Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hand lotion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I also do the Vaseline with gloves/socks overnight trick. Has anyone tried Crisco? Last year I read that a lot of people were using it as a cheap yet effective moisturizer. (It's pure vegetable oil, as I recall.) I tried some but found it a bit greasy. It's fine for calves, etc., that are hidden under clothes & tend to get drier than normal due to the constant abrasion from socks, pant legs, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I also do the Vaseline with gloves/socks overnight trick. Has anyone tried Crisco? Last year I read that a lot of people were using it as a cheap yet effective moisturizer. (It's pure vegetable oil, as I recall.) I tried some but found it a bit greasy. It's fine for calves, etc., that are hidden under clothes & tend to get drier than normal due to the constant abrasion from socks, pant legs, etc.
I'm just not too sold on using something that is specifically a food product or used for cooking on my skin. It's probably just some sort of weird phobia that I have, but it just creeps me out a bit. I have visions of ants and other creepy-crawlies crawling all over me!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:26 pm

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by mr&mrs
Try AmLactin -- it is absolutely amazing!!!

I've struggled since childhood with painfully dry skin, and for most of my adult life with keratosis pilaris. Until recently, the only thing that made a dent in either condition was Lubriderm (thanks to lanolin), but it was barely adequate.

On medical advice, tried the AmLactin and WOW! The chronic keratosis is literally 99% gone for the first time in more than 20 years... even my horribly callused heels are vastly improved... it starts working after only one use. Seriously.

Only caveats: Active ingredient is an alpha hydroxy type acid, so you need to be very careful to protect your skin from sun exposure (increases burnability). Also, I've been told you should refrain from using it for a period of time (a week or two?) prior to being waxed as it tends to make the skin more delicate. However, use it after waxing/shaving to help prevent ingrown hairs.

Best of all, it's fragrance-free (I have an over-developed sense of smell) so it doesn't keep me awake at night, make me sneeze, interfere with perfume, etc.

If you have access to a Costco, get it there at the best price.

~mrs
My son's dermatologist recommended AmLactin XL which was once available only by prescription. Now it's available over the counter and I noticed that Amazon.com also carries it.
The lotion is thick and odorless. It made a noticeable improvement in just a matter of days to the extremely dry skin on my son's hands and elbows.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Watch out for shea butter if you have a nut allergy. The butter is made from the shea nut.

I don't especially like the l'Occitane 100% Shea Butter because it is stiff when cold. I does warm up from you body eventually, but I'm not a patient person.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Love L'Occitane products for the wonderful smell, but they are pricey. Lately I've resorted to plain old Vaseline - it's cheap and available EVERYWHERE (even any airport, past security) since I'm always forgetting lotion or what's available is frankly sub-par. I have little pots of it in multiple languages, and the lip balm versions come in little tins that (so far) have sailed smoothly through airport security fine.

To keep Vaseline from making my hands too greasy I smear loads of it on the backs of my hands and let it sit for a while before rubbing it in.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by sucheng
Love L'Occitane products for the wonderful smell, but they are pricey. Lately I've resorted to plain old Vaseline - it's cheap and available EVERYWHERE (even any airport, past security) since I'm always forgetting lotion or what's available is frankly sub-par. I have little pots of it in multiple languages, and the lip balm versions come in little tins that (so far) have sailed smoothly through airport security fine.

To keep Vaseline from making my hands too greasy I smear loads of it on the backs of my hands and let it sit for a while before rubbing it in.
I'm a lip balm addict (and buy a variety of brands), but Vaseline is one of my favorites!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:55 pm

I like L'Occitane shea butter hand cream. I haven't noticed it being stiff. I love the way it feels and smells.

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/shea-but...hand-cream.htm

I also like Aveda's hand relief a lot as well.

http://www.aveda.com/product/CATEGOR...ize/index.tmpl
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lili
Watch out for shea butter if you have a nut allergy. The butter is made from the shea nut.

I don't especially like the l'Occitane 100% Shea Butter because it is stiff when cold. I does warm up from you body eventually, but I'm not a patient person.
I didn't realize that! Thanks for teaching me something... I'd probably have wondered why I was having issues.
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I like L'Occitane shea butter hand cream. I haven't noticed it being stiff. I love the way it feels and smells.

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/shea-but...hand-cream.htm

I also like Aveda's hand relief a lot as well.

http://www.aveda.com/product/CATEGOR...ize/index.tmpl
The L'Occitane is out--sweet almond extract.

Aveda doesn't post ingredients on their website, or at least, not that I could find.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I didn't realize that! Thanks for teaching me something... I'd probably have wondered why I was having issues.

The L'Occitane is out--sweet almond extract.

Aveda doesn't post ingredients on their website, or at least, not that I could find.
I found this, that someone else had posted I search to avoid fragrance):

Ingredients--From the Packaging

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Extracts: Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Glycerol Stearate, Polyglycerol-6-Dioleate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Lactic Acid, PEG-100 Stearate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice Root Extract), Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Carapa Guaianensis (Andiroba) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Sodium Lactate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin

To gather more information, or to order online, visit

www.aveda.com
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
I found this, that someone else had posted I search to avoid fragrance):

Ingredients--From the Packaging

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Extracts: Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Glycerol Stearate, Polyglycerol-6-Dioleate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Lactic Acid, PEG-100 Stearate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice Root Extract), Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Carapa Guaianensis (Andiroba) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Sodium Lactate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin

To gather more information, or to order online, visit

www.aveda.com
Thank you! That looks like it might work too
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AC Elite, AA Advantage, BA
Hands

What works for me is to slather my hands with a very goopy, very thick hand cream and then wear surgeon's rubber (latex) gloves to sleep in. That seems to help. My hands get very dry in the winter and this works.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Some people are sensitive to petrolatum, and lotions that contain this (especially when it's high on the ingredients list) can feel like they are working at first, but minutes or hours later your hands feel drier than before. Flaky, even. I know this is what happens to mine, anyway.
I like Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Hand Creme. No petrolatum, but does contain alpha hydroxy acid.
Another thing that nearly 'burns' my skin is aloe, would you believe?! I can't use it anywhere. No soothing properties for me! It's crazy...
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lindaiah
Some people are sensitive to petrolatum, and lotions that contain this (especially when it's high on the ingredients list) can feel like they are working at first, but minutes or hours later your hands feel drier than before. Flaky, even. I know this is what happens to mine, anyway.
I like Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Hand Creme. No petrolatum, but does contain alpha hydroxy acid.
Another thing that nearly 'burns' my skin is aloe, would you believe?! I can't use it anywhere. No soothing properties for me! It's crazy...
Yup, I hear you on the aloe - it is apparently not uncommon for people to be allergic / sensitive to aloe. I found out the hard way years ago, rubbing a pure aloe plant all over my skin on holiday, I was in agony, it was dreadful!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:53 pm

Me too. It burns my skin badly, or at least feels nearly as painful as a burn.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:42 pm

Really? When I get a nasty sunburn (or any sunburn), nothing feels better on the burn than the cool feeling of aloe to alleviate the burn and help prevent peeling. But it has a burning sensation for you? Yikes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.