Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to be Acquired by Onex

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by newfbc
As for all kinds of fees and increases.. I think we're there already with Westjet.
Agree as there have been notable hikes in all kinds of fees in the past year.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:57 am
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I agree with this.
I expect that Onex will see passengers are there to be milked and for no other reason. Fees, fees, fees.
I do work for a lot of different business and and over time, several of them have been acquired by private equity funds. In each case the outcome has been bad for employees and customers.
I think a fair way to look at private equity takeovers is that THEY have to prove this won't be the case. One assumes they will damage the company in the long term, hurt employees and customers etc., in order to flip an asset. They may NOT do this, but that is what the M.O. of PE is. They've destroyed so many good companies and jobs in the US.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
ONEX is a private equity firm. They want to own companies, not run them.
I work for a company owned by private equity and I so very much wish that was true.
YXUFlyboy, wrp96 and jkordyback like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith
As one who has been involved in several acquisitions and observed several others up close (most of them on a much smaller scale), I also call BS on the potential changes or not. One does not spend billions of dollars on a company and leave it the way it is. Just doesn't happen. They may say that to appease those affected, but after the first year things will change.

This doesn't bode well for travellers. I can't see anything good coming out of this for us frequent flyers.

It also reminds me of the adage, "The quickest way to become a millionaire is to start off as a billionaire and buy an airline."
Agree with you here. If Onex sincerely liked the way the airline was operating and wanted to enjoy the profits of the company there is a simple low-cost option for them: purchase shares in the company! Why would they bother assuming all the liabilities and having to manage the day to day operations of the company if they could get the same benefits collecting a dividend as a shareholder? Onex sees a profitable organization that with a few "enhancements" from them will turn them into a real blue chip.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Agree as there have been notable hikes in all kinds of fees in the past year.
The introduction and hiking of fees is prevalent across the airline sector, no one airline (aside from perhaps WN) is immune to this. Be it AC raising the prices of economy fares through the introduction of Economy Basic, or the hiking of baggage fees across the boards by the airlines. The one thing I think may come now with Onex management is to simply match AC's practices when it comes to Basic Economy. However, what they fail to realize is that AC can pull off Basic Economy because they actual provide services customers expect and want. I doubt anyone will be upset if WS introduces Basic Economy for flights over the puddle to Europe given you have to pay for everything already!

-James

Last edited by FlyerTalker70; May 13, 2019 at 11:08 am Reason: Merge additional comment.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Anyone know what % of WS shares are owned by the ees? The deal has to be voted on by shareholders!
Assuming the numbers that I have seen are correct, approximately 55% of shares were public investors, 43% were institutional investors and 1% were insiders. I don't see enough pressure to turn down the offer especially considering the premium that is being offered.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:18 am

I recall the CEO mentioning the need to tap the brakes in regards to growth earlier this year:

https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...kes-at-westjet

Having said that, I wonder if this would be the catalyst for the airline to really transition from an LCC to a full-service model.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:33 am

What’s the break fee like?

I’m wondering if Onex is trying to lock up WestJet with the intention of buying Air Transat and merging them.

Maybe if Onex doesn’t get Transat, they’ll let their Westjet offer lapse and pay the break fee?

Sounds like something Onex has experience with trying to do in the past, and something that would justify such a premium.

Last edited by tecate55; May 13, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old May 13, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by tecate55
What’s the break fee like?

I’m wondering if Onex is trying to lock up WestJet with the intention of buying Air Transat and merging them.

Maybe if Onex doesn’t get Transat, they’ll let their Westjet offer lapse and pay the break fee?

Sounds like something Onex has experience with trying to do in the past, and something that would justify such a premium.
Thinking a bit bigger picture, what about if Onex purchases the Skunk (PD)? This would then give them good regional connectivity in the east. Combining WS, TS and PD into one entity would have some international coverage and decent domestic coverage. However, I doubt that will be enough for the likes of SkyTeam or OneWorld biting. One area I am surprised WS hasn't yet expanded into is Asia-Pacific. There's virtually no competition by the Domestics, with AA and DL pretty much closing up shop on many routes there. Having lift in that region could prove to be very valuable for both alliances.

-James
Old May 13, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by j2simpso
There's virtually no competition by the Domestics,
????
True if you discount the existence of the tons of flights to Asia Pacific by AC.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
????
True if you discount the existence of the tons of flights to Asia Pacific by AC.
Even AC is pretty weak in that department. How many flights from Eastern Canada are actually non-stop to Asia? I suspect I could count those on one hand. Most of the flights to Asia originate in YVR which for many is a no go.

-James
Old May 13, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Even AC is pretty weak in that department. How many flights from Eastern Canada are actually non-stop to Asia? I suspect I could count those on one hand. Most of the flights to Asia originate in YVR which for many is a no go.

-James
Which is an entirely different argument to "virtually no competition from the domestics"
Old May 13, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium

-James
There are a fair number non-stop from Toronto. AC flies daily to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, and Seoul. At least 3 Asia based airlines are also flying those routes. Montreal also has a few non-stops to Asia as well with AC flying to Tokyo and Shanghai.

Certainly Vancouver has more but I think Eastern Canada has pretty good options now.

Last edited by jkordyback; May 13, 2019 at 4:50 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by tecate55
That's my thought exactly.
I did mention in the TS thread on the AC forum that TS would most likely be bought by a pension fund.
Onex is close enough to a pension fund.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Error 601
I work for a company owned by private equity and I so very much wish that was true.
Ditto.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The introduction and hiking of fees is prevalent across the airline sector, no one airline (aside from perhaps WN) is immune to this. Be it AC raising the prices of economy fares through the introduction of Economy Basic, or the hiking of baggage fees across the boards by the airlines. The one thing I think may come now with Onex management is to simply match AC's practices when it comes to Basic Economy. However, what they fail to realize is that AC can pull off Basic Economy because they actual provide services customers expect and want. I doubt anyone will be upset if WS introduces Basic Economy for flights over the puddle to Europe given you have to pay for everything already!
Point being that raising airline ancillary fees to a point beyond which far fewer passengers buy them won't pay off in the long run and IMHO WS fees are getting closer to that point. How many flyers are going to spend $100 on regular advance econo seat assignment on a $400-$500 airfare with tax? The fee is already at $70 round trip as I know having flown YEG-CUN a month ago so skipped this fee and picked seats at OLCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.