Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

3 days in January in Phoenix area (or warmer)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2023, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold

Looking for a place to enjoy a warm weather stay in Phoenix area (or south) in January. Have time between two events, traveling from the frozen north and want to enjoy warm, maybe a nice hot tub.
Looked at Castle Hot Springs but the checkin/checkout dates they require don't align with our dates. Biltmore? Or a nice B and B with hot ub near Tuscon?
I am overwhelmed with chocies but none of them blow me away. We have been to Sedona and could go back but thinking it might not be warm in January?

First step is to narrow this down bit
TIA
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Sedona in January ( being 4000ft or so above sea level )has average highs of 56 and av lows of 31 so might be a bit cool

Phoenix is warmer with highs of 69 and lows of 46

It is nice during the day but can be cool at night

Regards

TBS
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://www.hiltonelconquistador.com/
aj411 and aztimm like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Four Seasons Troon and Sanctuary are IMO the best major resorts in the Phoenix area (but obviously very different experience from Castle Hot Springs). Camelback Inn is also nice.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Beautiful views of the Catalinas, but the property itself is kind of a dump. Tucson will be cooler than Phoenix due to the altitude.
aj411 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! These are some good places to start.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by aj411
Looking for a place to enjoy a warm weather stay in Phoenix area (or south) in January. Have time between two events, traveling from the frozen north and want to enjoy warm, maybe a nice hot tub.
Looked at Castle Hot Springs but the checkin/checkout dates they require don't align with our dates. Biltmore? Or a nice B and B with hot ub near Tuscon?
I am overwhelmed with chocies but none of them blow me away. We have been to Sedona and could go back but thinking it might not be warm in January?

First step is to narrow this down bit
TIA
You're right, Sedona is much cooler than Phoenix during winter. The scenery is amazing! Would you consider going to Saguaro National Park? Temperatures can get up to the late 60s in January. If you're looking for something a little different, Saguaro is a beautiful destination. You'll need some strong hiking shoes though!
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Beautiful views of the Catalinas, but the property itself is kind of a dump. Tucson will be cooler than Phoenix due to the altitude.
The casitas are wonderful. Didn't find the place dumpy at all.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The "casita" (and I use that word only because it's what the hotel calls them, not because they are actually individual casitas) we were assigned last year looked straight at a dirt wall. This was as a Diamond on a full cash rate. No natural light, decor was mid-70s and tired. We moved to a room on the top floor in the main building where the floors were uneven and flexed when you walked on them. Same mid-70s decor.

The property is in need of a complete renovation IMO (but unlikely to happen because the demand and rates just aren't there).
Old Jul 3, 2023, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

what were your favorite parts? Why you recommend?

Originally Posted by sailingdave
You're right, Sedona is much cooler than Phoenix during winter. The scenery is amazing! Would you consider going to Saguaro National Park? Temperatures can get up to the late 60s in January. If you're looking for something a little different, Saguaro is a beautiful destination. You'll need some strong hiking shoes though!
I started looking in that area. Love hiking. As long as I have a hot tub at the end of the day 😁

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 3, 2023 at 7:44 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 3, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
The Wigwam in Litchfield Park should be complete with their extensive renovation. Not as much to do out that way without spring training games taking place but might be worth a look.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/h...e-renovation-0

https://www.wigwamarizona.com/our-resort/renovations
Old Jul 4, 2023, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
The Wigwam in Litchfield Park should be complete with their extensive renovation. Not as much to do out that way without spring training games taking place but might be worth a look.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/h...e-renovation-0

https://www.wigwamarizona.com/our-resort/renovations

Never even thought of looking there. Interesting.

Overall, I will be on my feet for several days before this getaway and several afterwards. Relaxing, a it of hiking adn a hot tub or hot springs are looking pretty good the longer I look.
For that time of year, a fireplace wouldnt hurt.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
what were your favorite parts? Why you recommend?

I started looking in that area. Love hiking. As long as I have a hot tub at the end of the day 😁
saguro has 2 pieces on opposite sides of Tucson. Tucson is an option as well to stsy
aj411 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Never even thought of looking there. Interesting.

Overall, I will be on my feet for several days before this getaway and several afterwards. Relaxing, a it of hiking adn a hot tub or hot springs are looking pretty good the longer I look.
For that time of year, a fireplace wouldnt hurt.
other options are SoCal and Palm Springs
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: UA silver; Wyndham platinum; OneKey platinum; Choice Gold
If you love hiking, I'll second/third others in recommending Saguaro National Park near Tucson. Although Saguaro Cacti are not rare (you can see them growing in people's gardens in Phoenix) it's very impressive to walk though a "forest" of thousands of larger specimens. Saguaro National Park is, I think, the best place to do that (at least in the US).

It's more convenient to stay in Tucson but it's possible to stay in Phoenix and make it to the National Park as a day trip. It's roughly a 2 hour drive between Phoenix Airport and the Visitor Center on the West side of Saguaro National Park if traffic is OK. The East side of Saguaro NP is a bit further to drive but has the advantage that there's a paved loop road to the major trailheads and scenic views. On the West side, the best (IMO) trailhead for an all-day hike is up an unpaved road that I don't feel comfortable driving in an ordinary passenger car (although some people do it) so I try to rent an SUV if I go there.
aj411 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
other options are SoCal and Palm Springs
HNL and SJU come to mind. While usually mild, Phoenix and Tucson can be cold (although usually above freezing) in January.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.