Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to be Acquired by Onex

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by 5mm

I would think WS relationship with Delta will most likely end, unless Delta add a lots more value to WS. This would be because of Onex close ties to American Airlines. Also, I can now see WS joining One World or Skyteam depending who WS ties up with in the States.
It's unclear whether WS will ever join an alliance. Sure, WS has a lot to earn joining one, but from the standpoint of alliance partners, what do they have to gain by allowing WS to join? At best, WS can be characterized as a regional airline that serves a couple of key markets in Western Canada. However, it has virtually 0 international lift making connections and IRROP support virtually non-existent. The reason AC could be a founding member of *A was that they had the international route network (along with the strong domestic route network) that if you were flying say UA from JFK to ZRH and the flight went sideways, you could fly on to YYZ then catch the AC flight onwards to ZRH, FRA, or a number of other relevant international connection points. I don't see such similar instances with WS. The only argument for WS joining an alliance is that they would then have some domestic Canada coverage (but again that's limited). In fact, by SkyTeam and OneWorld not joining an alliance, they are allow to use whichever airline will get their pax to the final destination rather than being constrained to one airline that may (or may not) have the schedule their pax needs.

-James
Old May 13, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I wonder how much this will impact WestJet's shift to a full-service carrier, and how much capacity now moves to YYZ as a result. They've really invested in YYC.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Perhaps Onex will make WS fares competitive once and for all rather than be priced $10 cheaper than the comparable AC fare. ... Here's to hoping we once and for all see $90 fares between YXU and YUL! Perhaps new management will see the light in having WS join an alliance like SkyTeam instead of their current sorry state which can leave travellers stranded on complex itineraries ticketed with them.
None of the above.

ONEX is a private equity firm. They want to own companies, not run them.

There will be no big changes visible to customers - or even most employees. It really just means that the “C suite” at WestJet will report to a new group of people.

Given how much time, effort and money WestJet has already sunk into their new strategy, they wouldn’t have been a ripe acquisition target if ONEX didn’t think they were already on the right track.

The bankers working at ONEX will not be planning new routes, or shifting focus to Toronto routes, or dictating where planes fly from, or setting fares. The people planning routes and setting fares and determining strategy are all going to be the exact same people as today. The bankers won’t be doing that now. Just like the bankers won’t be loading baggage or doing safety demos.

This is is big news if you’re a WestJet shareholder or a WestJet employee. But it’ll have little to no impact on WestJet customers.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

This is is big news if you’re a WestJet shareholder or a WestJet employee. But it’ll have little to no impact on WestJet customers.
Not sure I neccessarily agree. Run the numbers, cost of capital, rate of return, etc. You're going to see an even tighter push to cost cutting and revenue generation. Ancillary fees? Yep those will be going up. Monetize monetize monetize to pay for the cost of acquisition.

Doubt union negotations will be that simple either....

Pretty sure they will also either close Swoop, or sell them off to someone else. Maybe not Encore, but you can bet every option is on the table.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jazzsax
Not sure I neccessarily agree. Run the numbers, cost of capital, rate of return, etc. You're going to see an even tighter push to cost cutting and revenue generation. Ancillary fees? Yep those will be going up. Monetize monetize monetize to pay for the cost of acquisition.

Doubt union negotations will be that simple either....

Pretty sure they will also either close Swoop, or sell them off to someone else. Maybe not Encore, but you can bet every option is on the table.
All of these items have been a focus of the current management team already (you can see this in the Investor Day presentations from the past few years). Union negotiations will continue to be complex, they haven’t been simple so far.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I didn't see this coming at all. I think it's a reflection of management's fundamental concern that they can't profitably grow and compete with AC's entrenched advantages in terms of network, lounges, alliance, etc.

Will be interesting to see how WS tries to maintain the "we are owners" mentality as a private company - will employees be able to own phantom shares or will they simply be employees going forward.

Note that Onex frequently holds companies for the long term, but when they say "Onex and its affilaited funds" are buying Westjet, I think this will be owned for a few years and then brought back to the market - possibly after selling a chunk to a US carrier.

Will be interesting to see how Onex changes the strategy to turn the business around. I am sure that change will be afoot.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
You'd think there would be rumours before about this but this really came out of nowhere. Really tight lips. Those who own a lot of shares like the original founders are just cashing out now. They are done. Does anyone know who at WJ (former or current) would come out of this with a big payday? How many shares would the original founders like Clive Beddoe, Mark Hill, Donald Bell, David Neeleman, Tim Morgan, and previous CEO Saretzky still own?

When Onex owned Aeroplan for a period, all kinds of fees popped up and increased. I am guessing we are heading that way with WJ. Not good for customers.

Last edited by Sunny Day; May 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Old May 13, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Onex as a stock has not done much in the last few years, ( down) however its a good value as a stock because of what they own. Its actually not a big deal for $5 billion for Onex, lets see what the stock market thinks of the deal in another week.
I wonder if Onex was chatting with Transat?
Old May 13, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
When Onex owned Aeroplan for a period, all kinds of fees popped up and increased. I am guessing we are heading that way with WJ. Not good for customers.
I don't think the Onex/Aeroplan thing ever happened.

As for all kinds of fees and increases.. I think we're there already with Westjet.

Ron.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by aerobod
As this is a friendly takeover, it won’t fundamentally change the organization structure or compensation package to employees. Onex has also been trying to buy a major airline since the Canadian / Air Canada merger, so they may not just be in it for the short term. They may also be the conduit to selling 49% to Delta and/or other major airlines.
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Ugh. I guess time will tell but this deal is disappointing to me. Private equity firms are notorious for buying companies, restructuring them to maximize profit, and then selling them again in about a 5-year investment window. WestJet is profitable but I can see Onex shifting WestJet away from more interesting and risky routes towards their more traditional LCC business model. I wonder how much this will impact WestJet's shift to a full-service carrier, and how much capacity now moves to YYZ as a result. They've really invested in YYC.
I expect the major benefit to Onex for the WestJet take over is that Onex is willing to take the short term pain for long term gain, letting WestJet management go through transitioning the airline from National/Continental LCC to Global Network Airline. Airlines are finding that operations are either extremely profitable with 0 widebodies or 20+ widebodies. Having a small transoceanic network of 10 widebodies is not profitable. In 6-7 years when Onex puts WestJet back onto the public company market the airline will have completed the transition to global network airline.

The major holdback for WestJet was the requirement to produce exceptional quarterly financial returns while developing the transoceanic operations. In response to YXUFlyboy concerns about risk, with WestJet going private there will be no concerns about simultaneously developing a European and Asian hub, something that will require most of the short term profits that were going to fund the dividend.
arf04 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:20 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Hopefully they won't pull an RBI-style Tim Horton's destruction.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

None of the above.

ONEX is a private equity firm. They want to own companies, not run them.

There will be no big changes visible to customers - or even most employees. It really just means that the “C suite” at WestJet will report to a new group of people.

Given how much time, effort and money WestJet has already sunk into their new strategy, they wouldn’t have been a ripe acquisition target if ONEX didn’t think they were already on the right track.

I work in private equity. What you described is pretty much the opposite of reality.
shuuy likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
As one who has been involved in several acquisitions and observed several others up close (most of them on a much smaller scale), I also call BS on the potential changes or not. One does not spend billions of dollars on a company and leave it the way it is. Just doesn't happen. They may say that to appease those affected, but after the first year things will change.

This doesn't bode well for travellers. I can't see anything good coming out of this for us frequent flyers.

It also reminds me of the adage, "The quickest way to become a millionaire is to start off as a billionaire and buy an airline."
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:49 am
formerly smoaky

Ah, private equity. I will be steering clear of this airline. Best of luck to the employees, however.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question employee ownership?

Anyone know what % of WS shares are owned by the ees? The deal has to be voted on by shareholders!
Old May 13, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Sopwith
As one who has been involved in several acquisitions and observed several others up close (most of them on a much smaller scale), I also call BS on the potential changes or not. One does not spend billions of dollars on a company and leave it the way it is. Just doesn't happen. They may say that to appease those affected, but after the first year things will change.

This doesn't bode well for travellers. I can't see anything good coming out of this for us frequent flyers.

It also reminds me of the adage, "The quickest way to become a millionaire is to start off as a billionaire and buy an airline."
I agree with this.
I expect that Onex will see passengers are there to be milked and for no other reason. Fees, fees, fees.
I do work for a lot of different business and and over time, several of them have been acquired by private equity funds. In each case the outcome has been bad for employees and customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.