Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Carry-on-only FT women- what "luxury" item do you bring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on-only FT women- what "luxury" item do you bring?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:06 pm

I carry my MacBook Air, camera and iPod (until the battery started to swell!) I also bring along a small fleece blanket to use instead of the thread bare airline ones. I can't control my body temperature since my spinal cord injury so I figure it's well worth it. I always get cold on flights.

That's pretty much all of the "luxury" items for me. The rest of the bag is filled with medical type things I can't chance loosing if my checked in bag doesn't make it (or at least enough to last until I can get more if needed), and food for my guide/service dog for a couple of meals (again just in case). Also a small rolled up dog bed and Kong for Duke while he is on the plane. It helps control hair from him moving around to change position and gives him something to chew on the flight.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by icydog
Why would you buy, or take books out of libraries, when you have alternatives like the Kindle-- and now the iPad?
I have two laptops, a Blackberry and an iPhone. Half are company issue half are mine, I just haven't jumped on the Kindle or iPad bandwagon yet. I don't want to carry around the extra electronics. I have several friends who still read paperbacks like I do, for the most part we have similar taste in books. We exchange, loan and trade books back and forth. Eventually I will probably get a Kindle but I can't see myself ever not reading a paperback. When I want to read a research or history book I usually just check them out of the library as I don't want to purchase them. Everyone has their own reasons for how they do things, a Kindle or iPad isn't one size fits all.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: none...at the moment!
Originally Posted by WildKat
LOL! And how does THAT go when going through security?
If it's a woman, I get the disapproving look, if it's a male, I get a smile or even a proposition! LOL!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Ok, this may sound crazy, but I have a little tray that's about 5 inches wide by 7 inches long. As soon as I get to a hotel room, I put it on a table or on the top of the TV. My watch goes on it, rental car keys, lip gloss, room key (while I'm in the room generally) as well as any subway/underground passes etc. It's like my little piece of organization while I'm away and I always know where those things are.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by GTIgirl
If it's a woman, I get the disapproving look, if it's a male, I get a smile or even a proposition! LOL!
Inspired by this post, I've started taking one along as well :P

Never had so much as a raised eyebrow. My travel one's a Lelo though, rechargeable with no batteries for convenience, so it's probably not THAT obvious at first glance.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I have two laptops, a Blackberry and an iPhone. Half are company issue half are mine, I just haven't jumped on the Kindle or iPad bandwagon yet. I don't want to carry around the extra electronics. I have several friends who still read paperbacks like I do, for the most part we have similar taste in books. We exchange, loan and trade books back and forth. Eventually I will probably get a Kindle but I can't see myself ever not reading a paperback. When I want to read a research or history book I usually just check them out of the library as I don't want to purchase them. Everyone has their own reasons for how they do things, a Kindle or iPad isn't one size fits all.
I've actually replaced one of my 2 laptops with Ipad, and the traveling seems a bit more compact these days. Both laptops were around 6.5lbs, so this dropped some weight from my shoulders.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
Okay, about the down blanket!

I have one of these, in black: The Eddie Bauer Down Travel Throw & Pillow Set.

I can't figure out how to link directly to that item b/c of their website code but look on this page and you'll see it there:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Bedding...rows/index.cat

It's lovely... the blanket folds up into the case and the case is a perfect pillow. Or, you can take the blanket out and use it as a blanket and stuff an airline pillow into the case. It packs up very, very flat. It also has a velcro loop you can tie around your suitcase handle.

I don't carry this every time, but if I think I want to sleep and have room for it, its wonderful.
Thanks for the link- it looks interesting- and is on sale!

Do you know it's dimensions when it's in it's case? How much does it weigh? (Sellers never give enough info.)
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; United 1K; Marriott Plat Prem; Hilton Diamond
I bring along a lavender pillow sachet that goes into my pillow case. I love the scent when I go to sleep.
I also love having books with me, but several months ago switched to a Kindle. I love it more than I ever thought I would. I'm doing more reading than ever, and probably less sleeping.
I also carry a small camera and flipcam on every trip (90% of my travels are for business) because I never know when something is worth videoing or getting a photo of.

Carol
www.smartwomentravelers.com
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:36 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
A travel size of my fav fragrance is my lux item..Nothing worse than horrid smells and nothing to fite them with. A dab on the wrist can keep those offending scents away, be it on the plane or anywhere.
I consider my ipod and netbook necessities.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: QFF, HH
Hello all, I too am a "lurker" with only an occasional post - but I've had lots of good tips from your section, thanks !

Had to reply to this one

Flat iron, books (I'm a multiple book packer because I have an irrational fear of running out of reading material) and fun necklaces

If a Flat iron means a hair straightener, then I'm 100% behind this post - particularly regarding the books - regularly known to post books home to myself so I can keep buying more !

Cheers
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:10 am

If a Flat iron means a hair straightener, then I'm 100% behind this post -

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh. I am from the uk- I thought they brought with them an old fashioned cast hand iron that you heated in the fire pre electricity. Often used as door stops now. I thought it was a little bizarre (and quite heavy) but certainly a luxury item.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by jeklah

Flat iron, books (I'm a multiple book packer because I have an irrational fear of running out of reading material) and fun necklaces
If you're carting a laptop or netbook or even iPhone, there's the Kindle app from Amazon that's free! I have it on my laptop and wonder why anyone would buy a Kindle (although I did several years ago as a gift to my husband.)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by lili
If you're carting a laptop or netbook or even iPhone, there's the Kindle app from Amazon that's free! I have it on my laptop and wonder why anyone would buy a Kindle (although I did several years ago as a gift to my husband.)
I have both a Kindle and an iPad, and carry both along in my carry-on (they are my luxury items). I have the Kindle app on the iPad, but there are three reasons why I like reading on the Kindle itself better:

1) Battery life. I'm a heavy reader, but I can go for a few weeks without needing to recharge my Kindle. Not true for the iPad!

2) Eye strain. I'm okay with reading on the iPad, but my eyes do start to hurt after an hour or so. That might just be a function of my age + naturally bad eyes, though.

3) My personal library. I have documents that I will scan in advance and read on the iPad via GoodReader/Dropbox, but I also have a number of Kindle-format books that I have downloaded for free, or created for myself (I tend to make a personalized guidebook on the Kindle before leaving on a major trip). I can't read those on the iPad (though I could on a laptop).
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:56 am

Not such a good idea to have lots of jewelry unless you're in really fancy AND safe places. You're just asking to get robbed. For fancy looks, use scarves with metallic threads, nice costume jewelry, and clothing with ruffles, etc. For tailored looks: you can't beat an elegant silk scarf.... and no one is going to roll you for a silk scarf.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Beverly Ricks
Not such a good idea to have lots of jewelry unless you're in really fancy AND safe places. You're just asking to get robbed. For fancy looks, use scarves with metallic threads, nice costume jewelry, and clothing with ruffles, etc. For tailored looks: you can't beat an elegant silk scarf.... and no one is going to roll you for a silk scarf.
+1 - I fell in love with scarves and will pack several per trip. I also love jewellery but will be cautious as to which faves to pack/wear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.