hand lotion

Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
hand lotion

I always suffer from dry hands/skin in winter, but this year, my hands are incredibly dry, in part because I'm washing them more than normal since I'm helping to take care of my mother while she's recovering from a kidney transplant.

My hands are drinking up any hand lotion I use, and are still pretty rough and dry. Any suggestions on a great hand lotion to use? I should explain that I'm allergic to nuts, so any lotion with almond oil or anything like that is out, unfortunately.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I know a few of the lotions at the grocery store have extra heavy versions for extremely dry skin, so you might want to buy those. Also, slather on lotion or olive oil or vaseline & put on a pair of cotton gloves or socks before you go to sleep so your hands can absorb it overnight.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I know a few of the lotions at the grocery store have extra heavy versions for extremely dry skin, so you might want to buy those. Also, slather on lotion or olive oil or vaseline & put on a pair of cotton gloves or socks before you go to sleep so your hands can absorb it overnight.

Cheers.
Olive oil? I'm currently using Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning cream, but I still feel like my hands are too dry.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:56 am

I'm not a fan of hand lotion because it's just too thin and thus doesn't really do the job IMHO. My favorite is the Body Shop's Vitamin E Body Butter. I actually keep in the refrigerator.

Things that I also like are L'Occitane's shea butter hand cream and the tins of 100% pure shea butter when I travel. Shea butter is an ingredient that will help keep your hands better moisturized. If your hands are REALLY dry, use 100% pure shea butter initially.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:22 am

Skin Free Extra Moisturizing Soap

I'm glad to hear your mother is doing well.

For me the soap matters a great deal. I use Skin Free Extra Moisturizing Soap http://www.skinfree.net/ and petroleum jelly or Vaseline Cream or Vaseline Lotion.

As suggested, when my skin gets too dry, I sleep for a few nights with Vaseline on damp skin under cotton gloves. I think having moist hands under the petroleum jelly makes a difference. It takes several nights to ease the cracking and heal.

I'm also careful about not using shampoos that dry my hands. Lately I've just been using the Skin Free soap for hair and hands and shower.

And sometimes I've had to resort to cortisone ointments.

Sylvia
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:31 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Assuming you're not allergic to shea butter, try H2O+ Hand & Nail Cream (from their spa line). Super moisturizing, soaks in quickly with no greasy residue. I swear by it and have turned many friends onto it, too.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Assuming you're not allergic to shea butter, try H2O+ Hand & Nail Cream (from their spa line). Super moisturizing, soaks in quickly with no greasy residue. I swear by it and have turned many friends onto it, too.
That looks interesting. I may order it.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:54 pm

Here in dry Colorado, I'm a big fan of garden variety drugstore Eucerin (original cream - very thick). It does not appear to contain any nut derivatives, but does have lanolin in it.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Try AmLactin -- it is absolutely amazing!!!

I've struggled since childhood with painfully dry skin, and for most of my adult life with keratosis pilaris. Until recently, the only thing that made a dent in either condition was Lubriderm (thanks to lanolin), but it was barely adequate.

On medical advice, tried the AmLactin and WOW! The chronic keratosis is literally 99% gone for the first time in more than 20 years... even my horribly callused heels are vastly improved... it starts working after only one use. Seriously.

Only caveats: Active ingredient is an alpha hydroxy type acid, so you need to be very careful to protect your skin from sun exposure (increases burnability). Also, I've been told you should refrain from using it for a period of time (a week or two?) prior to being waxed as it tends to make the skin more delicate. However, use it after waxing/shaving to help prevent ingrown hairs.

Best of all, it's fragrance-free (I have an over-developed sense of smell) so it doesn't keep me awake at night, make me sneeze, interfere with perfume, etc.

If you have access to a Costco, get it there at the best price.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:44 pm

Cream/Butter type products might work better than lotions. Try etsy or Health Food stores for nut free body butters.

You can also try using a cream that's meant for heavy face moisturize on your hands, especially if you have some leftover from a previous purchase that didn't quite work out for your face. I don't mind my hands/legs being a little shiny but my face is a different story.

You might also want to switch the soap. Most soaps use sodium laureth sulfates to foam up and those make my skin extra dry. Oil based soap might be better (nut free ones, of course).

Olive oil does work pretty well. Most shower scrubs contain a grit like sugar and vegetable oil like olive or grapeseed oil. Avocado oil is extremely moisturizing but a bit heavy. Jojoba is also popular. You can try olive oil and a pair of old socks on your hands.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
That looks interesting. I may order it.
If there isn't an H2O+ store near you, you may be able to find it at your local Ulta.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
If there isn't an H2O+ store near you, you may be able to find it at your local Ulta.
My guess is Ulta will have to do, although, if I can order it online, I may do that, just to save the trip.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:27 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
When my skin is really bad, I use petroleum jelly under a pair of cotton gloves from the drugstore/body shop at night and during the day I use Glysomed. I prefer the unscented version

If strong scents don't bother you too much and you have time for the cream to sink into your skin, I like Body Shop's Hemp Hand Cream. It has a medicated herby type of scent. The main ingredient is Hemp Seed Oil.

& if you like Lanolin based creams, Lanocreme is really effective, but it also scented.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mr&mrs
Try AmLactin -- it is absolutely amazing!!!
Dermatologists prescribe this. It is very good for extra dry skin. Another product that is excellent for dry hands and feet is called Cutemol. It's a small company and your druggist might have to order it.

Bobette
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too use vaseline jelly with cotton gloves overnight. I also use olive oil mixed with sugar as a gentle exfoliator on my hands to remove the drier bits before hand.

Day to day, I use Clarins Hand cream, I find it sinks in really well, doesn't leave me unable to touch things like some oilier ones. I have Molten Brown hand lotion by my sinks, which isn't a very good heavy duty one, but I do remember to use it often because it smells nice I'm sorry but I don't know of the nut status of either of those two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.