Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NA Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
God, I’m really getting to hate the boxed hot “food” in Premium on the 737.

Those “mush boxes” really are quite awful. There’s just no redeeming quality at all. Taste is meh. Texture is awful. And handing someone a sealed box ... with a plastic covered “Lean Cuisine” looking tray inside ... just nasty. It’s like being in a drive-thru, not like sitting in Premium class.

(Even though it wouldn’t improve the food quality, I just don’t get why they wouldn’t try just a little bit harder. Have the FA unbox the food, and serve it on a tray. It’d just look nicer, more professional, and - well - “Premium”.)

And the three options are getting really, really tired. I think I’m back to preferring an exit row seat in Y over a Premium seat. Same legroom, and those nasty food boxes in Premium are becoming a disincentive.

Makes me long for the good old days of bowls from Chopped Leaf! (I’d take a kale and sweet potato bowl any day over that so-called steak sandwich!)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:18 am

I cannot understand why they serve that food over something proper. If they want to get business customers they have to get the bare minimums done right. Including a seat that has some padding.

Its unbelievable how they get away with calling this a premium product.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:25 am

Changes are coming, or at least we are continually told that changes are coming. Implementation is a disaster at Westjet. It is a mix of poor management, lack of investment/budget and a continuous lack of focus/change of direction. The frustration doesn't only reside at the consumer level.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by aerobod
Should be back at some point, the issue was end of life of the pre-ordering system being used with shift to new catering contracts and a lack of a suitable substitute in the required timeline.
Do you think it was perfect timing to eliminate pre-ordering and onboard sales from what has to be a majority of your flights at the same time?

You used to be able to buy the $9 ham and swiss at the Wal-Mart deli counter in identical packaging for $2, I think WestJet built spoilage into the pricing model.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Change couldn't happen soon enuf.
Had a horrible steak sandwich in plus, that was so overheated that it took 10 minutes to pick up, plus all the onions had slid off the bun, and then under the bun, turning said bun into mush.
I told the FA if you are going after AC's PE with this offering you are missing it by a mile.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Change couldn't happen soon enuf.
Had a horrible steak sandwich in plus, that was so overheated that it took 10 minutes to pick up, plus all the onions had slid off the bun, and then under the bun, turning said bun into mush.
I told the FA if you are going after AC's PE with this offering you are missing it by a mile.
I have had the identical experience and agree they need to change but...to be clear, the change has to result in an improvement and not just a change from one kind of unpalatable mush to another from a different vendor.....and they REALLY need to cut down on the mountain of wasteful packaging.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:51 am

The “steak” sandwich is the worst of the lot. By the time it’s heated, then unboxed, then un-plastic-wrapped, the bread and potatoes are more of a gooey casserole surrounding the greyish meat product. Just gross. When I’ve had it, I just pick out the meat.

As much as I’ve steered my loyalty to WestJet, I have to agree that AC is miles ahead of them in terms of food. I’d take AC On Board Cafe purchase options (in economy class) over WestJet 737 Premium food any day. (Then again, I’d also take WS purchase options in economy over the hot food offering in Premium, too.)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Member

Change is coming in May! It will be like night and day:
- proper TSU
- food produced by Gate Gourmet, not current provider.
- Food served in ceramic service equipment
- real cutlery, real napkin, real salt/pepper shaker

A complete overhaul! Cabin Crew are being trained currently.
Fiordland and mxqisit like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Woohoo! Awesome news!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Fisch
Change is coming in May! It will be like night and day:
- proper TSU
- food produced by Gate Gourmet, not current provider.
- Food served in ceramic service equipment
- real cutlery, real napkin, real salt/pepper shaker

A complete overhaul! Cabin Crew are being trained currently.
Questions:
1. How do you know this?
2. What's TSU?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Questions:
1. How do you know this?
2. What's TSU?

Thanks
I am a long term employee of the Carrier.
TSU is Tray Service Unit: so the whole properly setup meal may be present at once with appropriate sides, etc.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:55 pm

TSU is Tray Service Unit: so the whole properly setup meal may be present at once with appropriate sides, etc.
OK..It took me three reads to figure it out. My first few takes was that you worked for an air conditioning manufacturer......but ...now I get it.

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

So does TSU mean the cart the trays come in?

Either way this is positive.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
So does TSU mean the cart the trays come in?

Either way this is positive.
The TSU is literally the tray and it’s contents. 😊
Fiordland likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:18 pm

The airline industry is powered by TLAs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.