Consolidated "Sedona AZ - questions, advice, recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Sedona AZ - questions, advice, recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't particularly care for what 944 magazine refers to as "the new age [profanity removed by the senior moderator] " but if you want to go there, be my guest

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 4, 2006 at 8:54 pm Reason: Profanity per FT Rules/Guidelines http://web2.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q88
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Schnebly Hill Road is un-paved and pretty rough. It's fine if you have a 67 Bronco (as I do), or a rental-car . Just be sure that the rental car is not too low - try to get an SUV of some sort if possible. It might already be closed for the winter as we've had our first snow up here in Flag though. There are a ton of places around Sedona to go for scenic drives and hikes. We went there Sunday as it was too cold for hiking here in Flag we did the Red Rock State Parks - you can hike all of the trails there in about 4 hours - its $6 to get in. You can also go hiking anywhere along Oak Creek - beware - the Sedona forest service has instituted a 'cover charge' on the national forest. This is known locally as the 'Red rock pass' which you have to buy in order to park your car anywhere along Oak creek. It's $5 for a day, or $15 for a week.

The drive from Sedona to Flag up 89A is very scenic as well. There are lots of good paved drives as well. Jerome is a neat 1/2 day trip - it's less than an hour from Sedona and a cool and funky town.

Here's the forest service Sedona website: http://www.redrockcountry.org/
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Schnebly Hill Road is un-paved and pretty rough. It's fine if you have a 67 Bronco (as I do), or a rental-car . Just be sure that the rental car is not too low - try to get an SUV of some sort if possible. It might already be closed for the winter as we've had our first snow up here in Flag though. There are a ton of places around Sedona to go for scenic drives and hikes. We went there Sunday as it was too cold for hiking here in Flag we did the Red Rock State Parks - you can hike all of the trails there in about 4 hours - its $6 to get in. You can also go hiking anywhere along Oak Creek - beware - the Sedona forest service has instituted a 'cover charge' on the national forest. This is known locally as the 'Red rock pass' which you have to buy in order to park your car anywhere along Oak creek. It's $5 for a day, or $15 for a week.

The drive from Sedona to Flag up 89A is very scenic as well. There are lots of good paved drives as well. Jerome is a neat 1/2 day trip - it's less than an hour from Sedona and a cool and funky town.

Here's the forest service Sedona website: http://www.redrockcountry.org/

Thank you very much for a very well thought-out response.

We drove Schnebly Hill Road last January in a Land Rover LR3 (rented from Hertz) which I set with the suspension raised to the maximum and the terrain selected to "rocks."

Next weekend we will have a Hummer H2 so, I would hope, we are ready.

May I ask your reaction to this passage from the Fodor's guide:
"Submarine Rock

. . .

You can drive up FR 179F, a very technical jeep trail that should be attempted only by highly skilled off-road vehicle drivers. . ."
A) Would it be safe for me to try in an H2? As for skill, I drive in New York City.

B) How's the weather in Sedona? (Yes, I know I can go to accuweather.com, but you get to see the local TV reports.)

Thank you again!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:59 am

Well, technically, I don't get to see the local forecasts since DirecTV gives me the Phoenix stations - but then again, not a lot of news happens up here in Flag! The weather should be nice - it's supposed to get cooler next week. It's been in the mid 60s in Sedona, should still be in the 50s there next week. I go here for my weather: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/

Submarine rock is part of the broken arrow trail. An H2 should do OK - there are a few technical obstacles (the staircase is neat), but if you get stuck, a pink jeep should be along shortly to help you out. They do tours on that trail, so you'll see them as well. The whole trail is rated a 3 (out of 5) which should be pretty challenging for you city folk Total time is about 3 hours.

If you google "broken arrow sedona", there are lots of sites with descriptions and photos of the trails.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:47 am

Well, technically, I don't get to see the local forecasts since DirecTV gives me the Phoenix stations - but then again, not a lot of news happens up here in Flag! The weather should be nice - it's supposed to get cooler next week. It's been in the mid 60s in Sedona, should still be in the 50s there next week. I go here for my weather: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/

Submarine rock is part of the broken arrow trail. An H2 should do OK - there are a few technical obstacles (the staircase is neat), but if you get stuck, a pink jeep should be along shortly to help you out. They do tours on that trail, so you'll see them as well. The whole trail is rated a 3 (out of 5) which should be pretty challenging for you city folk Total time is about 3 hours.

If you google "broken arrow sedona", there are lots of sites with descriptions and photos of the trails.

This webpage is very impressive: http://www.roadrunner4wheelers.org/arrow/index.html

Is this the same location about which I asked you?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:20 pm

Yep - that's it.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:50 pm

Yep - that's it.
My hotel concierge has e-mailed me the following:
"The website refers to the Broken Arrow Trail. This trail is certainly doable with a Hummer H2. However, this trail was recently bought by Pink Jeep Tours and is not accessible to the public."
Is this true?

She also recommends Soldiers Pass, or Indian Ruins.

Have you been to these?

Many, many thanks again. If you ever come to NYC, I'm your man.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:48 am

I had not heard that it was closed. About a month ago, a group of guys from here did the broken arrow trail (I was out of town and could not go), so it was open then. I highly doubt that the pink jeep tours could have bought the whole trail as it is on national forest land. I can't find anything on-line about that. This is the 1st I've heard of it. The pink jeeps do get access to some other trails that the public can't go on, but I am not aware of Broken arrow being one of them.

I have not been on Soldier pass, but I hear that's neat as well.

It's been a few years since I was in NYC. I used to commute from Phoenix to Mahwah, NJ every week for 19 months. Don't miss that much! I was one of the few D'Back fans in Yankee stadium on 10/31/2001. That was a lot of fun.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:03 am

I had not heard that it was closed. About a month ago, a group of guys from here did the broken arrow trail (I was out of town and could not go), so it was open then. I highly doubt that the pink jeep tours could have bought the whole trail as it is on national forest land. I can't find anything on-line about that. This is the 1st I've heard of it. The pink jeeps do get access to some other trails that the public can't go on, but I am not aware of Broken arrow being one of them.

I have not been on Soldier pass, but I hear that's neat as well.

It's been a few years since I was in NYC. I used to commute from Phoenix to Mahwah, NJ every week for 19 months. Don't miss that much! I was one of the few D'Back fans in Yankee stadium on 10/31/2001. That was a lot of fun.

I checked out the Broken Arrow situation with a Ranger by calling the Sedona Chamber of Commerce.

Here's the story. Pink Jeeps has the exclusive right to conduct jeep tours. But it IS open to the public. As the ranger said to me, "this land is your land."

He did, however, tell me that a Hummer H2 was "too wide" to be acceptable so I downgraded to an H3.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:20 pm

Whew! I was worried that pink jeeps managed to find a way to keep the public off the national forest land. Glad to see it's just an exclusivity thing with the tours. I do my own personal yellow Bronco tours, so it won't be a problem with me

I'd agree that an H3 is a better option than an H2. A lot of trails here in AZ are just too tight form something that large to easily go down. At the very least, you might end up with a lot of 'desert pin striping' which the rental co would probably not appreciate. Smaller is better on a lot of the trails out here.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:58 pm

Whew! I was worried that pink jeeps managed to find a way to keep the public off the national forest land. Glad to see it's just an exclusivity thing with the tours. I do my own personal yellow Bronco tours, so it won't be a problem with me

I'd agree that an H3 is a better option than an H2. A lot of trails here in AZ are just too tight form something that large to easily go down. At the very least, you might end up with a lot of 'desert pin striping' which the rental co would probably not appreciate. Smaller is better on a lot of the trails out here.
I tried Broken Arrow on Sunday in an H3. What a ride! In some cases, you can't even see in front of the vehicle, the angle is so steep.

I was really impressed with the starting point next to the sign warning you not to off road in a "regular" vehicle and that if you do, "towing will be at your expense." One wonders how many Bozos ignore this every year figuring they can take the route in their Cadillacs.

Unfortunately, I had no idea where I was going without a paper map (the GPS had no map of the area) and there were lots of areas where a choice had to be made between two paths. We gave up after a while and turned back.

The rangers ask that if you take your own vehicle you start up at :30 so as not to come into contact with the Pink Jeeps which leave at :00.

Do you have any idea how I can get a map of Broken Arrow, if indeed one exists?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I tried Broken Arrow on Sunday in an H3. What a ride! In some cases, you can't even see in front of the vehicle, the angle is so steep.
You get over that after the first couple of hundred times! Always being in full control of the vehicle is overrated anyway

Probably the best source of maps and routes for all of AZ is Charles Wells - "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". I keep a well worn copy in the glovebox of the Bronco. If your still in Sedona, you might be able to find it locally. Here's a link on Amazon, so you can see what to look for http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Arizona-...e=UTF8&s=books

The Forest service office, local map shops, and even the pink jeep place might also have maps of broken arrow trail for sale as well.

I'm sure there's a guy who lives near that sign with one mean off-road tow truck that makes a killing in the fall and springtime!

You guys are having some fantastic weather this week - as are we up here in Flag. You picked a good week to come to AZ.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:54 pm

You get over that after the first couple of hundred times! Always being in full control of the vehicle is overrated anyway

Probably the best source of maps and routes for all of AZ is Charles Wells - "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". I keep a well worn copy in the glovebox of the Bronco. If your still in Sedona, you might be able to find it locally. Here's a link on Amazon, so you can see what to look for http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Arizona-...e=UTF8&s=books

The Forest service office, local map shops, and even the pink jeep place might also have maps of broken arrow trail for sale as well.

I'm sure there's a guy who lives near that sign with one mean off-road tow truck that makes a killing in the fall and springtime!

You guys are having some fantastic weather this week - as are we up here in Flag. You picked a good week to come to AZ.
Thank you very much. We only had last weekend to spare and we came back on Monday. We hope to return in the Spring.

I appreciate the book reference. Amazon.com also suggests buying "Backcountry Adventures: Arizona" http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Ad...266953-1206438. Do you know it or care for it?

We stayed in Scottsdale at the Four Seasons. It was magnificient. We went horseback riding in the Tonto (sp?) National Forest. Also terrific.

Arizona is really wonderful for visitors. This was my fourth time in 2006.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:52 am

Glad you had a good time. When we used to live in Mesa, our house was right on the border of the Tonto forest. There's a lot to see there.

The Coconino national forest up here isn't too shabby either though!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:57 pm

Question Sedona - cool places to stay and things to do.

My husband and I are heading to Sedona in early April. Anyone have suggesitons on cool places to stay - preferably a spa that doesn't cost a fortune. Also, is there anything we shoud be sure not to miss while we are there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.