Consolidated "Sedona AZ - questions, advice, recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Do one of the Pink Jeep tours.

mike
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Drive over to the old mining town of Jerome, about a half an hour away.

http://www.azjerome.com/

IMO, the best place to stay is Enchantment, but it is definitely on the expensive side.

http://enchantment.com/
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hi, michellehar, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

I can't help on the spas (though my parents really enjoyed their stay at Poco Diablo), but with regards to things to see and do in Sedona:

My Favorite Area Restaurants:
Javalina Cantina (hwy. 179, 2 miles east of the intersection w/ hwy. 89)
Oak Creek Brewing Company (Sedona - Talaqepaque)
Tavern Grille (Cottonwood - 20 minutes south)

Popular Parks:
Red Rock Crossing State Park
Slide Rock State Park
Fort Verde State Historic Park
Tuzigoot National Monument
Montezuma Castle National Monument

Interesting Attractions:
Verde Canyon Railroad
Pink Jeep Tours

Other Areas to Visit:
Flagstaff (45 minutes north)
Grand Canyon (1.5 hours north)
Prescott (1-1.5 hours south)

Recommendations for things to see would depend on how long you're staying, what your interests are, what you've already seen, etc. Feel free to post a reply or PM for more suggestions.

If you're renting a high-clearance vehicle, you can drive up Schnebly Hill Road - the same road many of the jeep tour companies go up - it's an amazing view and there are several places you could pull off and have a picnic or watch the sunset.

Have a great trip!

Sean
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
You might find my post on "Phoenix" worth a review, as we also discuss our plans in Sedona and surrounds. ranles
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:33 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I was at the Sedona airport yesterday for lunch. The service isn't the best, but the place was packed (nice views from the window tables). There are several aerial tour outfits based there and you might enjoy taking a flight. I saw one business offering open cockpit biplane rides.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
I highly recommend the sunset pink jeep tour. Also, a drive up Oak Creek Canyon is very nice. I'm not a big Jerome fan, but some people like it--be warned it is a very winding one lane (mostly) drive and if you are prone to carsickness (like one of my kids) it can be a a little tough.

The term "cheap" and Sedona don't mix well in April, high season. I like L'auberge (lauberge.com). One thing you may want to try, depending on how your tastes run is the Hyatt Pinion Pointe (http://hyattpinonpointe.hyatt.com/hy...els/index.jsp), where you may get a deal like 3 days for $180, but you have to listen to a 90 minute timeshare presentation.

Depending on your stamina, you may want to take a day and try thetrain.com to the Grand Canyon. It's 45 mins. west of Flagstaff and you can see the south rim in an afternoon--a good compromise, if you've never been.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:20 pm

My favorite (if you havent seen if before) of course is the Grand Canyon. Highway 89a between Sedona and Flagstaff is a nice way to get to Flagstaff and then on up to the Grand Canyon. Leave a little early so you can do a little hiking.

Oak Creek Canyon is a nice way to spend a couple of hours. You can hike for 2 miles or 17???? Slide Rock is wonderful.

If you are into ruins make sure you see Walnut Canyon. It is just outside Flagstaff.

The National Parks and State Parks are wonderful in this area. It seems you can go for miles or just do the short version and both are wonderful.

Sedona is beautiful in itself. Cathedral in the Rock?? Have fun..
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by michellehar
My husband and I are heading to Sedona in early April. Anyone have suggesitons on cool places to stay - preferably a spa that doesn't cost a fortune. Also, is there anything we shoud be sure not to miss while we are there?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Please search back to November and December for a thread here in which we discussed the Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona. While you can indeed take the Pink Jeeps, if you are a bit more adventurous like me, you might want to drive yourself. This will require renting an off-road vehicle such as a Land Rover LR3 or a Hummer H3 (NOT the H2, which the Forest Service considers too wide).

Last edited by Landing Gear; Apr 3, 2007 at 5:26 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:23 pm

Sedona Restaurant recommendations

I will be going to Sedona for 2 weeks in March.. any restaurant suggestions. We tend to eat out for lunch mostly and a few dinners. On a budget and love interesting and non touristy places.. Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Don't go up there all that often despite living less than an hour away, but when I do go, I like the following:

Javalina Cantina - good Mexican (unique-tasting fajitas). Service can be hit or miss. Overpriced, but probably normal for Sedona.

Oak Creek Brewing Company - nice variety of food, great beer. Nice location.

Tavern Grille - Located in old town Cottonwood, about 25 minutes from Sedona. Nice variety, reasonably priced.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
For fine dining, L'auberge is the place. Their wine list is about 30 pages long and the food is fabulous!! A bit pricey, but well worth if for a splurge. Try to visit on a Sat or sun for an early dinner and get seated outside, next to oak creek.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
Two non-touristy places I have enjoyed are Thai Spices and Takashi Sushi. Both were reasonable priced.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The Coffeepot 101 (across from the Harkins on 89A) serves terrific breakfast.

The Alien Cafe (also on the 89A) (aka The Red Planet Cafe) is a nifty fifties dinner with a UFO theme and terrific burgers.

Last edited by Wilbur; Feb 14, 2008 at 11:57 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver
The Cowboy Club is another good restaurant. (http://www.cowboyclub.com)

This is right across the street from the "Pink Jeeps".
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by vysean
Overpriced, but probably normal for Sedona.
Isn't that true of a number of things?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.