Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA throwing out non-original bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA throwing out non-original bottles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:26 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
and we need to keep it up-to-date as much as possible.

People who are flying: what is allowed and what is being thrown out?

The news is full of rumors.

We need facts.
I think a bit of the problem is that there's going to be a lot of inconsistency since Janet Napolitano was quoted as saying they were going to be different things all over the place.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes, they do seem to be trying different things all over the place. After a serious amount of research this is all I can prove to be true at the moment.

AA is strongly suggesting 3 hour early arrival for flights.

AA is back to One Bag and one personal item, but won't define what a personal item actually is.

BA is back to One Bag ONLY to the US.

The statement put out this morning on the Today Show and on NBC news by AAA about carry on rules changes is wrong. So wrong I won't repeat it.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:01 am

and we need to keep it up-to-date as much as possible.

People who are flying: what is allowed and what is being thrown out?

The news is full of rumors.

We need facts.
Agreed, very haphazard reporting at this point. Threads popping up all over the place on FT with no easy way of understanding what is actually happening (and what's not) at airports/airlines/cities.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Just heard from a friend who lost much of her beauty kit at a check point today. She had repackaged beauty products into the generic bottles sold at travel stores with her beauty and make up products that she buys in regular size bottles.

All of her non-original containers were taken and thrown out.

She was able to keep her hotel sized shampoo and conditioner in the original bottles that had the number of ounces printed on the bottle (3 ounce or less).

This is not going to get any easier.
1, Were the genric bottles labeled as to size

2. Did she ask to see a supervisor?

If the answere to 1 is yes, then follow step 2. DO NOT let them play "I want to be a jerk today and make up new rules on you"

Sorry, but if you just let them do whatever they want then the "police state" wins! Call them on it!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Yes, they do seem to be trying different things all over the place. After a serious amount of research this is all I can prove to be true at the moment.

AA is strongly suggesting 3 hour early arrival for flights.

AA is back to One Bag and one personal item, but won't define what a personal item actually is.

BA is back to One Bag ONLY to the US.

The statement put out this morning on the Today Show and on NBC news by AAA about carry on rules changes is wrong. So wrong I won't repeat it.
Be aware that AA's 3 hour arrival before flight is for international flights TO the United States. Should not affect domestic travel or travel out of the US.

Yes, I know "should" is the operative word here and reality is the stiffer rules will likely be used for everything, including a 40 minute flight to SAN-LAX. Three hours in the commuter terminal is a lifetime sentence.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:23 pm

I took a generic 3oz bottle of spray starch though DFW with no problems last night. Bag was out of suitcase and they did not even look at contents
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
The modified TSA directive can be read here among other places.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Haven't you heard? It's all been changed! Is our new motto. DFW now has darn long and slow lines (with a snow storm coming) but no unusual TSA behavior.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
(not to mention that the ongoing lotion experiement is still ongoing... Probably close to three years with God Only Knows who many flights... NEVER gotten a second glance for the "hand lotion" in my bag. Yeah, right the TSA can "See" liquids LOL! I will write and congratulate the TSA if an agent EVER finds this... and then ask them what the literally HUNDREDS of others were doing So maybe the solution is "don't put the things in the baggie"?)
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is amazing how reactive the TSA and Napolitano's crew are. Now lotion/shampoo/conditioner in travel bottles will get tossed?? If that wannabe panty terrorist had hummed "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" before detonating his underpants, would the TSA and Napolitano initiate an immediate ban on humming onboard all aircraft??

Here's a question. Are all handbags/purses now supposed to be placed in the overhead compartments during that last hour of flight? If so, we better start travelling with pockets so we can put our wallets there as men do.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:11 pm
Suspended

That's not fair at all!!!

I just checked all the bottles which i sold from stores.All are ok
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
New Issue for anyone flying from Canada: No carry-on. Here's the government rules and exception:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/ba...-menu-5781.htm

Again, rules are 'fluid' (forgive the pun) but reports are now coming in at the Aeroplan forum here at flyertalk that the rules are being followed. You can carry on a laptop in a sleeve, but not in a laptop bag. If you have a laptop and a small purse, one of them has to be checked. The ability to carry on your chargers or power cables is in question. One person carrying a laptop had to 'check' a portfolio (about 13" x 10" fold over with a pad of paper, his travel documents and printouts with his travel arrangements) because he refused to check the laptop.

Ridiculously, according to Transport Canada, while a coat is allowed, hats and gloves are at the discretion of the screeners. At my airport, YOW, it is -20 today and we board many of the flights to the US from the tarmac since the planes are too small for jetways.

No word yet on how pocket contents are handled (I have a multipocket blazer that could carry most of my flight-comfort things, plus purse contents since I have a laptop so it will be my one carry-on item.)

No books. Small notepad and pen seem to be allowed.

With nothing large enough to carry a Kippy bag allowed, liquids are no longer an issue for us.

The regulation is expected to be in place for several days at least. I'm flying out on the 13th and hope things change by then. I deliberately booked YOW-IAD-SFO because, at the moment I booked, UA didn't have the same restrictions as Air Canada (which, at that point was 1 personal item only.) Now that it is a government rule, I may rebook with Air Canada and fly to YVR with all my stuff, then check my bag so I only do the short leg without all my comfort stuff.

The pissy part for me is that YOW-SFO is only the first leg of a 4 week trip over three continents, with limits on my checked baggage once I get to Europe (1 bag/20kg). I'm terrified that the restrictions will grow while we are away and I'll be forced to abandon things on the road in order to fit the changes. There are times I really hate my job and this is one of them.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At the monent on international flights coming in to the US purses are in the overhead bins. I am waiting right now for a woman arriving from MIA (we have snow and flights are delayed). I'll be very interested to see what she says. She had very long lines in MIA and long delays due to our weather.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Small notepad and pen seem to be allowed.
I will not light myself on fire.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
Oldpenny, did your friend mention whether her confiscated unlabeled travel bottles had any indication of volume?

My Nalgene bottles from REI and the Container Store have the volume embossed on the bottom - 2 oz or 1 oz (Nalgene does not make 3 oz) so I will be ready to point that out, if anyone objects to them.

I'd be interested to know just how crazy things are now - and if you have any new info since your last post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.