Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Carry-on-only FT women- what "luxury" item do you bring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on-only FT women- what "luxury" item do you bring?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I normally check luggage, so don't need to worry about leaving a luxury item behind

It's rare for me to do carry-on, so really in that case it's more like what do I leave out (such an an extra pair of shoes or scaling down on the skincare/makeup) than what luxury item do I keep.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depends on where I'm going, how long I'll be there and what I need.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by freecia
I've seen other people bring hardback books which boggles my mind.
Haha, I'm that person with the hardback. I travel extremely light - usually with a regular size backpack for the weekend. However, I tend to check out books from the public library (inevitably hardback ), and I never get a chance to read properly unless I'm on a plane.

Otherwise, the only "luxury" item I might have is a pashmina - but honestly, they're quite utilitarian.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM
My "luxury" item is not specific to women, but it is an item for which I'll make sacrifices in other areas: my pillow. It's very compressible, made of natural latex, and is relatively heavy (though they do vary somewhat in weight). Because it's so compressible I have no trouble squishing it into very tight spaces, but the weight's potentially an issue if I'm flying carry-on only on, say, Ryanair (10 kg limit). I still manage, though, even for multi-week trips, leisure or work, and I bring all of my own toiletries and a wardrobe that doesn't look the least bit like I'm traveling carry-on only.

The next biggest luxury would be my flat iron. I've got two (one for 110, one for 220) and some trips require that I bring them both. And I do.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:30 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yamakake
The next biggest luxury would be my flat iron. I've got two (one for 110, one for 220) and some trips require that I bring them both. And I do.
Have you considered a dual voltage flat iron?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Extra shoes.

I'll wear the same outfit twice in the same week as long as I can vary it up with different shoes! I love my Fluevog collection.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I always packed my cell & laptop charger. I feel naked without them.

And lip balm.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by dandan
Haha, I'm that person with the hardback. I travel extremely light - usually with a regular size backpack for the weekend. However, I tend to check out books from the public library (inevitably hardback ), and I never get a chance to read properly unless I'm on a plane.

Otherwise, the only "luxury" item I might have is a pashmina - but honestly, they're quite utilitarian.
Me too. I always take hardback books along with me no matter how heavy. I guess you could say that is my luxury item.

Bobette
Old May 4, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by phedre
Extra shoes.

I'll wear the same outfit twice in the same week as long as I can vary it up with different shoes! I love my Fluevog collection.
Yesssss! At least in theory -- I adore Fluevogs but they're never as comfortable as I think they should be. But I still take multiple shoes for comfort (and because I love shoes).

I also take Bose headphones and a small down pillow, but usually I check a bag. For this week's carry-on trip the headphones will stay home.

That Eddie Bauer set looks sweet. On long flights in coach exit row I'm always freezing, and I've toyed with the idea of packing my down throw.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: qantas club
Originally Posted by freecia
Just curious as to what "luxury" some of the women FT'ers that travel with one bag carry on that they could do without, but bring it anyhow. Luxury in terms of the weight or space they take up in your luggage, not necessarily in price.
My netbook (10' Asus EeePC), USB modem and thumbnail drive with about 1500 books, poems, songs. About 1kg. Always something to read or listen to...
Old May 5, 2010, 1:11 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phedre
I love my Fluevog collection.
Another Fluevog fan!
Old May 6, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
I adore Fluevogs but they're never as comfortable as I think they should be.
I've had the exact opposite reaction with Fluevogs - they're the only shoes I can buy that don't hurt my feet. Everything else from payless to Jimmy Choo has given me blisters (yes, properly fitted.. no idea what the deal is), but with Fluevogs I can wear them right out of the box with no fear.

I have a rather extensive collection.. my favourites right now are my purple & orange Zazas (wearing those today!), and the Miracle Fatima sandals in yellow & grey.
Old May 7, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I carry along my own tea and tea making gear. Have to! Having my own tea, een on a cruise ship, helps me to feel right.
I am very much with you on this one. Ever since staying at the W Atlanta that had no black tea bags whatsoever, I always carry tea bags with me. I need my tea.
Old May 13, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
A good-sized magnifying mirror (in bubble wrap) when staying in hotels that don't have them. And books no matter where I'm staying, except that if it's London I only take one, as I know I'll be buying some over there.
Old May 16, 2010, 4:34 am

Hi everyone, I am new to posting, but have been a long time lurker. I can't do without a large pashmina like scarf. Just perfect for keep warm on cold planes, covering my head when I want to sleep, and covering my rear, when my pants have split.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.