Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

3 days in January in Phoenix area (or warmer)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 days in January in Phoenix area (or warmer)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Warm place in January? San Diego, CA comes to mind!
Old Jul 6, 2023, 9:10 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I spent 4 days in San Diego in January a few years ago and it rained the whole time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by kale73
HNL and SJU come to mind. While usually mild, Phoenix and Tucson can be cold (although usually above freezing) in January.
Exactly. I lived in Arizona for 20 years, and my memories of January are mostly cold. Most of that time was in the Phoenix area. While it could be warm, I remember quite a few cold snaps, with overnight temps down around 20F, daytime high about 35-40F. Of course the week after (or even a few days after) it could easily be 70F during the day and 45F overnight. It really depends how things fall for your trip.

I lived in Tucson for a year, and it was definitely cooler there, with more rain and snow. Not enough snow that you need to shovel or anything, but enough to make roads slick in the morning.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by aztimm
Exactly. I lived in Arizona for 20 years, and my memories of January are mostly cold. Most of that time was in the Phoenix area. While it could be warm, I remember quite a few cold snaps, with overnight temps down around 20F, daytime high about 35-40F. Of course the week after (or even a few days after) it could easily be 70F during the day and 45F overnight. It really depends how things fall for your trip.

I lived in Tucson for a year, and it was definitely cooler there, with more rain and snow. Not enough snow that you need to shovel or anything, but enough to make roads slick in the morning.
Originally Posted by kale73
HNL and SJU come to mind. While usually mild, Phoenix and Tucson can be cold (although usually above freezing) in January.
Even into February, Phoenix and outlying areas can get very very cold overnight. Remember a couple of years ago the start of the Phoenix Open was delayed because there was frost on the greens?
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Even into February, Phoenix and outlying areas can get very very cold overnight.
It's fun in February to drive down to The Valley and watch the Phoenicians sporting their winter coats on a sunny 70°F afternoon.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 3:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Even into February, Phoenix and outlying areas can get very very cold overnight. Remember a couple of years ago the start of the Phoenix Open was delayed because there was frost on the greens?
My Mom visited from Pennsylvania one year in February. She brought mostly summer/warm clothes, and just a few winter/heavy things (from her travel out and back). Of course that was when we had near record cold, and she did laundry a few times so she had something to wear (I did let her use sweatshirts). I had pre-booked a jeep tour in Sedona, and we were the only people on it (yes, no top, and very very cold for me in the back, she sat up front next to the driver). Right after she left the temps went back to normal.
Another year when she visited, high temps were near 80F. So you just never really know.

So what I'd say to the OP... Generally it is nice in the Phoenix and Tucson areas in January. But there are exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.