Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic vs Econo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
I think the bug of viewing your changed flights before automated emails were sent was a issue before COVID. It was less noticeable before COVID because WS would do schedule changes more randomly/less predictable than the night of the second Saturday of each month. Therefore, it was less likely for people to catch the change before emails got sent. For some reason when you view the change before emails are sent out, you don't get emails. Almost as if the system is too smart in not having to annoy passengers with another email when they were already aware of their schedule change.

I actually just received the email about the changes. Has an 'Accept' button to click, another for a 'Refund' (to travel bank)...

Ron.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Vaclav
And yes, sure, how predictable. Just found (not that WS would email me) that my YVR-YUL red eye nonstop on July 11 was cancelled. And again, I am re-routed via YYZ. A year later and the same 'strategy' is nothing but bait and switch. I am glad I have cancelled two more similar flights later, it would be the same result. We need competition, why is Westjet sending us to the arms of Air Canada? On that day, AC operates three YVR-YUL nonstops, a day later four.

Another thing, since my booking was changed, it is locked and I cannot even see/change seats online. I have cancelled and rebooked many AC flights and AC also had several schedule changes. I was promptly notified by email/app and in most case was given a choice to select a different flight and seat if I wanted to. I am saying this rather reluctantly but AC is by far clear winner.
They still seem to be keeping the one non stop daytime flight - which is good news for me. I'm guessing they just don't have enough takers on the redeye. I agree that it still reeks of bait and switch...

For a Western based airline, it truly does boggle the mind that they don't have more direct flights from YVR... but maybe that's part of the problem. YYC is the home base for the west for WestJet - and YVR is more of the home base for for the west for AC.
Vaclav likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Importantly for many people, Basic fares do not allow changes or refunds at all. If your plans change, you just have to forfeit your ticket.
Not quite true as for now even Basic allows a one time change or cancel for no fee so not too eager to cough up an extra $75 on a RT to book Econo over Basic when there's little difference beyond no WSD & less flexible seat options.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The lack of choice of seats at check in is annoying. Recently when I checked in the system assigned 19B - no way to change but to pay $34. At the airport I asked an agent and she changed me to 16F - apparently they can do that if there are seats in the area of the plane selected for basic fares. When I checked in there were many aisle and window seats open. This is a good reason to pick AC where you can choose your seat at check in.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The lack of choice of seats at check in is annoying. Recently when I checked in the system assigned 19B - no way to change but to pay $34. At the airport I asked an agent and she changed me to 16F - apparently they can do that if there are seats in the area of the plane selected for basic fares. When I checked in there were many aisle and window seats open. This is a good reason to pick AC where you can choose your seat at check in.
Funny - We were required to explain to our Guest Service Manager when the station got audited why we moved a basic economy ticket holder to any other seat without paying. Plane could have 50 open seats and if I moved someone from 19B to 19A without charging in the system it was a no-no. In the end I just took a sharpie and wrote down an open seat and told the guest to sit there.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:42 am

traveling on WJ next month with in cabin pet on basic economy....told I would have a window seat
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by metoo
traveling on WJ next month with in cabin pet on basic economy....told I would have a window seat
Not necessarily. Depending on aircraft type, could be middle or window (737), but the window fits most kennels better because middles have the westjet connect box restricting space, and the aisle seats don’t have enough space anyways to accommodate the kennels. I can’t speak to the other aircraft types though. Regardless, the kennel needs to be softsided and small.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:34 am

While amounts will vary by flight, route, availability, etc. couldn't help notice a one-way Basic YEG-YYJ next May as low as $81 with tax however the Econo fare more than twice as much at $201 which is quite a gap and if I were able to confirm this far out would roll the dice on Basic and hope for the best.

I don't mind paying $30-50 more for Econo but $120 spread for such a short flight too much for me.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:11 am

Patience was rewarded as I put together two non-stop WS Basic one-ways YEG-YYJ-YEG for grand total of $120 RT all-in while an Econo RT was running around triple that price.

Given the chances of needing to make changes are low, I'll take my chances with Basic versus paying 3-times the price as insurance in case I need to (and paying change fees to do so of course). As this is a leisure trip, should something come up that makes the it no longer possible I'm only out a small amount and would book a new escape at a later date.

BTW at $60 one-way all-in WS Basic which includes a carry-on was $25 less than Flair with a carry-on while AC with 1 connection each direction was $280 for its Basic fare RT and roughly $350 RT all-in for its Standard fare.
Frequentlander likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 13, 2023 at 7:43 am
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC35K, WS Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold
I fly YEG-YVR usually once or twice a month and have no issue booking Basic for such a short flight. I literally just need a seat and prefer WS Basic over Flair, Lynx or Swoop.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:29 pm

What a difference between WS & DL as with the former I can buy the cheapest fare type Basic (as I have) and pony up for emergency exit seat assignment at a decent price which affords me not only endless legroom but priority boarding while with the latter I can buy emergency exit seats and it gets me absolutely nothing in terms of earlier boarding zone so only extra legroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.