Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic vs Econo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by tcook052
So how convenient was WS stranding you in YYZ last year? Sorry but it seems an odd claim given the troubles you encountered when it wasn't happening with AC.

BTW out of curiosity what was the price difference between AC who didn't have the red-eye on at a rock-bottom price & WS?
Due to new entrant to the market (Flair), both AC and Westjet were offering never seen before low fares in basic economy. For my July/August returns, WS was as low as $97 for a nonstop red eye. AC had similar price but for a morning departure. That is less convenient due to flight duration and change of time zone - the whole day is gone travelling.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 1, 2021 at 9:02 am Reason: To remove text which was not part of the quoted member's post.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav
There is yet another consideration: Schedule/price. I have bought Westjet basic economy from YVR to YUL (in July and August) because AC did NOT have the red eye flight at the rock-bottom price. I do not care any longer about status/miles accumulation. I book based on convenience - price and schedule. With the current loads, even middle seat in the back should not be a problem.

What I am afraid of is that Westjet may cancel the YVR-YUL nonstop like they did last summer - several times. I was stuck at YYZ for 6 hours every time it happened. AC does not do that and the airline (Flair) offers nonstops as well. So far the reviews are not great.

In normal times, Westjet was my choice (on many occasions) to fly to BGI. I hope this will come back later this year.
I'm booked WS YVR-YUL midweek in August. They had two non stop flights to choose from - a morning flight and a redeye. They also had a few connecting in YYC. I chose the direct morning flight (which was the most expensive- about $150 more).

What's the likelihood of them canceling my flight? I'd be extremely ticked if I got put on a connecting flight after paying more for a non stop. How does that work when you've paid extra for the non stop, and extra for good seat assignments that are no longer available?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I'm booked WS YVR-YUL midweek in August. They had two non stop flights to choose from - a morning flight and a redeye. They also had a few connecting in YYC. I chose the direct morning flight (which was the most expensive- about $150 more).

What's the likelihood of them canceling my flight? I'd be extremely ticked if I got put on a connecting flight after paying more for a non stop. How does that work when you've paid extra for the non stop, and extra for good seat assignments that are no longer available?
Last summer, I was 'stuck' with the cancellation of WS YVR-YUL nonstop at least twice, and got less convenient schedule on YUL-YVR. One connection left me in YYZ for 6 hours with only one overpriced breakfast outlet open. I understood the 'corona' reason for cancellations. If they do it again this year, not very good since other airlines advertise nonstops.

For this July and August, I had 3 rock-bottom priced basic economy flights YVR-YUL then cancelled them all and booked on in Premium on special. The other two went to AC using Aeroplan points.

I enjoyed WS but those cancellations happen or happened too often.
tcook052 and pokee like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:06 pm

For this July and August, I had 3 rock-bottom priced basic economy flights YVR-YUL then cancelled them all and booked on in Premium on special. The other two went to AC using Aeroplan points.

I enjoyed WS but those cancellations happen or happened too often.
I hope they don't cancel again this year. Do you recall how much notice you had?

Curious what your Premium fare was? Best I could do was around $500 each way... with a companion voucher and taxes it was around $700 each RT. We opted for Econo at $400 RT each and exit row seats.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I hope they don't cancel again this year. Do you recall how much notice you had?

Curious what your Premium fare was? Best I could do was around $500 each way... with a companion voucher and taxes it was around $700 each RT. We opted for Econo at $400 RT each and exit row seats.
I booked YVR-YYT for last week of July in Premium for $962 return... which I think is decent. via YYZ going, YEG coming back. I'm expecting there will be some flight changes.

Ron.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:14 pm

If your flight is before August 4, then you should be able to find out this weekend. If your flight is after Aug 4, then the Aug 5 to Sept 4 schedule update should be processed around the second Saturday of July.

Most likely WS will probably cancel at least one daily frequency, but with Flair also flying this route, they might retain one daily or at least a few weekly to compete with Flair.
pokee likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:14 am

For the notice, please see the post further down, it explains the timing. I had the same.

My YVR-YUL premium was $492 all in, on 'special' with 20% code. Both WS and AC advertised the same. The price is ok. However it is a night flight and I do not expect any gourmet dining. The most significant benefit is the larger seat on 737-800, free checked luggage (I have that already due to cc), WS dollars accrual (not important for me).
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
If your flight is before August 4, then you should be able to find out this weekend. If your flight is after Aug 4, then the Aug 5 to Sept 4 schedule update should be processed around the second Saturday of July.

Most likely WS will probably cancel at least one daily frequency, but with Flair also flying this route, they might retain one daily or at least a few weekly to compete with Flair.
They should not cancel YUL/YVR/YUL summer nonstop - especially when AC will be offering more than 3 daily, there is also Flair and Air Transat - all advertising nonstops.

The cancellation of those nonstops a year ago was more understandable. This year, wit Canada reopening and government financial aid, it is another story. In other words - not acceptable, looking more like bait and switch.
pokee likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:35 am

They should not cancel YUL/YVR/YUL summer nonstop - especially when AC will be offering more than 3 daily, there is also Flair and Air Transat - all advertising nonstops.

The cancellation of those nonstops a year ago was more understandable. This year, wit Canada reopening and government financial aid, it is another story. In other words - not acceptable, looking more like bait and switch.
And yes, sure, how predictable. Just found (not that WS would email me) that my YVR-YUL red eye nonstop on July 11 was cancelled. And again, I am re-routed via YYZ. A year later and the same 'strategy' is nothing but bait and switch. I am glad I have cancelled two more similar flights later, it would be the same result. We need competition, why is Westjet sending us to the arms of Air Canada? On that day, AC operates three YVR-YUL nonstops, a day later four.

Another thing, since my booking was changed, it is locked and I cannot even see/change seats online. I have cancelled and rebooked many AC flights and AC also had several schedule changes. I was promptly notified by email/app and in most case was given a choice to select a different flight and seat if I wanted to. I am saying this rather reluctantly but AC is by far clear winner.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
And yes, sure, how predictable. Just found (not that WS would email me) that my YVR-YUL red eye nonstop on July 11 was cancelled. And again, I am re-routed via YYZ. A year later and the same 'strategy' is nothing but bait and switch. I am glad I have cancelled two more similar flights later, it would be the same result. We need competition, why is Westjet sending us to the arms of Air Canada? On that day, AC operates three YVR-YUL nonstops, a day later four.

Another thing, since my booking was changed, it is locked and I cannot even see/change seats online. I have cancelled and rebooked many AC flights and AC also had several schedule changes. I was promptly notified by email/app and in most case was given a choice to select a different flight and seat if I wanted to. I am saying this rather reluctantly but AC is by far clear winner.
My flights YVR-YYT were both cancelled.. The flights were re-booked and like you I did not get an email, have no idea what my seats are (booked Premium) and cannot see/change them online. I don't care much about the return, but now the outgoing puts me there after all the car rental places close.. which leaves me with a return taxi from the airport and getting a car the next day. Thanks Westjet! If I didn't have so many WJD to burn, I'd be on AC in a flash.

Ron.
Vaclav likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:47 am

Found some info on my new flights - if you choose 'Email Itinerary' under Manage Trips on the site, it will email you your current Itinerary with assigned seats listed (I think!). Still no email from Westjet about the changes.

Ron.
Vaclav likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
Found some info on my new flights - if you choose 'Email Itinerary' under Manage Trips on the site, it will email you your current Itinerary with assigned seats listed (I think!). Still no email from Westjet about the changes.

Ron.
I think the bug of viewing your changed flights before automated emails were sent was a issue before COVID. It was less noticeable before COVID because WS would do schedule changes more randomly/less predictable than the night of the second Saturday of each month. Therefore, it was less likely for people to catch the change before emails got sent. For some reason when you view the change before emails are sent out, you don't get emails. Almost as if the system is too smart in not having to annoy passengers with another email when they were already aware of their schedule change.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:59 pm

I've always picked the most basic fares on AC and Westjet and its never presented a problem. I've always been able to check in 24hrs before flights and pick my seat from what is available which is usually fine unless I left check-in until the last moment. Has this changed for Westjet basic fair or can I still pick my seat from the leftovers when I check in?

I recently got the RBC Westjet Elite MC for the companion voucher and I've been looking into their rewards program. I love rewards programs and good programs reward spending and loyalty. With Westjets program though it doesn't seem to make sense to pay the extra fares unless you are in platinum tier. Why are people paying $20-30 extra for $1-3 Westjet dollars rewards? Seems like a pretty crappy loyalty program for the general population unless I'm missing something, glad the perks with the Mastercard make sense!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:43 pm

So for the record I just booked Westjet basic fares to Hawaii for a family of 3.. I booked Westjet because I value my experience with them vs AC who I have sworn I would never fly with again multiple times! In this case Westjet had the most direct flights to Hawaii and prices were better or same around board so no brainer. I do love Westjet overall vs all North American airlines from my personal experiences flying for the last 30 years but I'm trying to figure out why I should pay more for their Westjet program dollars.

So again, why do people pay the extra $20-30 for econo fare vs basic when you book your Westjet ticket? Mathematically it doesn't make sense. This isn't a comparison to other programs just trying to figure out Westjets lack of a loyalty program.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 14, 2021 at 11:07 pm Reason: Edited quote of since-deleted post.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@Case3, with this being your first post, welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Case3
I've always picked the most basic fares on AC and Westjet and its never presented a problem. I've always been able to check in 24hrs before flights and pick my seat from what is available which is usually fine unless I left check-in until the last moment. Has this changed for Westjet basic fair or can I still pick my seat from the leftovers when I check in?
Reports above (see this post) suggest that is not currently the case - you could be stuck with what you get auto-assigned at check-in.

I recently got the RBC Westjet Elite MC for the companion voucher and I've been looking into their rewards program. I love rewards programs and good programs reward spending and loyalty. With Westjets program though it doesn't seem to make sense to pay the extra fares unless you are in platinum tier. Why are people paying $20-30 extra for $1-3 Westjet dollars rewards? Seems like a pretty crappy loyalty program for the general population unless I'm missing something, glad the perks with the Mastercard make sense!
Earning WSD is not the only reason to purchase Econo (over and above the previous point about seat selection):
  • Those who wish to purchase a seat in advance will pay a lower fee from Econo than Basic, which may make up some or all of the difference in fare
  • From a loyalty perspective, beyond earning WSD, basic fares do not qualify towards spend thresholds for earning status or companion vouchers, and a number of benefits available to Golds and Platinums on higher fares are not applicable
  • Importantly for many people, Basic fares do not allow changes or refunds at all. If your plans change, you just have to forfeit your ticket. If you buy Econo, the fees can be sizeable, but at least you can make a change or get a Travel Bank credit
  • For anyone looking to book via the call centre (e.g. my wife's 91 year old grandfather who has no computer or smart phone), there is a $15.75 per guest booking fee on Basic fares

WS does a decent job of detailing the differences between the fare types on the fare page and the fee page on their website.
pokee and cirrusdragoon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.