Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet launches YYC-AMS from August 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet launches YYC-AMS from August 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Update, now available via WestJet's website.

They also put out a news release with a complete list of 18 destinations they're codesharing on.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...-via-amsterdam
wonderful news
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
WS has finally added its code onto KLM flights out of AMS including LHR, LCY, MAN, GLA, EDI, MAD, MXP, MUC, LIS, etc.

However, none of these flights currently come up when you search on WS.com but can found with a WS code in the GDS. For example:

WS5233 AMS-LHR
WS5249 AMS-MAN
WS5237 AMS-LIS
The full suite of codeshares appear to now be available on WestJet.com, at least ex-YYC.

The AMS launch seems to, more than any of the other European routes, be about using it as a hub. Previously-served destinations from YHZ are now available through AMS, plus the new codeshare destinations. Just like the current recovery schedules in general (much more centred around hub waves than before), the strategy appears to be one of consolidation - you can still get to all previous destinations, but you're consolidated into a single flight across the pond.
This connection-centric approach is a notable change from the leisure-oriented network design that resulted in BCN, FCO and, to some degree, CDG.

In terms of why AMS/will it scare off KL, the Netherlands and KL play strongly into the oil and gas sector, which should help. It'll be interesting to see if KL and WS "evolve" their relationship further as a result of this. AF/KL are in the very limited group of airlines that have a relationship with WS beyond a few codeshares or interline.

For the doubters, the inaugural flight is still scheduled for tomorrow night...
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:37 am
Original Poster

First flight tonight has very good load factors. J & W class are full with Y class looking at about 70-75% full (based on the seat maps at least). Haven't checked tomorrow's inbound yet.
Symmetre, cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC 35k
First flight tonight has very good load factors. J & W class are full with Y class looking at about 70-75% full (based on the seat maps at least). Haven't checked tomorrow's inbound yet.
What’s the KL cannibalism factor?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: skyteam
Fantastic. Congratulations Westjet. Departed 20:52MDT , 3 minutes early.

I wish I was in AMS this afternoon to watch it arrive.

Currently cruising at 36,981FT with 5hrs09 left inflight.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Aug 6, 2021 at 12:36 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
What’s the KL cannibalism factor?
Can't be too bad if KLM didn't reduce/cancel any flights. Still planning a daily operation from the end of this month. (5x weekly non-stop / 2x weekly with a YEG tag).
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Fiordland and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
perhaps one day when Calgary develops economically for the better they will be able to have your so called “ better options” .
Have you considered it a possibility that YYC is not a sought after world class destination?
I believe once Alberta successfully diversifies their economy and the economic picture is improved there is when we can start to see further foreign carriers investing in routes to YYC .
Your personal views of Calgary as a destination are very clear.

The fact remains that WS is generally an inferior carrier to DL, KL and AC. It is not a member of any alliance, and it has a loyalty program that makes access to J impossible. As a flier who primarily travels on points, this is a huge problem. In addition it is always easier to fly with a foreign carrier and transit in their hub then try code sharing with WS. Anyone who has tried a simple WestJet-Delta flight knows how terrible this is.

Where WestJet is adding new service, we welcome it. But copying the routes of competitors or partners may drive those carriers away, and if they do, we lose. We're stuck with WestJet. I don't want to be stuck with WestJet anymore than I already am being a YYC-based flier. I don't want to have to fly WestJet to get to AMS, I want to fly KLM and have a seamless connection with the full set of options. I don't want to sit in a noisy DH4 to SEA - I want to fly a E175 with J and connect on Delta without having to exchange boarding passes or other nonsense from a so-called "partnership".

I would love Air France to start CDG, but they aren't going to, so okay, WestJet service is a consolation. But I'm not going to celebrate potentially losing service from global carriers to WestJet. I would much rather they try something interesting like DEL, given how many people connect in YVR for this route (obviously not at the moment due to COVID, but post-COVID), or ICN with a Korean Air partnership.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Your personal views of Calgary as a destination are very clear.

The fact remains that WS is generally an inferior carrier to DL, KL and AC. It is not a member of any alliance, and it has a loyalty program that makes access to J impossible. As a flier who primarily travels on points, this is a huge problem. In addition it is always easier to fly with a foreign carrier and transit in their hub then try code sharing with WS. Anyone who has tried a simple WestJet-Delta flight knows how terrible this is.

You can redeem your WJD for seats in J to AMS.. but.. Westjet Rewards redemptions on routes like this are a complete rip off.. The 'Member Exclusive' YVR-AMS Econo fare allows you to redeem a whopping $32 (base fare) each way.. $64 total! With a total of $657.85 in taxes and fees (taxes and fees in J are almost $700 each way!) What a scam!

Ron.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:11 pm

Just curious, it looks like Amsterdam is not a destination for WestJet this summer. Have they dropped it for now?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by SonofYEG
Just curious, it looks like Amsterdam is not a destination for WestJet this summer. Have they dropped it for now?
I’ve heard rumours that they’ve not been able to obtain slots for this year. And with Rome starting and Dublin resuming this summer I don’t know if they would have had enough 787s on hand to add Amsterdam anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.