WestJet to be Acquired by Onex

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...oval-1.5246280

WestJet sale to Onex OK'd by Canadian Competition Bureau
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:39 pm

6 of the 32 years I have worked for my employer, we were owned by Onex. The only time in our history we worried about our future was under them. Good luck to WestJet.
briantoronto likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:33 pm

Worried about the future of your company or the future of your career?
Has there been an Onex owned company that has gone under?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by DanJ
6 of the 32 years I have worked for my employer, we were owned by Onex. The only time in our history we worried about our future was under them. Good luck to WestJet.
My employer has gone through multiple private-public-private-public mergers, spin-offs over the years and I would say that the future was far more predictable under private ownership than public. I would say the specifics of the particular business unit are far more significant to Onex and its plans than whether it is Onex or not that is the private owner.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...oval-1.5246280

WestJet sale to Onex OK'd by Canadian Competition Bureau
Latest reports in the Vancouver Sun are that Air Canada is challenging the deal under the grounds that the investment fund may not meet the 5!% CDN ownership.

The motives of AC could be questions, I don't think they are challenging this out of a patriotic desire to protect Canadian interests but out of the spirit if you can make it harder for your main competitor to raise money they better off you are. Leaving the motives aside, it is an interesting move.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Latest reports in the Vancouver Sun are that Air Canada is challenging the deal under the grounds that the investment fund may not meet the 5!% CDN ownership.

The motives of AC could be questions, I don't think they are challenging this out of a patriotic desire to protect Canadian interests but out of the spirit if you can make it harder for your main competitor to raise money they better off you are. Leaving the motives aside, it is an interesting move.
Probably due to all the Love WJA has shown to their top competitor over the years..Lol!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland

From Page 136, Schedule E of the agreement between WestJet and Onex (https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...-agreement.pdf), Onex asserts:

"(9) Canadian Status. The Purchaser is not a “non-Canadian” as defined pursuant to
Section 3 of the ICA. The Purchaser is a “Canadian” as defined pursuant to Section 55(1)
of the CT Act.
(10) Purchaser Affiliates. Each of the Affiliates of the Purchaser that is directly or indirectly
owned or controlled by Onex and through which it indirectly controls the Purchaser is or
shall be upon formation duly formed and existing under the laws of Canada or a province
thereof, and Onex directly or indirectly owns or upon formation shall own a majority of
the voting interests in such Person and has or upon formation shall have control in fact
over such Person."

I'm sure all that is required is at most a tweak to the language to add future annual assertions to this state. I'm sure Onex will be throwing a few objections into the Air Transat takeover which I think will be a lot harder to solve than ensuring Onex or at least the Bidco subsidiary remains majority Canadian owned.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by aerobod
I'm sure all that is required is at most a tweak to the language to add future annual assertions to this state. I'm sure Onex will be throwing a few objections into the Air Transat takeover which I think will be a lot harder to solve than ensuring Onex or at least the Bidco subsidiary remains majority Canadian owned.
These two are always looking out for well being of each others legal team. Not to miss an opportunity to keep lawyers gainfully employed.
Sopwith likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: skyteam
Onex acquisition approved

It is official. Gerry Schwartz has his approval. I wish Onex and WestJet all the best fortune in their endeavour to expand a great airline.

WestJet and Onex have reached all required Canadian approvals

1) The court of Queen’s bench of Alberta

2)Canadian Competition Bureau

3)Canadian Transportation Agency

4)Transportation minister

5)Shareholder approval

as well as approvals related to antitrust laws from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/...main-canadian/
shuuy likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Dec 10, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...eio50OJPbGzHL8

Transportation regulator determines WestJet would remain Canadian after Onex deal
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
https://business.financialpost.com/t...wner-onex-corp

Head to head with AC and their sub-brands - hopefully to some smaller centres in the east.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
Worried about the future of your company or the future of your career?
Has there been an Onex owned company that has gone under?
From FP in 2015 - "Since its inception in 1984, Onex has invested in almost 80 companies, completed more than 480 acquisitions by itself and the companies it invests in, and recorded losses on just six of those investments, said Emma Thompson, an Onex spokeswoman. ... The company’s US$527 million acquisition of Hawker Beechcraft in 2007 was one of its rare losses. The Wichita-based business jet maker filed for bankruptcy protection in 2012 after a precipitous decline in executive jet sales in the fallout from the economic downturn."

No mention of the aggregate success vs. failure on that record of 474-6 but it's likely positive.

But not a market beater. TSX up 20% over the last 3 years (ending April before the WS offer), WS down 1.4% and Onex down 6.6% so an index fund would have been a better investment. (or other airlines - AC up 48%, CHR up 18% same period).
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
But not a market beater.
Depends on your time frame.

$3.19 in 1995 to $80 today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.