Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet launches YYC-AMS from August 5

Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:12 am
Original Poster

This morning WestJet announced YYC-AMS operating 2x weekly on Thursdays and Sundays starting August 5.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flight...ter%3A20210614

Here is the schedule:
WS20 YYC 20:55 - 13:30+1 AMS 789 47
WS21 AMS 15:30 - 16:15 YYC 789 15
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
This morning WestJet announced YYC-AMS operating 2x weekly on Thursdays and Sundays starting August 5.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flight...ter%3A20210614

Here is the schedule:
WS20 YYC 20:55 - 13:30+1 AMS 789 47
WS21 AMS 15:30 - 16:15 YYC 789 15
And just like that.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...815964002.html

Music 🎶 to my ears and eyes. I will happily connect in AMS on my way to Canada , one day once I resume my business travel.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Jun 14, 2021 at 9:21 am
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting choice, given KL is already flying the route. I wonder whether they'll be cutting back at all. I also wonder whether WS will be improving on its current pathetic slate of European destinations available via KL/AF codeshares so that this flight is useful for connections, or whether they expect to sell this mainly to pax O/D AMS.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting choice, given KL is already flying the route. I wonder whether they'll be cutting back at all. I also wonder whether WS will be improving on its current pathetic slate of European destinations available via KL/AF codeshares so that this flight is useful for connections, or whether they expect to sell this mainly to pax O/D AMS.
The presser mentions connections:

Convenient connections are available via Amsterdam to dozens of world-class destinations, including Athens, Berlin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Munich, Vienna, Veniceand more.

But as of now, some of the destinations listed there aren't available for booking through their website. Perhaps they'll get loaded later in the week?

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-0...m-from-Calgary
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The presser mentions connections:

[...]

But as of now, some of the destinations listed there aren't available for booking through their website. Perhaps they'll get loaded later in the week?
They mentioned connections years ago when they first launched the partnership with AF/KL, and have delivered very little thus far, so I'll believe it when I see it
gcashin likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: AC 35k
Not a fan here. We don't need WS to chase out the sole remaining foreign carrier and turn it even more into a fortress hub.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:02 am

They mentioned connections years ago when they first launched the partnership with AF/KL, and have delivered very little thus far, so I'll believe it when I see it
Really , because the connections out of Paris have been and continue to be active?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Not a fan here. We don't need WS to chase out the sole remaining foreign carrier and turn it even more into a fortress hub.
Its good for a Canadian company to have the business rather than foreign companies eating away at intl market share from Canadian air carriers
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:20 am

Fair point.

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Really , because the connections out of Paris have been and continue to be active?
As I have pointed out to you several times in the LHR thread, WS only sells connections to a tiny fraction of the AF network out of CDG, and many major European destinations do not exist as far as the WS website is concerned.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:26 am

Fair point.

As I have pointed out to you several times in the LHR thread, WS only sells connections to a tiny fraction of the AF network out of CDG, and many major European destinations do not exist as far as the WS website is concerned.

And I will also add that not everything that is on their network is necessarily what WS wants to pursue for connections. Just because something is there does not automatically translate to profitable codeshare.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I wonder what the loads will be like.

August 5th, you still might not be permitted to travel to all destinations in Canada without a 2 week quarantine. I don't think there will be much of a demand for travel to Europe but maybe the execs know much more about the pandemic then I do.

I guess this is a promising note that things are going to get back to normal sooner than I am expecting.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:39 am

And I will also add that not everything that is on their network is necessarily what WS wants to pursue for connections. Just because something is there does not automatically translate to profitable codeshare.
WestJet is free to run its business however it wants. But as a customer, my interest in flights like YYC-AMS is substantially less if I am offered few to no connecting options than if I am offered many connections. For example, if WS doesn't want to sell me YYC-AMS-GVA, I'm not going to buy separate tickets WS YYC-AMS and KL/LX AMS-GVA, I'm going to buy YYC-LHR/FRA-GVA from AC or YYC-AMS-GVA on KL (although given the terrible departure time of the KL flight, I never end up taking it).
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

True haha. I've noticed you've always been able to book connections with WS through third party agencies, but not through their own website. Hopefully they are working to correct that....

I don't see this effecting the KLM service for now. I think for a bit TS use to serve YYC-AMS as well in the summer months.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:05 pm

True haha. I've noticed you've always been able to book connections with WS through third party agencies, but not through their own website. Hopefully they are working to correct that....

I don't see this effecting the KLM service for now. I think for a bit TS use to serve YYC-AMS as well in the summer months.
I have always been able to book connecting flights through westjet.com.

Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I have always been able to book connecting flights through westjet.com.

I guess should have clarified. You can book connections with WS to any of its codeshare partners through third party agencies but only a limited amount directly through WestJet's website. Example I can book YEG-YYC-AMS-DEL at a travel agent or through KLM's website but not directly through WS themselves. I know they recently added a whack of AF connections when they launched CDG.

You can book no flights to Asia directly through WS website even though they have codeshares with several airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.