Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Network Updates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Error 601
I think it was Big Sky Airlines that announced but never operated GEG-YYC.

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2005...ise-calgary-6/

https://billingsgazette.com/business...667154738.html

I feel like there was another one but it would be ancient history.
It was also done in the 1960s by West Coast Airlines (who don't exist any more). Here is the accident report is at .....
https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=19630824-0

West Coast was taken over by Howard Hughes at some point. Not certain if the flight continued after that.

WestJet is not only following in Air Canada footsteps but a host of other airlines in brining back this route.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I remember there was a Hughes Airwest jingle for Calgary, but I only remembered service to Las Vegas.

SAN FRANCISCO (BW) - Hughes Airwest has inaugurated one-stop jet service between Los Angeles and two major cities in western Canada the first ever from Southern California. Both daily flights will be through Las Vegas. From there, Hughes Airwest will operate the flights for the first time nonstop to Edmonton and nonstop to Calgary to establish Las Vegas as the United States' newest gateway city to Canada for scheduled air service. The new nonstops will cut about one hour off the flying time between Los Angeles and each Canadian city, said Jerry Griffith, the airline’s regional marketing manager for Southern California. One flight will depart Los Angeles International Airport at 8:45 a m. for Edmonton, capital of the province of Alberta with a population of more than 530,000. Another will leave at 4:05 p.m. for Calgary, Alberta’s second largest city with a population of about 505,000. Until now the airline has had to make a mandatory stop in Spokane on all flights in and out of Canada. A second single-plane flight daily in each direction between Los Angeles and Calgary will continue to operate via Las Vegas and Spokane.
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=DS197611...-txIN--------1
Fiordland likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
As discussed in the LHR thread, WestJet has started selling YYC-LHR flights from March 2022.
Flight days and times are available in that thread.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:59 pm

If the current European schedule holds for WS, it'll be fun seeing 5 787s departing to Europe every Saturday night from YYC in S22, all within 2 hours. YYC-LGW/LHR/FCO/DUB/CDG.

With YVR/YYZ-LGW both operating daily, WS needs at least 7 Dreamliners on Saturdays in its fleet, so its also counting on Boeing to be able to resume deliveries by next summer.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
If the current European schedule holds for WS, it'll be fun seeing 5 787s departing to Europe every Saturday night from YYC in S22, all within 2 hours. YYC-LGW/LHR/FCO/DUB/CDG.

With YVR/YYZ-LGW both operating daily, WS needs at least 7 Dreamliners on Saturdays in its fleet, so its also counting on Boeing to be able to resume deliveries by next summer.
C-FLJS and C-FLWH are in storage and dependant on Boeing sorting their 787 delivery problems and any re-work that is necessary. Highly likely they will continue delivery within the next few months, in my opinion, taking the WS 787 fleet to 8 aircraft for next summer.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 1:55 pm

The modified schedule now appears to be updated to April 30th. The most noteworthily thing is it appears YYC-LGW is being temporarily suspended from March 26-April 30. (Yes, the same weekend LHR starts).

Edit: They've also moved up the evening departure to SEA to April 1st from mid-May. Overall YYC-SEA appears to be planned up to 11x weekly in April.
cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Dec 12, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Domestically, the new April schedule seems to build frequencies a bit, based on the March schedule base.

Some notable changes:
  • 789s returning to YVR-YYZ
    • WS706 to YYZ
    • WS723 to YVR
  • YYC-YYZ 789s increasing and moving around
    • WS652 (red-eye) select days
    • WS656 (09:30) most days
    • WS664 (13:30) 3 days a week (moves around)
  • YYZ-YYC 789s also changing in a similar way
    • WS651 (09:00) 3 days a week (moves around)
    • WS671 (18:25) most days
  • YYC-CDG expands to 3 times a week, after starting once a week in March
  • Still no sign of YYC-AMS
Old Dec 12, 2021, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I note that this schedule update has changed a few Christmas flights as well.
I see that some YYC-YYZ flights have been up-gauged to 789s, for instance.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:35 pm

I'm puzzled as to why Westjet continues to promise "up-to-date information" on the domestic and international schedule but has not provided an update that accounts for any flights beyond Dec.15, 2021. I get that the dynamic current situation means the schedule seems to be ever-changing, but they are indeed selling flights far into the future based on a schedule they have established so why the secrecy? One ends up having to tease out through various means when they plan to fly where.

If they don't want to maintain up-to-date info on their website, why not just take the relevant web pages down?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by V1213
Domestically, the new April schedule seems to build frequencies a bit, based on the March schedule base.

Some notable changes:
  • 789s returning to YVR-YYZ
    • WS706 to YYZ
    • WS723 to YVR
Are these flights YYZ-YVR-YYZ bookable right now on westjet.com?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Are these flights YYZ-YVR-YYZ bookable right now on westjet.com?
Yes.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Curious about a couple flights in March. Non-Stops from CUN. Both are not bookable anymore. CUN-YOW and CUN-YWG. Not availability on ExpertFlyer, and non bookable on westjet. They show up in the timetable on EF and in google flights.
Very curious as I have booked family members on both flights back. When I messaged Westjet on twitter they say its sold out and not cancelled. Looks like both inbounds are also "sold out" they were both bookable yesterday.
March 20th, 2022
WS2841
WS2437

Anyone have any input?

Last edited by bcard519; Jan 27, 2022 at 11:26 am
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bcard519
Curious about a couple flights in March. Non-Stops from CUN. Both are not bookable anymore. CUN-YOW and CUN-YEG. Not availability on ExpertFlyer, and non bookable on westjet. They show up in the timetable on EF and in google flights.
Very curious as I have booked family members on both flights back. When I messaged Westjet on twitter they say its sold out and not cancelled. Looks like both inbounds are also "sold out" they were both bookable yesterday.
March 20th, 2022
WS2841
WS2437

Anyone have any input?
Both are still scheduled/operating, and both appear to be fully sold. Flights won't show up on WestJet's website unless there are seats remaining for sale. What is it that you're curious about?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Both are still scheduled/operating, and both appear to be fully sold. Flights won't show up on WestJet's website unless there are seats remaining for sale. What is it that you're curious about?
I'm curious if they are going to cancel it. It's easier to book a backup plan now then within 2 weeks.
I called the Gold Line yesterday. The agent said this all seems weird and contacted the scheduling department. Apparently the are in negotiation with the airport and everything won't be confirmed till mid-Feb.... Thats a new one for me.
I am really hoping they don't cancel it since it was free with WJD and Travelbank, the alternative is booking a refundable fare on AC which is about $800 for the one way.

Nothing is easy it seems anymore.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arf04
I'm puzzled as to why Westjet continues to promise "up-to-date information" on the domestic and international schedule but has not provided an update that accounts for any flights beyond Dec.15, 2021. I get that the dynamic current situation means the schedule seems to be ever-changing, but they are indeed selling flights far into the future based on a schedule they have established so why the secrecy? One ends up having to tease out through various means when they plan to fly where.

If they don't want to maintain up-to-date info on their website, why not just take the relevant web pages down?
Looks like WestJet have granted your wish - the Domestic and International flight summary pages have been updated for travel to the end of April.
arf04 and aerobod like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.