hair tends to fall out of them very easily. I'm trying something a bit different today, in that I pulled it back at the base of my neck, so I'm hoping that helps. I probably will try braiding it one of these days, to see if that helps.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I didn't post about Locks of Love for any applause or recognition, but thank you. (We need a blushing smiley.) I only posted it so I could save everyone the, "just cut it," posts.
I know you didn't but I still wanted to applaud you.

Hair clips tend not to work well for me, for some reason. My hair tends to fall out of them very easily. I'm trying something a bit different today, in that I pulled it back at the base of my neck, so I'm hoping that helps. I probably will try braiding it one of these days, to see if that helps.
So the big hair clips are no good? Bummer. You must have thick, fabulous hair. ^
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
I know you didn't but I still wanted to applaud you.

So the big hair clips are no good? Bummer. You must have thick, fabulous hair. ^
No, big hair clips don't work well. I have the oddest hair, I think. It refuses to hold a curl, won't stay in hair clips, and does not agree with Redken hair color (adding a touch of red turned into goth, pitch black).
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:54 pm
Cay

If the lower ponytails don't work, try putting up your hair in a way that spreads the weight out over a larger area, to keep from getting a headache. A Ficcare Maximas will hold my hair in a French twist throughout a long, hectic day without ever needing adjustment. Similarly, two Ketylo hairsticks would hold an infinity bun all day and through a dance class that night, even when I had hip-length hair.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Cay
If the lower ponytails don't work, try putting up your hair in a way that spreads the weight out over a larger area, to keep from getting a headache.
Spreading out the weight of the hair in a large area is what I was thinking of too.

Long hair clips that look like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057QZSO0/...SIN=B0057QZSO0

It would spread your hair in a very wide ponytail.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Cay
If the lower ponytails don't work, try putting up your hair in a way that spreads the weight out over a larger area, to keep from getting a headache. A Ficcare Maximas will hold my hair in a French twist throughout a long, hectic day without ever needing adjustment. Similarly, two Ketylo hairsticks would hold an infinity bun all day and through a dance class that night, even when I had hip-length hair.
The Ketylo black green 3 prong is a beauty. I hate blowing $75 on it if it won't work. Is your hair thick? The first one, Ficcare Maximas looks like there isn't enough room for thick hair. I might spring for the Ketylo one of these days.

Bobette
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:57 am
Cay

My hair is thick and wavy,and now that it's somewhat shorter (a couple of inches above my waist), I use a medium Ficcare for most styles when I want a visible hair accessory, not the large ones I used when it was longer. Most Nordstrom stores have a small display of the Ficcare Maximas (they tend to stock only the basic colors). I don't know what the policies are regarding trying on a hair accessory, but it might be worth asking, if you're near a Nordstrom.

I only have the single Ketylo hairsticks, not the multi-prong hair forks. I like the flexibility of being able to use a single hairstick (for a typical chignon) or two hairsticks and of being able to place each stick exactly where I want it.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Came across this article and had to laugh.

LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists said on Friday that a "Rapunzel Number" may have helped them to crack a problem that has perplexed humanity since Leonardo da Vinci pondered it 500 years ago.

Scientists from the University of Cambridge and the University of Warwick said they had devised a "Ponytail Shape Equation", which when calculated using the Rapunzel Number and a measure of the curliness of hair can be used to predict the shape of any ponytail.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Cay
If the lower ponytails don't work, try putting up your hair in a way that spreads the weight out over a larger area, to keep from getting a headache. A Ficcare Maximas will hold my hair in a French twist throughout a long, hectic day without ever needing adjustment.
Oh, bad news, bad, bad news.

Gorgeous hair clips - just what I didn't need to know about! Since my hair began to come back after chemo (back in the day it was 38 inches from crown to the ends, and almost too thick to braid) I've been indulging in fancy hair clips and ornaments. Now you've given me a new budget buster to collect!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Oh, bad news, bad, bad news.

Gorgeous hair clips - just what I didn't need to know about! Since my hair began to come back after chemo (back in the day it was 38 inches from crown to the ends, and almost too thick to braid) I've been indulging in fancy hair clips and ornaments. Now you've given me a new budget buster to collect!
I think after chemo you deserve hair clips, if that's what you like.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:16 pm

I think after chemo you deserve hair clips, if that's what you like.
What she said.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have the oddest hair, I think. It refuses to hold a curl, won't stay in hair clips
My hair too -- had never been able to put it in a bun until I discovered the Goody Spin Pins Now I can finally do a bun that stays!!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by CdnTraveller
My hair too -- had never been able to put it in a bun until I discovered the Goody Spin Pins Now I can finally do a bun that stays!!
I should stop reading these boards, I keep finding things to buy.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CdnTraveller
I may have to try those, although they look a little complicated for me.
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I should stop reading these boards, I keep finding things to buy.
I think we all probably do find things to buy on the boards.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you ever tried EZ Combs?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...E99YBDM9VS3DVF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.