Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet adding Calgary-Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:58 am
Original Poster

WestJet adding Calgary-Seattle

This week, WS loaded new flights from YYC to SEA starting November 4th on Encore DH4 equipment. Starts 4x weekly, before increasing to 6x weekly in late December and then daily from late March.

Scheduled as follows:
WS3612 YYC 10:30 - 11:14 SEA 1457 (From Dec 20: X6)
WS3613 SEA 12:00 - 14:36 YYC 1457 (From Dec 20: X6)

Flights are now open for booking.

I suspect this may get formally announced at some point this week. Interestingly a few weeks ago, Delta removed this route until late-March 2022.

Update:
https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-0...eattle-service

Going 2x daily in May 2022.
WS3612 YYC 10:30 - 11:14 SEA DH4
WS3613 SEA 12:00 - 14:36 YYC DH4
cirrusdragoon and Symmetre like this.

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Aug 4, 2021 at 9:07 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Interestingly a few weeks ago, Delta removed this route until late-March 20224
Less interesting and more Delta isn't going to fly this route anymore and has ceded to WestJet.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: skyteam
This week, WS loaded new flights from YYC to SEA starting November 4th on Encore DH4 equipment. Starts 4x weekly, before increasing to 6x weekly in late December and then daily from late March.

Scheduled as follows:

Flights are now open for booking.

I suspect this may get formally announced at some point this week. Interestingly a few weeks ago, Delta removed this route until late-March 2022.

Update:
https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-0...eattle-service

Going 2x daily in May 2022.
WS3612 YYC 10:30 - 11:14 SEA DH4
WS3613 SEA 12:00 - 14:36 YYC DH4
Great news! It appears by May 19 , both WS and DL each have two flights operating on their own aircraft.

Separately , in addition to WS’s own two flights , , Westjet is codesharing as Flights 7890 and 7892 on Deltas own FL4501 07:30 Dep and FL4517 13:40 Dep.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Aug 4, 2021 at 10:33 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Great news!
Definitely not. Way too long for a DH4, and if WS is effectively replacing DL and the E75/CR9 service we've had in the past, it's a substantial downgrade.
FlyerJ and YXUFlyboy like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Now with the facts, It is 1:44 minutes on the DH8-400 and the Embraer 175 is scheduled for 2:09. Not so bad after all. Porter Airlines longest flight they operated was 3 hours and 25 minutes to Melbourne. Their YTZ - MDW flight is 1:47. I disagree , it is not too long of a flight for a DH8-400.
All true and all awful. Who in their right mind would subject themselves to 3 hours and 25 minutes in a Q400? Any route that offers a choice between turboprop and jet will probably result in a win for the jet carrier....all other things being equal.

My upper limit on turboprop is 2 hours. Longer than that and I'm looking for alternatives.
cirrusdragoon and FlyerJ like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Now with the facts, It is 1:44 minutes on the DH8-400 and the Embraer 175 is scheduled for 2:09. Not so bad after all. Porter Airlines longest flight they operated was 3 hours and 25 minutes to Melbourne. Their YTZ - MDW flight is 1:47. I disagree , it is not too long of a flight for a DH8-400.

You misunderstood the point. There is no doubt the DH4 is technically capable of flying the route (you could have cited the fact that AS has served the same route with the same equipment in the past), and WS wouldn't have scheduled it if that weren't the case. But that's far longer than I want to sit on a noisy propeller plane with crappy seats and mediocre overhead bins, unless I absolutely have to. For certain remote destinations, it's unavoidable, but YYC-SEA is a city pair where there should be better options.

As an aside, you should also be careful in comparing DL's block times to WS's as evidence of anything, since DL significantly over-blocks its flights to improve OTP, but the elapsed time on the plane will definitely be lower on the E75 than the DH4.

Worth noting they are not replacing. By May , both carriers will each have two daily flights operating to SEA. An addition.
See my comments from the AMS thread on the dynamics of WS launching routes served by partners and potentially displacing service by those partners.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I've done YYC-SEA on both DL and AS ... on large-ish regional jets. It's a nice experience. Both offer a proper J seat which, if you're able to get an upgrade - even on a shortish flight - is really nice. On Delta's ERJs, they also offer Delta Comfort+ in addition to J: 2x2 seating, but with really generous leg room and extra snacks. None of that is available on the more utilitarian Q400. Everything else being equal, I'd take the jet option.

The Q4 isn't a great experience for me, and I don't like it for much more than a quick YEG-YYC hop. As a tall guy with wide shoulders, I can attest that neither the legroom nor the seat width are very good, and the lavatory is laughable. The whole on-board experience is frankly pretty meh. "Plus" on WestJet's Q4 is just regular seats, so upgrades are meaningless. And the novelty of boarding a turboprop via a ground-level ramp is long gone. (Think YYC at -20 degrees. SEA in the rain. Ugh.)

It will be interesting to see how US flyers react to these. Many of my American co-workers are shocked when any flight is not operated by a jet -- unless it's an ultra-short hop or service to a very small destination. I think us Canadians are used to turboprops because they're so prolific up here, but Americans expect any route flown on a smaller aircraft will be a regional jet. It's the norm there. (The only exception might be in cities where Horizon operates turboprops for AS, but prop planes are otherwise pretty rare in most markets in the US.)

I rarely fly on these, though, given that my flying now is almost all cross-border. Remind me: Is there running water in the lavs on WestJet's Q400 to wash your hands? Is there real coffee served on these planes, or is this one of those "here's warm water with a pack of Sanka" kind of inflight services?
Adam Smith and gcashin like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Scheduled as follows:
Unsurprisingly, this is very similar timing to WS3628 to PDX (10:15-11:29), and WS3627 from PDX (12:15-15:15).

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
All true and all awful. Who in their right mind would subject themselves to 3 hours and 25 minutes in a Q400? Any route that offers a choice between turboprop and jet will probably result in a win for the jet carrier....all other things being equal.

My upper limit on turboprop is 2 hours. Longer than that and I'm looking for alternatives.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Definitely not. Way too long for a DH4, and if WS is effectively replacing DL and the E75/CR9 service we've had in the past, it's a substantial downgrade.
Unfortunately, DH4 flying is the WestJet way when you live anywhere in the west that isn't YYC, YEG or YVR - you start with a DH4 from your local port to YYC and then connect from there.

That's fine if you're connecting to a larger destination but, if you're heading to somewhere else in the west, you're likely also stuck in a DH4 for your second leg (PDX & SEA included). If there were something resembling an actual Premium cabin and level of service on the DH4, it would be possible to make these west-to-west trips tolerable, but getting a free drink as the only differentiator doesn't cut it.

Thankfully, most DH4 flights are <90 mins, but I note that YBR-YYC clocks in at 2:15.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I rarely fly on these, though, given that my flying now is almost all cross-border. Remind me: Is there running water in the lavs on WestJet's Q400 to wash your hands? Is there real coffee served on these planes, or is this one of those "here's warm water with a pack of Sanka" kind of inflight services?
There is no running water for hand washing - many don't even have sinks at all. I'm perpetually amused that a Canadian plane supposedly can't handle Canadian winters without water freezing in the plumbing.

The service includes "hot" water that can be used by customers to brew complimentary tea or instant coffee.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:22 pm

See my comments from the AMS thread on the dynamics of WS launching routes served by partners and potentially displacing service by those partners.
We live in a competitive world , de-regulated air travel. May the strongest survive and thrive. This isn’t 1950. Congratulations to Westjet! Keep on growing.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Aug 5, 2021 at 2:09 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by V1213
There is no running water for hand washing - many don't even have sinks at all. I'm perpetually amused that a Canadian plane supposedly can't handle Canadian winters without water freezing in the plumbing.

The service includes "hot" water that can be used by customers to brew complimentary tea or instant coffee.
Ewww. Especially for the water + powdered instant coffee beverage. (Why even bother?)

Is the situation for running water / brewed coffee the same on Air Canada Express Q400s?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Ewww. Especially for the water + powdered instant coffee beverage. (Why even bother?)

Is the situation for running water / brewed coffee the same on Air Canada Express Q400s?
Perhaps this question can be moved to the Air Canada forum.

Also since this thread is to discuss the launch of WS new SEA route, can we not just stay on topic ?

You misunderstood the point. There is no doubt the DH4 is technically capable of flying the route (you could have cited the fact that AS has served the same route with the same equipment in the past), and WS wouldn't have scheduled it if that weren't the case. But that's far longer than I want to sit on a noisy propeller plane with crappy seats and mediocre overhead bins, unless I absolutely have to. For certain remote destinations, it's unavoidable, but YYC-SEA is a city pair where there should be better options.
Just because you want better options for this route does not mean that it is currently economically possible . Everything takes time to build, perhaps one day when Calgary develops economically for the better they will be able to have your so called “ better options” . In the mean time , many people , with the exception of competitors , are content with this new growth of SEA in WS’s network. And it looks as though this is my stop, I am exiting the debate bus here . Once again, I am going to agree to disagree with you Mr Smith. And , I am going to once again congratulate WS on their growth . Can hardly wait to one day try this route if I ever get to YYC someday.

Getting back to the original thread topic , I am intrigued and anxious to know what onward connectivity options at SEA are WS contemplating with DL. I guess we just have to wait and see. I wonder if Sacramento will make it onto their list?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 5, 2021 at 9:30 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Getting back to the original thread topic , I am intrigued and anxious to know what onward connectivity options at SEA are WS contemplating with DL. I guess we just have to wait and see. I wonder if Sacramento will make it onto their list?
Give SEA is a Delta hub I would expect a fairly good list of onward destinations, places like Orange County, Sacramento, San Diego, etc. In addition to one or two in Asia.

I suspect WS would prefer people heading to San Francisco or LAX would do so on WS metal, however some will also end up on this flight.
cirrusdragoon and tcook052 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:31 am

Perhaps this question can be moved to the Air Canada forum.

Also since this thread is to discuss the launch of WS new SEA route, can we not just stay on topic ?
Discussing how the WS product on YYC-SEA compares to the AS, DL and AC competition on the exact same route?

And how that might impact WestJet’s success on this route?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
Good move for WS as DL's Canadian market is hugely shrinking. For the Q400, WS (Encore) has no other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.