Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet Link approved for cross-border flights

Old Sep 6, 19, 12:38 am
Original Poster

As posted by @Airlineroute

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2019-164

APPLICATION by Pacific Coastal Airlines Limited carrying on business as WestJet Link (applicant) pursuant to subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended (CTA).

Case number:
19-05081The applicant has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate a scheduled international service, small aircraft in accordance with the Air Transport Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America signed on March 12, 2007 (Agreement).

The Agency is satisfied that the applicant meets all the applicable requirements of subsection 69(1) of the CTA. The Agency also finds that the pertinent terms and conditions of the Agreement have been complied with.

Accordingly, the Agency issues the licence.
Pacific Coastal applies for and received approval to operate cross-border flights operating as WestJet Link.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
As posted by @Airlineroute

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2019-164

Pacific Coastal applies for and received approval to operate cross-border flights operating as WestJet Link.
Vancouver to Seattle or Portland? Restore the Victoria - Seattle flight that Delta had? Can't think of anything out of Calgary they could do with such an aircraft.
Old Sep 6, 19, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Vancouver to Seattle or Portland? Restore the Victoria - Seattle flight that Delta had? Can't think of anything out of Calgary they could do with such an aircraft.
Calgary to Kalispell would make trips out to Big Mountain much easier and quicker.
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
Calgary to Kalispell would make trips out to Big Mountain much easier and quicker.
I’m thinking a similar thing - using Calgary as a hub for inland US North West cities to feed Canadian and European destinations (no US ones due to cabotage rules, though). Spokane and the surrounding areas have a population of about 300,000, Great Falls and surrounding areas 100,000 and about 50,000 for the Kalispell area.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post

I’m thinking a similar thing - using Calgary as a hub for inland US North West cities to feed Canadian and European destinations (no US ones due to cabotage rules, though). Spokane and the surrounding areas have a population of about 300,000, Great Falls and surrounding areas 100,000 and about 50,000 for the Kalispell area.
I thought Air Canada (Jazz? or maybe its predecessor) operated Calgary-Spokane before.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:37 am

YYJ-SEA makes the most sense, to replace the DL flight.
jkordyback, Fiordland and Symmetre like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
YVR to SEA and PDX are already well served by Air Canada and other carriers; if WestJet were going to serve those directly they'd use WestJet Encore and the Q400s (now Dash 8-400). Presumably these are going to be used for small U.S. markets.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Spokane-Calgary has been on again / off again with AC (on Jazz and Air Georgian) for years. I don’t think it ever generated much volume.

The goal of Link is primarily to feed WestJet’s YYC hub — building connecting traffic to the whole WS network. I don’t see Spokane (or anywhere in Montana) having enough volume.

My hunch is that they’ll build YVR cross border instead ... Vancouver has bigger US short-haul markets that can be served by those aircraft.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
My hunch is that they’ll build YVR cross border instead ... Vancouver has bigger US short-haul markets that can be served by those aircraft.
Which markets would they serve they wouldn't use Encore aircraft for?
Old Sep 6, 19, 1:27 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
What aircraft? YQR-MSP was a successful route for Delta, abandoned only because US subsidies made flying to quieter US airports economically defensible.
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I really doubt that WestJet will use Link to feed into Delta hubs in Seattle or Minneapolis -- bypassing their own Calgary and Vancouver hubs. The economics just don't make sense for them. The money is in getting connecting traffic going through their own hubs, not in operating the small feeder going into another airline's hub. I doubt we'll see Link (or Encore) on YYJ-SEA or YQR-MSP ... or anything similar. I expect that any new Link flights will only operate to/from YYC and YVR.

(SEA-YVR is a possibility, even though Delta already operates that route on Embraers today. United operated Beech1900s on that route for years and years ... directly competing with their own partner Air Canada. Then, UA's flights were positioned to feed traffic from BC into their Seattle mini-hub, while AC's flights were positioned to build traffic over their YVR hub. Partner airlines are still competing with each other.)

And there's always a possibility that this is a longer term play, with eyes on building short-haul cross-border into their YYZ hub sometime down the road. That might be a stretch for Pacific Coastal, but WS is still very much focused on growing Toronto.
Old Sep 8, 19, 1:08 am

YYJ-SEA makes very, very little sense.
Old Sep 8, 19, 6:06 am

I really doubt that WestJet will use Link to feed into Delta hubs in Seattle or Minneapolis -- bypassing their own Calgary and Vancouver hubs. The economics just don't make sense for them. The money is in getting connecting traffic going through their own hubs, not in operating the small feeder going into another airline's hub. I doubt we'll see Link (or Encore) on YYJ-SEA or YQR-MSP ... or anything similar. I expect that any new Link flights will only operate to/from YYC and YVR.

(SEA-YVR is a possibility, even though Delta already operates that route on Embraers today. United operated Beech1900s on that route for years and years ... directly competing with their own partner Air Canada. Then, UA's flights were positioned to feed traffic from BC into their Seattle mini-hub, while AC's flights were positioned to build traffic over their YVR hub. Partner airlines are still competing with each other.)

And there's always a possibility that this is a longer term play, with eyes on building short-haul cross-border into their YYZ hub sometime down the road. That might be a stretch for Pacific Coastal, but WS is still very much focused on growing Toronto.
If WS and Delta have a joint venture arrangement does that not change the economics? I would have thought as a joint venture setup it become irrelevant which of the two airlines operates a specific flight.
Old Sep 8, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by CZBB View Post
YYJ-SEA makes the most sense, to replace the DL flight.
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
YYJ-SEA makes very, very little sense.
I've done the YYJ-SEA flights on DL many times, and they've always been full planes.
Old Sep 8, 19, 10:14 am

It is unlikely WS would add a WestJet LInk route that is not in and out of either YYC or YYZ or YVR, as the Saab 340s are optimized to do a lot of feed flights per day into the hub from markets that can't support a larger aircraft and have a lot of passengers who are spending a lot more than they would on just the short journsy into the hub, due to their ongoing travel from the hub.
cedric likes this.

Search this Thread