Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

National Parks passes
$80 annual pass
$80 senior lifetime pass (62 and older US citizens and permanent residents)
Print Wikipost

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:29 pm

Saw one mention of cell coverage from 2013. How is it now? Should I plan on bringing walkie talkies instead? I'll be caravan-ing with a couple of other cars. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Just got back from Yellowstone. Wow!

We went after Labor Day. The weather was perfect and the animals were everywhere. What a gorgeous place.

Probably our 8th trip, but still great.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
A helpful hint: reservations for dinner at the Old Faithful Lodge (1904) for nonguests open up 60 days ahead of time.
Just don't try the buffet. We did it two years ago and it was dreadful and way overpriced. Maybe the other items on the menu would be fine. Call me crazy, but I really like the Three Bear Restaurant in West Yellowstone. The food and service are always great.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by whistler814
Saw one mention of cell coverage from 2013. How is it now? Should I plan on bringing walkie talkies instead? I'll be caravan-ing with a couple of other cars. Thanks!
I will answer my own question. Cell coverage is still really spotty/nonexistent in many areas of the park. I was able to get some signal near Old Faithful, Artist Point, and Mammoth Hot Springs. Though my (AT&T) phone showed 4G LTE, the bandwidth was probably congested because it took forever for anything to load. My Verizon MiFi was no better with signal/speed.

We had dinner one night at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel Dining Room. The building and view from the restaurant are nice. However, the food was meh, and the service was terrible. 100% avoid eating at this place.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:35 am

We were just there and there was no cell phone coverage on the roads, so I can imagine the back country having zero as well. I have AT&T if that matters.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Originally Posted by whistler814
If you do use walkie talkie radios at YNP, channel 4 is used by the geyser gazers to communicate with each other and with the Visitor Center personnel at the Old Faithful area. If you use channel 4, there is an excellent chance that 50 people are listening to every word.

Using walkie talkies to monitor geyser activities is a great way to find our geyser predictions and activities. You do not have to be a geyser gazer to use channel 4 to glean useful information.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:21 pm

Make sure you are hydrated. Your first day there dont try to kill yourself with higher climbing long hikes. Jenny Lake trail, and schwabacher. all are flat with little elevation gain. You need to adjust to higher altitudes. The only day you could experience altitude sickness is when you do the beartooth highway when you get above 8,500 feet. You may feel quesy even when driving---drink water that day.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:59 am

Yellowstone on Thanksgiving

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm thinking about a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons over the Thanksgiving holidays this year. I've always taken road trips in the summer. How is it like weather and road conditions wise in late November? I would assume the crowds will be lesser?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by JoyRider
Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm thinking about a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons over the Thanksgiving holidays this year. I've always taken road trips in the summer. How is it like weather and road conditions wise in late November? I would assume the crowds will be lesser?

Thanks
Not only will it be less crowded, the roads may be closed if the snows are early. Check out the NPS websites for historic closing dates and winter access restrictions. Much of the lodging will be closed in Yellowstone.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:40 pm

Most Yellowstone roads close after the first weekend in November.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Bozeman to Yellowstone

I'll be in Bozeman in late June and would like to do a one-day trip to Yellowstone. Since I don't like mountain driving, I've been looking for a bus/van tour that picks up in Bozeman; tours parts of Yellowstone, including Old Faithful; then returns to Bozeman. I can only find private tours that cost $690--WAY more than I want to pay. Does anyone know of a tour that fits these requirements?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by linsj
I'll be in Bozeman in late June and would like to do a one-day trip to Yellowstone. Since I don't like mountain driving, I've been looking for a bus/van tour that picks up in Bozeman; tours parts of Yellowstone, including Old Faithful; then returns to Bozeman. I can only find private tours that cost $690--WAY more than I want to pay. Does anyone know of a tour that fits these requirements?
FWIW, it's not really mountain driving to get from Bozeman to Yellowstone. The only somewhat mountainous part of the drive is in the park itself, mainly the stretch from Canyon Village to Tower Junction. Yes, the road goes up and down in places, but it's generally modest grades with good visibility. (I'm assuming you're not planning to drive out the northeast or east entrances from Bozeman.)

I don't know of any tours, but you might look into tours from West Yellowstone, and then driving yourself from Bozeman to West Yellowstone to join the tour - a lot of the money you're paying is probably for transportation all the way from Bozeman, which is a couple of hours drive to Yellowstone.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:21 pm

A US National Parks Senior Pass is a lifetime pass available to United States citizens and permanent residents 62 years of age or older.
It can be used at over 2000 Federal recreation sites, including National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, and many National Forest lands.

It admits not only the pass owner, but also any passengers traveling with him/her in a non-commercial vehicle.

While the present cost is $10, it is due to increase to $80 sometime this year.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...-buy-it-now-10
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
drewguy, thanks for responding. I finally decided I'll have to drive, and I like the idea of taking a tour from West Yellowstone. Will look into this.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by linsj
Agree with the West Yellowstone tours.

Karst Stage runs regular bus service to West. From there a number of outfitters offer day tours of the park. The only issue might be timing as the tours from West likely leave in the morning, before the first Karst shuttle arrives. You may need to spend the evening in West if you wanted to do it without driving yourself.

An operator I have used a number of times and have referred multiple people to is Yellowstone Alpen Guides - they offer a great services and would be worth looking into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.