Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Park City, Utah" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Park City, Utah" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:53 pm

Just to add, this route is going to be operated with UTA's nice and new Express busses (extra leg room, free wifi). And it's only $5.50 each way from SLC to PC?!?

Skiing aint a cheap hobby so we'll take a deal like this whenever. I am a local and not to toot our own horn, but Utah is by far the best bang for your buck when it comes to skiing. I mean from the ammenities, service, and convenience you get, not to mention the best snow anywhere, its the greatest. I am fortunate to have it all practically in my back yard.

I got my season pass to Solitude this year and will be frequenting the Cottonwood Canyon busses, but I will definitely use this route as well when I go up to PC. Parking in PC can be quite a hassle in the winter, so this is more economical and convenient.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:07 am

I believe that SLC has to be the most ski friendly location in America. All the flights....then make your way over to Park City via transportation from a number of sources to find Hyatt, St. Regis, and IHG properties based there.

I praise any efforts to help tourists avoid driving Utah roads. I wouldn't suggest staying in SLC and taking I-80 to PC on a daily basis (not a vacation at all if you have to make that trek, especially in bad weather), but this is a great way to lower costs of getting individuals to PC.

I still like to think of Snowbird/Alta/Brighton/Solitude as the locals resorts. If you want to do all that driving, go ahead, but the reality is Park City was designed for you, not the Wasatch Front.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:46 am

Park City Help

First time headed to Park City and need some help/advice. My gf and I are planning on going in late Feb. or early March and using Hilton points to stay at the Waldorf Park City. Both of us are intermediate skiers, blues and occasional blacks, and we like going out at night for dinner/nightlife. So here are my questions...
First, which mountains are the best for skiing? There looks to be quite a few to chose from, and do you have to buy separate life tickets for each mountain or is there an all for one lift ticket? The Waldorf looks to be at the base of Canyons. Is Canyons a quality ski resort or should I plan on skiing Park City, Deer Valley?

Second, How far away is the action, i.e. dinner and nightlife, from the Waldorf? We will probably head out each night we're there for dinner and drinks afterwards so any suggestions would be awesome.

Third, is it worth renting a car? I figure there are shuttles that run to/from the hotels, mountains and nightlife? Shuttle from airport? Trying to way the cost of paying for a car and parking for a week, or just paying for ride to/from the airport and then just using the shuttles while we're there.

Also, if anyone know any special rates or codes for lift tickets or ski rentals that would be great.
First post so hopefully this is in the right place. Thanks for any help and recs you can give me.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:31 am

I hope I can answer some questions.

First, depending on what kind of terrain and snow conditions you like, I would recommend different places to ski. If you are staying at the Canyons/Park City area, the Canyons is a great resort to ski at and offers more skiable terrain than any other Utah resort. Should you choose to ski at more than one resort, you will need to purchase lift tickets separately. You can get discounted tickets from local ski rental shops, and it's even better look in the SLC area (look up Canyon Sports in SLC for example).

There are plenty of amenities at The Canyons, but I definitely recommend going to Main Street Park City (5-10 minutes from the Canyons) if you want more nightlife.

If you have the means, I would also recommend renting a car. There are plenty of shuttle services and even public transit to/from SLC should you choose that route, but having your own car would be most convenient.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:48 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
There are at least 4-5 shuttle services that will take you to your doorstep/hotel entrance from SLC. Free shuttles run from the canyons up to Deer Valley. There is a separate thread on this forum about UTA running wi-fi equiopped busses from SLC to Park City for $5.50 one way. I would guess a car rental to be an unneccessary expense. From what I read of your skiing abilities, you would be fine w/those 3 resorts, but no way is the Canyons the most reliable of ALL resorts in Utah. It may have the most varied- largest skiable, but certainly not the most snow. Just on the other side of the PC/DV lies Alta/Snowbird-Solitude/Brighton with far more snow. With your abilities u might stay away from Snowbird but these are fantastic resorts, and remember Deer Valley and Alta are for skiers only. There is a Hertz located in the Marriott in PC if u wanted to rent a car for a day or 2 and try out those 4 or even Sundance. You cannot buy discounted tkts for those 3(Canyons/PC/DV) while in PC, but down in SLC/suburbs, yes. If u r flying in AM, skiutah.com last year had a program where u would get a free lift tkt after showing up w/brding pass from flight earlier that day. You have to sign up for it. Beyond that, if u want to try craigslist for SLC, u might find some discounted lift tkts. The prices in ski shops are :67$ Canyons/74$Park City/88$DValley. A 2-day tkt @PC/Canyons runs $136. Park City is a great town to tour during your "off" day, easily walkable.

Last edited by rustyr; Dec 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm Reason: addtn'l info
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond WN CP MR Gold
We stayed at Waldorf for March spring break. Although the WA has shuttles to go around town, we liked the flexibility of our rental car. The main street part of town is about 10 minutes away. We skiied both Canyons and PC and enjoyed both of them. You will find a variety of terrain at all 3 PC ski resorts and I would definately recommend skiing atleast 2 of the 3. WA is down the road from the Canyons village that has some nightlife. Enjoy your stay. It's a very nice property.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:57 am

Thanks for the advice. Any dining recs and must goto spots? Anything from casual to fine dining
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by ladan05
Thanks for the advice. Any dining recs and must goto spots? Anything from casual to fine dining
Robert Redford's restaurant, Zoom, right on main street, is fun & a scene.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
You’ve gotten good advice, I’ll just add a few comments. Although Alta and Snowbird get more snow than Park City’s 3 resorts there is very little at the base of the Alta and Snowbird, a few hotels/lodges for each, so little nightlife and minimal dining options. When I’m at the base of a mountain it takes something special to get me to want to travel elsewhere by bus. I prefer Canyons to Park City so I wouldn’t go to Park City (to ski, do go for dinner) when I’m at the base of the Canyons, the difference in skiing is minimal. I would go for one day to check out Deer Valley which is sufficiently different to justify the 10 minute bus ride. Deer Valley caters to a very “upscale” crowd, no boarders, people to carry your skis the 50 yards from the car/bus to the lift areas, more upscale on mountain dining. It’s not for everyone on a regular basis but it is worth trying once.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:06 am

FYI, just found out about utah's quick start program. You can get a free lift ticket the day you fly by registering with quick start and bringing a copy of your boarding pass to one of the following mountains, park city, canyons, and deer valley.

http://www.visitparkcity.com/visitor...s/quick-start/
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
My wife and I are PC bound in the fall. Any suggestions on activities and things to do. Keep in mind, we'll be there before ski season.

We enjoy hiking and driving to beautiful places.

dh
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by dhammer53
My wife and I are PC bound in the fall. Any suggestions on activities and things to do. Keep in mind, we'll be there before ski season.

dh
fall is varied....when specifically.

You may be there when peak fall colors are out (late Spt/early october) or you may have missed it. Or are you talking about early December where there may be some snow to play on?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by djp98374
fall is varied....when specifically.
Mid October.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53

dh
A drive through the Uinta Mountains (aka the Wasatch-Cache National Forest) would be gorgeous. The town of Kamas is about 20 minutes from PC and you can access Hwy 50/Mirror Lake Highway from there. Plenty of hiking trails.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:35 pm

I have to say that as a mostly intermediate skiier, I always found The Canyons... weird. it was like I could never quite get where I wanted to go or I ended up skiing an area over and over. Park City was not that way. Now that canyons lift ticket prices are expensive too, I would rather look for deals at Deer Valley or Park City if I was going to ski the Park City area. Alta is my fave...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.