Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA throwing out non-original bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA throwing out non-original bottles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:46 am

Thanks, I needed that! :-D

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
I will not light myself on fire.
cheepneezy, I laughed out loud!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
What items my friend lost were obviously very small bottles (from a travel store) but that was early days on all this muck. Since other than for the people flying out of Canada, it seems to be more as it was before 25 Dec.

I am packing now for a trip and am using containers with printed labels which are mostly from hotels. The Gilchrist & Soames 1.5 oz bottles have wide mouths and are really easy to refill with my own products.

I also have a new tiny bottle of Johnson and Johnson 'no more tears' baby shampoo that I am taking along.

I am taking a generic spray bottle of hair detangler. I'll report back on if that survives.

I'll admit that I am depressed over all the changes. I had my packing system down to an art form. Perfection! Never had to think about what I was taking because I always kept my TSA baggie packed and ready to go. I strongly dislike uncertainty.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I strongly dislike uncertainty.
I think we're all in agreement there. Unfortunately, this TSA gov't mindset of mindless reacting is creating a nightmare for travellers while doing NOTHING to stop future Panty bombing terrorists. To say that we can't reuse 3 ounce plastic containers you can pick up at a drug store tells me that these gov't 'professionals' do not have any clue regarding what it means to ensure safety.

Why not be proactive like the security EL Al has? They get it right because the security is NOT handled by a lazy and stupid gov't. It is handled by the company itself. ^
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Analise, you are being logical in an illogical situation.

We shipped ahead supplies and handouts for this meeting. Yes, we have enough airline status that we don't pay for checked bags (unless we have too many or they are too heavy) but we didn't want our stuff gone through with the risk of having items ruined or missing.

My packing theories have benefitted greatly from things I've learned on FT, but now so much is uncertain.

Reports of checked bags being opened and gone through with no note from the TSA are disturbing. The government officials keep saying that things will be kept in a state of change and that what is allowed will vary by airport and even within airports.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Analise, you are being logical in an illogical situation.
That's just it. There is no reason whatsoever that this should even be remotely illogical. Do what works. It's that simple. Follow El Al's system. Done.

We shipped ahead supplies and handouts for this meeting. Yes, we have enough airline status that we don't pay for checked bags (unless we have too many or they are too heavy) but we didn't want our stuff gone through with the risk of having items ruined or missing.
My issue isn't so much paying for checked baggage but having my baggage lost because it was checked in.

The government officials keep saying that things will be kept in a state of change and that what is allowed will vary by airport and even within airports.
And this right there is absurd. What TSA restrictions current or previous have anything to do with the Panty Bomber sitting in his seat with a bomb in his underpants? Nothing. So making a requirement that I cannot use a generic bottle to carry my shampoo (which does NOT come in a travel sized container) is merely an example of the stupid government mindset, a mindset that has nothing to do with security.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:24 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Some of my toiletries I recently purchased when in Russia.. the TSA almost threw out some since they didn't have the letter ml or g on them in English (they have the Г symbol).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

absolutely true!

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Some of my toiletries I recently purchased when in Russia.. the TSA almost threw out some since they didn't have the letter ml or g on them in English (they have the Г symbol).
I almost lost the products in an amenity kit given to me by an airline for that reason! Ridiculous!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: AS MVP
No books?! No books!?

Now, I need my hair gel as much as anybody, and I'll be pissed if my perfectly legitimate refillable travel bottles get confiscated . . . but I'd rather poke my eyes out and pour hair gel into the open wounds than get on an international flight without a book.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ruthalaska
No books?! No books!?

Actually, Transport Canada did press last week saying books were never banned. But because they weren't on the exception list, the screeners were assuming that everything not on the list was banned.

There is a new, expanded list. It mentions that Kippy bags are allowed and a small purse or (or and/or depending on how you read the document) laptop in a small case is allowed. Everything that doesn't have a case (books, mp3 players, earphones, phones, meds, kippy bags, etc. etc.) seem to have to be carried on the person (i.e. in pockets or in your hands.) Once you are through the second security check, you are allowed to put things into your laptop case or into a plastic bag from secure area stores.

The rules are so stupid I just can't believe this is happening. Each pocket has to be emptied and searched but everything has to be carried in your pockets. It would be much quicker for us and the screener, if we were allowed to put the exempted items into the laptop bag.

I fly out this week and it will be interesting. My period is due on my travel date so to top it all off, I'll have to have supplies and will be wearing a pad (but it won't be 'used' unless my flow starts before I go through security.) Not sure how that will be handled, but I'm expecting a more detailed/exposed search of my body as a result since, in theory at least, the regular pat down should detect the presence of the pad. At least they damn well better detect it or all this 'theatre' will be for naught.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada

I fly out this week and it will be interesting. My period is due on my travel date so to top it all off, I'll have to have supplies and will be wearing a pad (but it won't be 'used' unless my flow starts before I go through security.) Not sure how that will be handled, but I'm expecting a more detailed/exposed search of my body as a result since, in theory at least, the regular pat down should detect the presence of the pad. At least they damn well better detect it or all this 'theatre' will be for naught.
That does present an interesting topic. I can't imagine it will be found. I cannot imagine, even at my most cynical, that a pat down check would find a feminine hygiene item. In which case, you are correct... all this is for naught. But then I've thought so from the beginning. I can't imagine that a hand pat down of the panty bomber would have found his explosives either. What agent is going to get that familiar with a man's genitals to be able to find such a thing? Then you have the whole "back of the hand" pat down issue as well. How would anyone know that the guy didn't just have larger than normal juju beans?

In any case, back to the original subject, I can heartily recommend a Mooncup or, for those living in the US, a DivaCup. I recommend the Mooncup over the Diva but, unfortunately, Mooncup is unable to sell in or ship to the US due to another company in the US copyrighting the name after the Mooncup became so popular overseas. I had my Mooncup shipped to a friend in Canada and picked it up on a weekend trip up there. Prior to that, I used my Diva for about 4 years.

These items are great for traveling with and make being prepared so much easier.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hey, I haven't seen any (too) recent posts in here. I haven't flown since the second week of December...any updates from those who've flown recently? Are they still being difficult w/ non-original/refillable or unlabled or questionably labeled bottles? All of my bottles are below the limit...but just wanting to know if anyone's had any "interesting" experiences lately or if things have calmed down a bit.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:40 pm

I can't speak for everywhere obviously, but I flew internationally out of LAX last weekend and didn't even take my quart baggie out of my carryon when I went through security. Nothing was said. If they're not even looking at the bag, I can't imagine they can tell if the bottles are original or not.

I'm guessing that, like everything else the TSA does, it really just depends on who you get on any given day and how much of a PITA that person wants to be.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've already flown a few times in 2010. I'm finding the TSA folks to be overly polite these days.

The original packing thing seems to have gone away but I have a major issue with how they treat checked bags.

I use Magellan's stretchy straps to keep my luggage closed and when the TSA folks inspect a bag, they don't put the straps back on the bags. I lost one last week and they aren't cheap.

Haven't you heard it's all been changed seems to be their motto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.