Wiki Posts
Search

789 J Class seats....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
789 J Class seats....

Hello All. First timer here on the WJ Forum. My question is about the new J seats on the new 789 as I am looking at TATL alternatives to AC due to their "Deflategate" debacle. I may have it wrong but it looks like WJ chose the same (faulty) seat with the leaking air bladders as AC for their new offering and I wanted to clarify this as I don't want the take the expensive risk of having to sit on a park bench for 10 hours..... Any input would be appreciated. Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I have no idea if the WS pods are the same model or same manufacturer. But, even if they are, it’s a pretty sure bet that there’s no “deflategate” with the WestJet seats.

It it was a known issue with those seats - ie the ones that Air Canada installed - long before WS even would have specified, purchased or installed the seats on their brand new 787s. The chances that the manufacturer (if it’s the same one) would have sold the same seats (if they’re the same model) with the same flaw to WestJet — long after the quality issue was first identified? Zero. And the odds that WS would have selected the same flawed seats, or not taken steps to ensure they would not have the same problem, long after the issue was known? Zero.

You’ll be perfectly comfy.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I have no idea if the WS pods are the same model or same manufacturer. But, even if they are, it’s a pretty sure bet that there’s no “deflategate” with the WestJet seats.

It it was a known issue with those seats - ie the ones that Air Canada installed - long before WS even would have specified, purchased or installed the seats on their brand new 787s. The chances that the manufacturer (if it’s the same one) would have sold the same seats (if they’re the same model) with the same flaw to WestJet — long after the quality issue was first identified? Zero. And the odds that WS would have selected the same flawed seats, or not taken steps to ensure they would not have the same problem, long after the issue was known? Zero.

You’ll be perfectly comfy.
Westjet chose a different cushion and seating option of the rockwell collins seat. so you won’t have the same issues as air canada rockwell collins super diamond seat. plus westjets doesnt have the massage function in theirs.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Westjet chose a different cushion and seating option of the rockwell collins seat. so you won’t have the same issues as air canada rockwell collins super diamond seat. plus westjets doesnt have the massage function in theirs.
That's exactly what I need to know! Thank you very much. I'll pick foam cushions over inflatable bladders every day of the week!
smallmj likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
That's exactly what I need to know! Thank you very much. I'll pick foam cushions over inflatable bladders every day of the week!
@TheOnlyWayTo Fly

WS seats look almost identical to the ones I sat in on the AA B789. Looking at some photos, WS seats also look similar to the ones chosen by QR and MS. BA's brand new J cabin have the same pods but with added features and sliding doors. They all chose a different seat - and many if not all, chose the shoulder & lap seat belt unit instead of the airbag that AC has. Based on all that I've seen, read or flown in, AC is the only one with the inflating-deflating model which were custom-designed as many know. Also, when WS launched their B789, a couple of the bloggers took videos and I did not see a seat inflate button on the side panel.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by 24left
WS seats look almost identical to the ones I sat in on the AA B789. Looking at some photos, WS seats also look similar to the ones chosen by QR and MS.
WS ordered a custom Super Diamond seat which is pretty nice. I believe an ex-QR guy procured the seats for them, so that probably explains the similarities.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
WS ordered a custom Super Diamond seat which is pretty nice. I believe an ex-QR guy procured the seats for them, so that probably explains the similarities.
Rossen Dimitrov as ex-QR and then Chief Experience Officer at WestJet was involved with the decision, but multiple seat mockups from more than one manufacturer were displayed to the Exec, Board and other senior management for input into the decision on which seats, colours and designs would be used. Procurement procured the seats with Exec approval, as there is a robust selection process in place at WestJet to prevent vendor favouritism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.