Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

National Parks passes
$80 annual pass
$80 senior lifetime pass (62 and older US citizens and permanent residents)
Print Wikipost

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by WildWilly
OF Inn is historic but not luxurious. Some people claim they're staying there for the views. I guess if you do have a view and want to sit and watch OF erupt every 90 minutes and sip wine in between, then that's a decision. Is that a good enough reason to have a noisy room with paper-thin walls and possibly creaky ceiling and floors? Again, that's a decision..

Oliver wants to stay at the historic park lodges---that is part of the experience he wants at the park
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:19 pm

I just wanted to make sure your choices of lodging are/is based mostly on the location of your activities.

If you were going from Roosevelt to Lake but wanted to spend a day or two in between I would suggest Canyon.

However, since it appears you want to end up in Cody as a last stop outside the park, then Lake is the first place you'll hit inside.

Unless I was planning some lake activities such a boating, etc I probably would stay in Canyon instead.

Lake is about 20 minutes south of Hayden Valley which is good.

Canyon has the large waterfalls, is less than 15 minutes above Hayden and if you're brave the Mount Washburn trail is about 10-12 minutes north of Canyon.

But like I said, if you have water activities planned for lake, Lake is fine. But I think you also said you're staying at Jenny Lake. So maybe you are not planning lake activities in Lake.

I think you may be planning too many lodging changes. That's probably because you have way too many things on the itinerary. You don't have to do everything. Spectacular scenery is spectacular scenery. If you see too much you won't remember which is which a month later.

Most people going to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons plan shorter trips and many return a year or two later.

One thing I meant to add to a previous post. I think you mentioned that you are planning back country hiking. Typically, those are longer hikes. They require good hiking boots and some degree of conditioning.

I hope you have plans to be in a group of at least 4 people, have bear spray and know how to use it. Also, you should do some reading about what to do if you encounter a bear and how to tell a black bear from a grizzly. They do act differently.

A black bear isn't always black and a grizzly isn't always brown.

Typically bears are shy and don't want to have anything to do with you. Their main activity is eating berries to fatten up for the next winter. But . . .
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:15 pm

The real reason that I want to end up in the Cody area, is because I really want to do all of the scenic drives and byways which mostly wind around from the NE to E Park Entrances. Because there are many sites and attractions en route, it would be too rushed and possibly not safe to do that entire stretch in a single drive. We obviously don't want to be taking these roads at night. So I think it would be a lot more pleasant to spend an overnight somewhere in the Cody area. Perhaps not the town itself as I think an hour or two will be enough, but I'm considering one of the historic dude ranches dotting the Shoshone Nat'l Forest. It just seems like a fun and convenient way of doing the entire loop.

When you talk about Canyon, I assume you're speaking about Canyon Lodge and the surrounding area, right? It looks to only be a 35 minute drive up Grand Loop from Lake Lodge/Hotel, so with two full days, we should be positioned well enough to cover everything, don't you think?

My wife is less of an "outdoorsmen" than I am. She loves adventure and we travel really well together, often taking road trips up to the Sierras and gold country in the foothills. She's not really into "roughing it" though. I've tried to get her to tent camp in the redwoods, but she prefers cabins or b&b's. We've been to Yosemite many times but she enjoys the pretty footpaths in the valley, a mixed drink with a view, etc. over really getting "into" the park. I'm trying to change that! I took her snowshoeing off trails in the backwoods up around Glacier Point at 4 am in Yosmite to witness the sunrise over the park and she loved it. It was a true wonderland; everything was pristine and silent except for our footprints in the fresh snow, until the sun slowly crept up from behind the peaks and the frozen park creaked to life. It was a definite highlight... although she got too cold after an hour and a half (maybe a little longer) and we had to head back to the lodge, haha. She's really more of a beach person, to be honest. Part of planning is taking her enjoyment into account, and I know that she would have a much better time using Lake Hotel as a base then staying directly in Canyon. She'd love the lake view, boating, etc. Moreover, the drive between both camps is short, and like any of the interior park roads, replete with unforseen excitement and wildness around every bend - so I'm just as happy to stay at Lake Hotel as well.

I'll look into the Mount Washburn Trail and decide if we're brave enough! I definitely intend to spend at least a full day around the Canyon area, exploring the falls and other sights which I've yet to research properly.

As for back-country hikes... we'll only be doing day hikes on this trip. I'm warming my wife up for Glacier the following autumn, where we'll be doing a few of the overnight chalets. The reason I want to spend longer in the parks on this trip is because we're flying in from California and I want to see and do everything. My goal is to visit all of the Nat'l Parks in the U.S. over the next several years. We're going to focus on Glacier in 2016. Olympic and Acadia in 2017. And so on... with several long-weekends in California and Oregon between, and Banff/Jasper too. That's not to say that we won't ever be back to Yellowstone! But I doubt it will be anytime in the near future, as we have an infinite list of travel destinations and as mentioned, while my wife loves the idea of Yellowstone and the Parks... they aren't necessarily her first choice. She's a global traveller who's been to more than 35 countries already with an exhausting list of destinations still unfulfilled. We've got family to focus on in the near future, so I really want to get all that I can out of this and I don't think that 11-12 days spread between two National Parks seems that long!

As for full-day hikes into the park interior (or as deep as we can safely go accounting for the return!) is it not safe to do so as a couple? I feel pretty comfortable and confident in the backwoods. My grandfather had a place on one of the Conneticut Lakes near Pittsburgh, NH and I spent many summers portaging through the bush and fishing the rivers with my dad, amongst bears, moose, etc. I've been all over northern Quebec, Labrador, Alberta, BC, etc. I understand that none of these places are quite as wild as Yellowstone, or rather, as teeming with wildlife and large predators. I'm not afraid of black bears, although I've never had close encounters with grizzlies, which do frighten me! I'm pretty well read on large animal encounters though and we plan to always pack bear spray - even for short trail hikes! I wonder if it's foolish and unsafe to set off on 10-mile day hikes through the Tetons with only 2 people though; what do you think?

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
The real reason that I want to end up in the Cody area, is because I really want to do all of the scenic drives and byways which mostly wind around from the NE to E Park Entrances. Because there are many sites and attractions en route, it would be too rushed and possibly not safe to do that entire stretch in a single drive. We obviously don't want to be taking these roads at night. So I think it would be a lot more pleasant to spend an overnight somewhere in the Cody area. Perhaps not the town itself as I think an hour or two will be enough, but I'm considering one of the historic dude ranches dotting the Shoshone Nat'l Forest. It just seems like a fun and convenient way of doing the entire loop.

When you talk about Canyon, I assume you're speaking about Canyon Lodge and the surrounding area, right? It looks to only be a 35 minute drive up Grand Loop from Lake Lodge/Hotel, so with two full days, we should be positioned well enough to cover everything, don't you think?

My wife is less of an "outdoorsmen" than I am. She loves adventure and we travel really well together, often taking road trips up to the Sierras and gold country in the foothills. She's not really into "roughing it" though. I've tried to get her to tent camp in the redwoods, but she prefers cabins or b&b's. We've been to Yosemite many times but she enjoys the pretty footpaths in the valley, a mixed drink with a view, etc. over really getting "into" the park. I'm trying to change that! I took her snowshoeing off trails in the backwoods up around Glacier Point at 4 am in Yosmite to witness the sunrise over the park and she loved it. It was a true wonderland; everything was pristine and silent except for our footprints in the fresh snow, until the sun slowly crept up from behind the peaks and the frozen park creaked to life. It was a definite highlight... although she got too cold after an hour and a half (maybe a little longer) and we had to head back to the lodge, haha. She's really more of a beach person, to be honest. Part of planning is taking her enjoyment into account, and I know that she would have a much better time using Lake Hotel as a base then staying directly in Canyon. She'd love the lake view, boating, etc. Moreover, the drive between both camps is short, and like any of the interior park roads, replete with unforseen excitement and wildness around every bend - so I'm just as happy to stay at Lake Hotel as well.

I'll look into the Mount Washburn Trail and decide if we're brave enough! I definitely intend to spend at least a full day around the Canyon area, exploring the falls and other sights which I've yet to research properly.

As for back-country hikes... we'll only be doing day hikes on this trip. I'm warming my wife up for Glacier the following autumn, where we'll be doing a few of the overnight chalets. The reason I want to spend longer in the parks on this trip is because we're flying in from California and I want to see and do everything. My goal is to visit all of the Nat'l Parks in the U.S. over the next several years. We're going to focus on Glacier in 2016. Olympic and Acadia in 2017. And so on... with several long-weekends in California and Oregon between, and Banff/Jasper too. That's not to say that we won't ever be back to Yellowstone! But I doubt it will be anytime in the near future, as we have an infinite list of travel destinations and as mentioned, while my wife loves the idea of Yellowstone and the Parks... they aren't necessarily her first choice. She's a global traveller who's been to more than 35 countries already with an exhausting list of destinations still unfulfilled. We've got family to focus on in the near future, so I really want to get all that I can out of this and I don't think that 11-12 days spread between two National Parks seems that long!

As for full-day hikes into the park interior (or as deep as we can safely go accounting for the return!) is it not safe to do so as a couple? I feel pretty comfortable and confident in the backwoods. My grandfather had a place on one of the Conneticut Lakes near Pittsburgh, NH and I spent many summers portaging through the bush and fishing the rivers with my dad, amongst bears, moose, etc. I've been all over northern Quebec, Labrador, Alberta, BC, etc. I understand that none of these places are quite as wild as Yellowstone, or rather, as teeming with wildlife and large predators. I'm not afraid of black bears, although I've never had close encounters with grizzlies, which do frighten me! I'm pretty well read on large animal encounters though and we plan to always pack bear spray - even for short trail hikes! I wonder if it's foolish and unsafe to set off on 10-mile day hikes through the Tetons with only 2 people though; what do you think?
I'm not about to try and convince you about anything. If you want to do everything and think you'll enjoy it, fine.

You have very aggressive plans. It's good to have a lot of time on your hands and nothing but trips to fill it. You wrote in another thread that you work hard and save for the things you want. With your plans I wouldn't have time to work.

There's a reason they're called wildlife. They're wild and unpredictable. Also, the further you get from civilization the less they're used to seeing people.

Black bears are more dangerous than grizzlies. If a grizzly comes at you it's probably because you surprised it or it has cubs. A black bear may stalk you and look at you as a meal.

A male moose may be one of the largest animals you'll see. More people probably get killed by moose/deer than bears. I imagine being gored by antlers might hurt. While I don't think you'll see bison in the back country, there are a lot of them in Yellowstone.

The fact that you even say that black bears don't scare you would be enough for me to be concerned.

Mt Washburn is a very easy trail. It's about 3 1/2 miles long and a smooth and gentle dirt road up to a ranger station. The problem is the elevation change.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:26 pm

I don't understand the personal comments... I have as much time as anyone else. We enjoy travelling and I enjoy planning. Are you suggesting that we travel too much or should be working more? I'm sorry if you don't have 11 days to take for vacation but we do, and this is how we're planning to spend it next year. I appreciate your suggestions though.

I'm very well aware of the signifigance and meaning of the term wildlife; as I've stated above, I spent my childhood in the backwoods. If you know anything about Pittsburgh, NH then you probably know that there's a stretch of Route 3 often referred to as "Moose Alley", for good reason. I spent summers up there, fishing alongside them. We'd often wake up to moose, black bears, etc. on our front lawn. In any event, I've spent a good deal of time in the wilderness. I have never been to Yellowstone and I have never spent any amount of time in grizzly country. I don't have a fear of black bears because I've been around them and am comfortable in my wilderness practices and safety precautions to not have to worry. I merely asked if it was unsafe for 2 people to be hiking in the backwoods alone, as you advised to stick with a group of 4 or larger. No need to be condescending about it. Thanks for the info on Mt. Washburn; it sounds like something we'd be able to tackle.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:37 pm

In general, the chances are you won't meet up with a bear.

However, you never know. You seem to be quite confident you'll be able to handle any situation.

About Mt Washburn. While most people have to rest often on the way up, I guess it's possible someone not living in elevation will just sail on up to the top.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Park City to West Yellowstone

Driving from Park City to West Yellowstone next week. Looks like the weather will be excellent.

Would love some suggestions for fun things to do on the way. We love to hike (I know it's winter) National Parks and museums.

Is there anything fun to do on the way? Would be willing to go the eastern route if it was much more scenic and/or fun-filled.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going the western route, off the top of my head there is Antelope Island State Park, Willard Bay State Park, the Golden Spike National Historic Site, the Idaho National Engineering Labratory, and the Idaho Falls falls.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/park/ante...and-state-park

http://stateparks.utah.gov/park/willard-bay-state-park

http://www.nps.gov/gosp/index.htm

http://www.id.doe.gov/insideNEID/BriefHistory.htm

http://www.visitidahofalls.com
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, off the top of my head, going eastern route there is the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, Kemmerer, WY (home of the very first JC Penneys store and his home), Fossil Butte National Monument, and of course Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone.

http://www.utah.com/byways/mirror_lake.htm

http://www.kemmerer.org

http://www.nps.gov/fobu/index.htm

But, since it is winter, the scenic byway is closed to everything but snowmobiles. You could still drive from PC to Kamas and then go from there to I-80 via Rockport State Park and Echo. But in the winter, there is not much to do hiking wise if you don't have snowshoes.

So in winter, take the western route. In summer, the east route is more scenic and better hiking.

Last edited by amanuensis; Jan 17, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:43 pm

Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier NP road trip - comments/ideas please

I'm planning a road trip for Mrs em & me to cover Grand Teton, Yellowstone & Glacier NPs.
Main interests are scenery and wildlife, staying in mid-range properties.
Our flights are booked - arriving into SLC on 4th July, departing from Boise 18th July. I need to fill the 2 weeks in between.

Current thinking is:
2 nts SLC, probably at Hilton or HGI in city center
2 nts Signal Mountain Lodge
2 nts Lake Yellowstone Hotel (nothing else is available in the park on these dates)
2 nts West Yellowstone Holiday Inn (I have two free nights from the Into The Nights promo to use)
1 nt Butte (just to break the journey - are there better choices?)
2 nts Glacier NP (Haven't looked at accommodation yet - will stay in Kalispell if necessary)

We then have two nights to get to Boise. I was originally planning to drive it, but it's a long slog (520 miles) - is there anything worth seeing on the way?
An alternative is to fly direct from Spokane - if so, what to do in the Spokane area for a day or two? (Wineries?)
Or just fly Kalispell-Boise (via SEA or PDX)?

Or am I crazy trying to fit Glacier NP into this itinerary? Any alternative suggestions?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
You need more time for glacier....I usually suggest 4-5 nights split between east and west side ( more on the east side)

What I'd suggest.....

4 fly into SLC, stay there
5 drive to grand Teton...stay there
6 grand Teton...stay there
7 grand Teton till around 11am, PM Yellowstone,
8-10 Yellowstone
11 am/early PM Yellowstone then drive to Helena, mt
12 am to glacier, PM 2 medicine area, night st Mary's or in many glacier
13 many glacier, night in st Mary's
14 drive going yo the sun road to west glacier, stay somewhere in Columbia falls or west glacier. Kalispell and whitefish are farther out.
15 day seeing west glacier then drive down to Missoula for the night
16 drive into the sawtooth mountains to maybe Hailey.
17 day in sawtooth area then drive to boise
18 fly home.

An alternate...

15 after seeing west glacier till around 3pm, drive to sandpoint or Couer d'Alene
16 explore Couer dalene..drive to walla walla
17 explore walla walla wineries then drive to boise
18 fly home
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
If the only reason you're driving to Boise is to begin your eastward return, you could instead fly from Kalispell via DEN or ORD to wherever.

I agree 2 nights really isn't enough to do Glacier justice. Even 3 would be good if you can't squeeze in more.

It would not surprise me if the in-the-park Glacier lodges were already booked solid for early Jul. I ended up staying in Whitefish -- which wasn't a bad drive -- the end of Aug, because I didn't try booking anything until late May...
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:51 am

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of the Sawtooth Mts, so thanks for that tip.

I realise return from Boise isn't ideal, but it's already booked and there weren't any suitable options further north (this is a status run as well as a vacation!)
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:39 pm

As it is now in Yellowstone? Quietly? Also want to visit
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:40 pm

We are doing a similar trip this summer, July 23 - August 2, 10 full days, but flying in and out of Bozeman, MT. Because our planning started early, we have reservations all at various park lodges, which are not as fancy as some prefer, but have the edge on location. Our itinerary avoids lengthy driving far afield from the destinations, except for the equivalent of a roundtrip between Yellowstone and Glacier.

Four days is about the minimum I would recommend for Yellowstone. Glacier is smaller, but a visit to adjoining Waterton Lakes, Alberta is almost mandatory.

A helpful hint: reservations for dinner at the Old Faithful Lodge (1904) for nonguests open up 60 days ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.