Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Carry-on-only FT women- what "luxury" item do you bring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on-only FT women- what "luxury" item do you bring?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 1:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Clarisonic, as long as it's a short enough trip for the battery to last, or long enough trip to justify taking the charger.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by OudZuid
Hi everyone, I am new to posting, but have been a long time lurker. I can't do without a large pashmina like scarf. Just perfect for keep warm on cold planes, covering my head when I want to sleep, and covering my rear, when my pants have split.
Pashmina too. Even in the summer. I hate plane blankets. I also get them drycleaned after a few flights.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
I'm an electronics freak so I take my Kindle, my iPad, my iPhone, my iPod but since I got the iPad I don't need my computer so I've cut the load considerably. See how I rationalize. Its the wires that take up so much room. I can never travel with only a carryon. It wouldn't work so I check all that I can and then fly with only my electronics, meds and a magazine.

Why would you buy, or take books out of libraries, when you have alternatives like the Kindle-- and now the iPad?
Old May 20, 2010, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by icydog
I'm an electronics freak so I take my Kindle, my iPad, my iPhone, my iPod but since I got the iPad I don't need my computer so I've cut the load considerably. See how I rationalize. Its the wires that take up so much room. I can never travel with only a carryon. It wouldn't work so I check all that I can and then fly with only my electronics, meds and a magazine.

Why would you buy, or take books out of libraries, when you have alternatives like the Kindle-- and now the iPad?
Uh - see your own rationalization You check so that you can carry-on the electronics. Others check so they can carry on paperback/hard cover books. To each their own. @:-)

Speaking only for myself, I find the electronic holier than thou thing a bit boring. I own a Kindle. I still read paper books, listen to audiobooks, and also read books on my Kindle. There's room for all 3!

Re: the ipad. I have a laptop. I don't need another boat anchor OVMV.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
I just did a 10 day vacation with my iPad instead of my laptop. Worked like a charm and forced me to NOT work while on vacation but I could still get online, send emails, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Some of us sometimes travel to places where electricity is not a "given," and I don't want to be worried about charging some piece of equipment. I've enjoyed watching chargers blow out all over the world. Plus I don't want to worry about keeping track of another piece of equipment, when my neighborhood library often sells books for 25cents and my used book places also has 25c and 75c bins. So I do buy books and leave 'em after I've read them. And if I do misplace a book, I'm not so annoyed as I would be if I'd misplaced a piece of equipment. The savings in time, money, and irritation by bringing physical books, to me, makes them far more practical IN MY SITUATION than using Kindle or another device.

However, I can't fairly count a 25 cent item as a "luxury." The biggest luxury items in my carry-on is usually jewelry. No one is going to think you're a bum, even if you wear the same clothes every day, if you're strolling around in mega-bucks worth of gold or even well-crafted silver.

My Swarovski binoculars would not, of course, be considered a "luxury," as they are simply a necessity of life, or my life anyway.

Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Uh - see your own rationalization You check so that you can carry-on the electronics. Others check so they can carry on paperback/hard cover books. To each their own. @:-)

Speaking only for myself, I find the electronic holier than thou thing a bit boring. I own a Kindle. I still read paper books, listen to audiobooks, and also read books on my Kindle. There's room for all 3!

Cheers.
I just got back from a trip to Vegas. I stayed a week and never missed my Macbook because I had the iPad. The iPad has a lot more interesting apps than a computer, it weighs less, and is a nifty little travel companion. If I was traveling for business I think I would have to take my laptop but after a week using only the iPad it would take a lot of persuasion for me to go back...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Pres Circle
Bose Head phones, Straightner, favorite jeans and one pair of "the perfect" shoes
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by ImAFlyGirl
Bose Head phones, Straightner, favorite jeans and one pair of "the perfect" shoes
Hi
Can you describe your 'perfect shoes" - or better yet a link?
perfect for me would be only one pair for a trip
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
My flatiron, iPhone and my silk dreamsack.. Give me those three things, and I'm set for life!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:45 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
My flatiron, iPhone and my silk dreamsack.. Give me those three things, and I'm set for life!
Although I had to look up a Dreamsack, add dark chocolate and I could probably survive quite well with just those things too!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
I'm torn on the luxury item. I haven't traveled as much in the past couple of years as before (I am SO looking forward to getting back into travel again!), but I have a backpack that I keep filled with essentials: laptop, chewing gum, Bose headphones, ipod, chargers, dual-voltage flat iron...I suppose the things I wouldn't like being without would be my iPod and my laptop (EEE PC).

When I travel overseas, I've learned not to bring my "smart" phone, as it starts costing me a fortune if I just turn it on. Better that I use a cheap, $9.99 rechargeable phone that I purchase in my destination country and e-mail the particulars back home for emergencies.

Oh, and btw, on this note:
I, for one, don't want my entire library to eventually become obsolete and then have to re-purchase every book I love. So far, the only medium that doesn't have that "feature" is the printed medium. Plus, I adore the feel of a book in my hands.

GG
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Although I had to look up a Dreamsack, add dark chocolate and I could probably survive quite well with just those things too!
You know.... Now that you mention the dark chocolate, I think I want to add that to my list!!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, HHonors, Hertz Gold
Flat iron, books (I'm a multiple book packer because I have an irrational fear of running out of reading material) and fun necklaces.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by GTIgirl
I never leave without my vibrator...
LOL! And how does THAT go when going through security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.