FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   West (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west-456/)
-   -   Consolidated "Sedona AZ - questions, advice, recommendations" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/303128-consolidated-sedona-az-questions-advice-recommendations-thread.html)

youngflya Dec 25, 2002 12:14 am

Consolidated "Sedona AZ - questions, advice, recommendations" thread

Hi,

I haven't visited these boards in a while, but I hope to get some good responses.

My family is taking a last minute road trip to Sedona this wknd and I am in charge of the activities. I have done some searches on these boards and know that Sedona has been mentioned here and there, but would like to pick your brain as to specific things/places to do, see and stay. Sedona.net is pretty much the only website I have looked at so far and I would appreciate any further insight.

I'm looking to spend btwn $80-110 for a hotel room per night. Any suggestions as to decent places to stay. I am not concerned with brand or accuring points? Someone recommended that I stay in Flagstaff instead of Sedona - does anyone have a comment on that?

Thanks in advance

ldsant Dec 25, 2002 12:58 am

Sedona is very expensive if you're staying in Sedona itself. But you can stay right outside for about $100 per night (not sure with the holidays, but it should be doable).

Two of the best things I've done in Sedona are the helicopter ride (right into the canyons!) and the jeep tour at sunset.

Hiking is amazing just make sure you bring your water bottle with you. Have a good time.

TransWorldOne Dec 25, 2002 8:14 pm

This doesn't help you now, but someone just got a great deal on a week's stay in Sedona on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1943439027

As for where to stay, you're better off staying in Sedona if it meets your budget. Flagstaff is a nice town, but there isn't as much to do there.

priceline.com could probably come in under your budget for a hotel room in Sedona...

http://pub109.ezboard.com/fpriceline...abiddingfrm119

j379pa Dec 29, 2002 9:28 pm

I just drove through Sedona this afternoon--pretty busy! If you can't find what you want there, try the village of Oak Creek next, which is adjacent to Sedona. For something different, stay in Jerome, about 1/2 hour up the mountain. It's a funky old mining town, with several old hotels & B&B's. Flagstaff could work, but is about a 45 minute drive. Do the drive via Oak Creek Canyon (Rt 89A, I think), and you get some sight seeing in at the same time. There are also a number of small lodges/cabins along Oak Creek Canyon.

Hilton has branded properties in Sedona, Oak Creek & Flag. I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Flag and it was ok.

Having just completed a driving tour of our wonderful state with a friend, this is a fairly busy time. Good luck!

JP

BellaG Apr 2, 2005 6:23 am

Consider visiting Sedona, AZ!

If you ever happen to go to Arizona or the Grand Canyon, consider visiting Sedona! It's America's Most Beautiful Destinations, according to USA Today.

JerryFF Apr 2, 2005 9:17 am

I agree. It's hard to believe this place wasn't made into a national park. And while you're there, take a short side trip to the old mining town of Jerome.

ExtrAAordinaire Apr 2, 2005 4:23 pm

The surroundings are beautiful, but the town itself is very touristy.

KevAZ Apr 11, 2005 1:05 pm

If you visit, consider lunch at Oaxaca - excellent truly Mexican fare.

SEA2BA Jun 6, 2006 5:27 pm

Other restaurant recommendations?

Going there for a 4-day weekend next month. Planning on the Pink Jeep Tour followed by three days of golf. Staying at the Hilton.

Best restaurant recommendations? Anything else to do in town?

Thanks,
SEA2BA

number_6 Jun 6, 2006 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by SEA2BA
Other restaurant recommendations?...

Lots of average restaurants, nothing outstanding (this is not Carmel despite all the touristy shops and art galleries). Wildflower Bread Company (in the mall by the Hyatt) has excellent sandwiches and salads (better than they sound). Generally the more expensive the restaurant, the more it disappoints in Sedona. Stick to the cheap places and you will find the best. The scenery is stunning.

faithng Jun 6, 2006 7:00 pm

We will be at the Hilton in July. My guess is that I'll probably be roasting
away as we sit by the pool.
Any other restaurant recommendations - nothing pricey as we will be
paying for the hotel stay and we will be toting around 3 kids.
We plan to visit Montezuma Castle National Monument and Tuzigoot NM
if it's not too far.
It was the late 80's when I last visited Jerome. Is it touristy and is
it worth it for kids, and how far from Sedona?

dhammer53 Jun 6, 2006 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by BellaG
If you ever happen to go to Arizona or the Grand Canyon, consider visiting Sedona! It's America's Most Beautiful Destinations, according to USA Today.

We drove up from Scottsdale a few years ago. You exit the interstate, then take the back roads in to Sedona. As you drive the road, you don't see a dam thing. You wonder what the heck folks are talking about. Then, as if by magic, you head around a bend (IIRC), and there it is (not going to say what). :D

Have your camera ready. Sedona is awesome.
Don't forget to bring your bathing suit to (?) can't remember the name. It's a natural water slide over the rocks just outside of town.

AZ_MISMAN Jun 7, 2006 9:26 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
We drove up from Scottsdale a few years ago. You exit the interstate, then take the back roads in to Sedona. As you drive the road, you don't see a dam thing. You wonder what the heck folks are talking about. Then, as if by magic, you head around a bend (IIRC), and there it is (not going to say what). :D

Have your camera ready. Sedona is awesome.
Don't forget to bring your bathing suit to (?) can't remember the name. It's a natural water slide over the rocks just outside of town.

It's Slide Rock.

Bogey90 Jun 11, 2006 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by BellaG
If you ever happen to go to Arizona or the Grand Canyon, consider visiting Sedona!

There is lots of great scenery in the desert southwest, but Sedona is worth a bit of a drive.

AZ_MISMAN Jun 21, 2006 9:14 am

...BUT NOT RIGHT NOW.

The Brins Fire is burning in Oak Creek Canyon, which is in the Sedona area. Last map I saw put it quite close to Slide Rock.

As a survivor of the Rodeo-Chedeski fire, I can tell you that, regardless of what the Sedona CofC tells you, you don't want to be in the area. Though the fire will probably not spread into the red rock area, the smoke is very thick; the air quality is considered unhealthful according to reports. Please visit after the fire is out; though Sedona is not my favorite place in Arizona, it is beautiful.