Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Network Updates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:24 pm

Looks like they're extended the modified scheduled until mid-March in this week's update. Basically the same as January, with a few minor increases in some routes during long weekend/spring break periods. (For example: YYC/YVR-LAX have a few extra flights in mid-February).

A few winter seasonal routes got wiped out completely as well like YYC-VRA/NAS.

787 schedule is virtually the same as January.
YYC-YYZ/CUN/PVR/OGG/LGW
YYZ-YYC/CUN/LGW
YVR-OGG

So far YYC-CDG still shows in March.
arf04 and V1213 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Regarding the schedule, I'm assuming the schedule for YYZ-YVR has now been finalized for the remainder of 2021? What are the odds that WS will surprise me with cancelations?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Regarding the schedule, I'm assuming the schedule for YYZ-YVR has now been finalized for the remainder of 2021? What are the odds that WS will surprise me with cancelations?
Odds are low.
With updated schedules now into the end of March 2022, the schedules for the rest of 2021 should be fairly stable.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by V1213; Nov 21, 2021 at 9:46 am Reason: Added quote
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Looks like the update actually runs through until March 31.

Things do look fairly similar to January although, after a quick browse, I've noted an unexpected change to YYZ-YYC on Sundays. The 13:00 (WS661) and 15:35 (WS665) flights have been dropped, so there's nothing departing between 09:00 (WS651) and 17:00 (WS669) on Sundays.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Further exploration shows that WestJet have begun to take advantage of the opening of more Canadian airports to international travel.
Some returning routes I've spotted are:
  • YQR-CUN (Tuesdays in both directions)
  • YQR-PVR (Thursdays in both directions)
  • YXE-CUN (Mondays in both directions)
  • YXE-PVR (Wednesdays in both directions)
While these routes will provide some welcome connectivity to Saskatchewan, it seems that WestJet doesn't really know what to do with the province in this schedule.
They've cancelled 5 weekly returns on YXE/YQR-YYZ and compensated by routing people through YYC. As a result, several YYC flights in February and March are now full in Premium and/or Economy. Particularly the YQR/YXE-YYC morning flights and return late evening flights (that make the most connections) are affected. This schedule upgrades those key YYC connection flights to 737s, but they're still full. While it's nice to have full planes, it's not good to not be able to sell tickets for travel 3 months from now.

Anyone trying to fly between Saskatchewan and somewhere beyond Dash 8 range will be pushed to Air Canada because they can't access WestJet's connection waves at YYC (connecting flights full) or YYZ (no flights at all). It feels like, while Air Canada is enjoying the flexibility of their CRJs, WestJet has the problem of its 737s being too big for YYZ, but too small for YYC.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by V1213
Further exploration shows that WestJet have begun to take advantage of the opening of more Canadian airports to international travel.
While these routes will provide some welcome connectivity to Saskatchewan, it seems that WestJet doesn't really know what to do with the province in this schedule.
They've cancelled 5 weekly returns on YXE/YQR-YYZ and compensated by routing people through YYC. As a result, several YYC flights in February and March are now full in Premium and/or Economy. Particularly the YQR/YXE-YYC morning flights and return late evening flights (that make the most connections) are affected. This schedule upgrades those key YYC connection flights to 737s, but they're still full. While it's nice to have full planes, it's not good to not be able to sell tickets for travel 3 months from now.

Anyone trying to fly between Saskatchewan and somewhere beyond Dash 8 range will be pushed to Air Canada because they can't access WestJet's connection waves at YYC (connecting flights full) or YYZ (no flights at all). It feels like, while Air Canada is enjoying the flexibility of their CRJs, WestJet has the problem of its 737s being too big for YYZ, but too small for YYC.
I have noticed this as well: YYZ (and thus other points east) out of YQR is really hard to find and book. Lots of bad connections and/or limited days. I spoke with an FA on my recent LGW-YYC flight and she said she had observed that many connecting passengers off her LGW flights had long layovers due to limitations on aircraft and crews in service. I think it will be an issue for some time yet, alas.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:25 pm

Pacific Coastal has applied to DOT to operate US flights for WestJet Link, specifically mentioned YYC/YVR-GEG as an initial routing.
https://www.regulations.gov/document...2021-0150-0001
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:41 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Calgary to Spokane has been announced a number of times over the years by several airlines, I'm not sure it has ever been operated.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Error 601
Calgary to Spokane has been announced a number of times over the years by several airlines, I'm not sure it has ever been operated.
Air Canada did operate it for quite some time. I believe it was 19 seater. It was weird in that for some reason it always departed from the domestic area instead of transloaded. Not certain why.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by V1213

Not certain I understand. The CRJ seat fewer or the same passages as the Q400.

As for cutting flights from YXE, that sounds like they don't understand the market. Those flights in peek winter will fill up. In normal (non-covid) times during the peek winter season it has always been hard to find seats from YXE-YYZ. On some days there are is nothing available. With Delta not operating into YXE, we should expect to see WS and AC doing well there.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Air Canada did operate it for quite some time. I believe it was 19 seater. It was weird in that for some reason it always departed from the domestic area instead of transloaded. Not certain why.
Which terminal at GEG had customs facilities?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:33 pm

No idea. But GEG does claim to be an international airport.

Back then I was flying regularly in and out of Saskatoon from Calgary. I would regularly see that flight boarding out the common wait room AC had on the lower level for its regional flights. Always found it weird seeing a US flight down there.

I would assume WS would arrange to have it leave from the a trans boarder gate if the gates can accommodate such an aircraft.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:49 pm

Some information about the history of Canada-GEG

https://airlinegeeks.com/2021/11/28/...al-subsidiary/
Fiordland likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 10:26 pm

Looking at some old GEG terminal maps (via archive.org) it appears that AC flights arrived at the (now apparently closed) lower level of what is now concourse B. It looks to me like there aren't any customs facilities in the terminal itself - there's apparently a facility somewhere else on the airport lands. Would be interested to hear how that worked if the flights weren't precleared...

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would assume WS would arrange to have it leave from the a trans boarder gate if the gates can accommodate such an aircraft.
YYC's gates E96/E97 are precleared ground gates which I'd assume could be used for this (although to the best of my knowledge they've never actually been in use).
Error 601 and Fiordland like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:24 pm

I think it was Big Sky Airlines that announced but never operated GEG-YYC.

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2005...ise-calgary-6/

Plans are to add a route from Bozeman to Boise, Idaho, one for Kalispell to Calgary, Spokane to Calgary, and to add a second flight from Missoula to Boise.
https://billingsgazette.com/business...667154738.html

I feel like there was another one but it would be ancient history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.