Wiki Posts
Search

Phoenix Hotel with Pool for Swimming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2023, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
Phoenix Hotel with Pool for Swimming

I'm going to be spending a good amount of time in the PHX area over the coming months, and I'm looking for a place to stay that has a pool that I can actually swim in. It's fine to have a free-form, splashy, thing to cool down in, but if I wanted to swim laps and get some actual exercise, which hotels can do that?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 3:07 pm

What area of town? I can think of several, but traffic being what it is, I'd like to tailor the recommendation a bit.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:58 am
Original Poster

By Phoenix Country Club?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:39 pm

Depending on price point- The Arizona Biltmore. It has 7 pools, 8 if you count the spa's cold plunge one, and there's generally one you can swim in without too much fuss. The Embassy Suites Biltmore has a decent pool that is pretty good sized and they don't have slides or do pool parties or dive in movies and what not. The Sonder at Hance Park might also be a good option- it's an apartment style hotel and isn't very hipster. I'd avoid most of the downtown Scottsdale hotels, as they often have parties and DJ's and whatnot, not really conducive to exercise. The Biltmore area has a fair number of business-y hotels that would likely suit if none of those are suitable.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:07 am

You're welcome!
Old Jul 28, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Not near the Biltmore area but I'll throw out Arizona Grand Resort as having an actual lap pool.

Further away still but if you get bored with the Biltmore area and want to try something new, I'd suggest Crowne Plaza San Marcos in downtown Chandler. Nice walkable area with lots of restaurants and what not.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think the JW Marriott Camelback in has a long pool in the spa area ( also the more general pool that may not be suitable for laps due to the number of people

The 2 pointe hiltons have a number of pools ( 1 in each was designated an adult pool but has been a few years since i have been there)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I think the JW Marriott Camelback in has a long pool in the spa area ( also the more general pool that may not be suitable for laps due to the number of people
Yes, good call, it has lane lines too.

Scottsdale also has several excellent public acquatic facilities.

All the valley pools will be super warm right now. Temp is barely dropping below 90 at night.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The pools will all be nicely warmed for your arrival, that is for sure.

I confirm that the Westin Kierland has a pool with two lap lanes, and so does the Camelback Inn.

I also think that the Montelucia and the Biltmore have a couple of pools with the right sort of shape and size to swim laps, although they lack the lines.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've been in some of these hotel and spa pools, and the water is way too warm for more than some very casual swimming. Even in the winter, they heat the water more for casual swimming and not really for lap swimming.

If you have a car, you'd be much better off finding a proper lap pool--and possibly a masters team--nearby. The main pool at ASU has a chilling system to keep the water cool. Other pools use aerators; it is a pump that sucks up water and shoots it out. If run overnight, they can cool the water quite a bit.
Off the top of my mind, I'd recommend Cactus Pool in Scottsdale, one of the best in the area. Eldorado is closer to Old Town Scottsdale, but is only 25 yards (but a bunch of lanes). You can do a day pass for either of those, or if you'll be in the area for a while and like the pool, they have longer-term options.

The Phoenix Swim Club uses a pool here:
3901 E. Stanford Drive
Paradise Valley, AZ 85253
More info on their website: https://www.teamunify.com/team/azbest/page/psc-masters

When I lived in AZ, I mostly lived in Chandler, and swam at Hamilton Pool there quite a bit (but that would be far for you).
Wilbur and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I can confirm all that AZTimm mentions above as correct.

For the Cactus Pool, see: City of Scottsdale - Cactus Aquatic & Fitness Center (scottsdaleaz.gov)

For El Dorado, see: City of Scottsdale - Eldorado Aquatic & Fitness Center (scottsdaleaz.gov)

Eldo may have more times available for lap swimming by people off the street, as Cactus has a lot of time devoted to swim and dive club action all week long.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Wilbur

For El Dorado, see: City of Scottsdale - Eldorado Aquatic & Fitness Center (scottsdaleaz.gov)

Eldo may have more times available for lap swimming by people off the street, as Cactus has a lot of time devoted to swim and dive club action all week long.
Exactly. Eldorado was one of my hidden gem pools when I lived there. Very generous hours, not too much for a drop-in fee, and swimming outside in winter is simply amazing!

I last swam there back in April 2019. Was in town for a big open water swim event and US Masters nationals in Mesa. Rather than deal with the mosh-pit warm-up situation at the meet, I did my warm-up at Eldorado, then drove over to Mesa.
I've almost always had my own lane when I've swum at Eldorado too; the few times I've shared were mostly when I was there with someone I knew and we consolidated to let others get their own lanes when it got busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.