Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet Link approved for cross-border flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Link approved for cross-border flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I've done the YYJ-SEA flights on DL many times and they've always been full planes.
If they were full, fed in to DL's own network, and still didn't make sense for DL to run, then running a 34 seat aircraft solely to feed another airline's hub from a spoke on your network with a lot of competition is very unlikely to work out.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
If WS and Delta have a joint venture arrangement does that not change the economics? I would have thought as a joint venture setup it become irrelevant which of the two airlines operates a specific flight.
No, not really. The operator of the short, feeder flight will always be at a major $ disadvantage given how revenue is calculated. The profit in running short feeders is in “owning” the connection and in getting the onward flight ... even when there’s a JV.

And WestJet will still want to see YYJ-PHX, for example, connecting with WS over YVR rather than with DL over SEA — even though that Seattle connection is with their JV partner.

I've done the YYJ-SEA flights on DL many times, and they've always been full planes.
The fact that DL had those full flights feeding their own Delta hub in Seattle ... and still felt that it made financial sense to pull the route ... is very telling. If DL couldn’t justify it, there’s no chance of WS being able to justify it — when they’d just be handing their traffic over to Delta at SEA.

The economics of small feeder services like Link (and even Encore, to some extent) is to drive traffic to and through your own hubs. The odds of Link ever operating a point-to-point flight that bypasses WestJet’s hub airports are slim.
cedric likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:43 pm

I've done the YYJ-SEA flights on DL many times, and they've always been full planes.
I think DL is the only airline I haven't flown from YYJ-SEA.

I know for sure I've flown Air Canada/Air BC(DHC6), Horizon (Metro3, D328, Q200, Q400), San Juan Air (C402, EMB110), and Pacific Western (737-200) on the route.

With DL dropping 3? E170s/day, and UA dropped their CRJ to SFO earlier this year; I'm sure there's room to add a couple of Saab340s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.