Consolidated "Park City, Utah" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Park City, Utah" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Park City, UTAH :: Where to Stay?

I have a business meeting in Park City coming up. Arriving on a Thursday evening in SLC leaving on Saturday afternoon, mid November. We're renting a car.

Where would you recommend us staying 2 nights in Park City?

I looked at the Marriott which looks decent, while not on the main street I think. There is also a Hilton which is ok priced. Or is there another hotel that you would recommend?

Also what is there to see and do in Park City, I see its a sky resort town. Are there any good restaurants/bars etc.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Park City is a ski resort town so the town has shops and restaurants. The town also is popular in the summer through fall color change. When you are there its in that in between season where , depending on the weather, the skiing may not be open or very limited to only part of the mountain. Ski season generally starts arounf Thanksgiving, but even then if the weather doesnt cooperate you may not have skiing. Some places may be closed because the time you are traveling is something like a low season or off season. The hotel rates you can find are likely going to be cheaper than if this was mid February.

There are a couple of Marriotts IIRC. If you are looking to maintain your status since you have a meeting, if you are the coordinator of it you can reserve a meeting room and get 10 nights credit.

As far as restaurants there are decent ones in Park City and since you are renting a car you can travel over to the other near by ski towns.

http://www.visitparkcity.com/visitors/restaurants/

Ill let others comment on restaurants since its been a few years since I have been there.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
Park City ski rentals

I'm planning a work/ski/movie trip to Park City to catch some of the Sundance festival and the slopes in January. I'm a little familiar with Salt Lake City and Provo (where my company is based), but have never been up to the mountains.

I'm trying to decide if I should rent skis in SF where I can get them for the week for $60 and fly them out (free with my status), or rent in Salt Lake. I figure Park City will be more expensive, than Salt Lake, but if it's not too much, I prefer to convenience of not having to lug them around and drop them off before heading the airport.

Does anyone have advice for renting in Salt Lake City or Park City?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:27 pm

The $60 may not be beatable so you should definitely shop around and decide on how much the convenience of not having to lug them around is worth to you.

You are right, in most cases the resorts will be much more expensive but don't ignore them, they are constantly running specials and the prices can vary from week to week.

In general though prices are indeed lower in the city, there are two major ski rental companies right downtown SLC that are well established with a good reputation, they are just blocks from each other.

http://www.utahskigolf.com/
http://www.canyonsports.com/
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
Generally most ski rental shops charge around $25/day in SLC. REI has good quality ski rentals and the store is pretty convenient to either Park City or the Little/Big Cottonwood resorts. You'll have to give them a call to get rates - and they're cheaper if you're a member, but they can be very reasonable for multi-day rentals especially. Sports Authority also rents ski packages, but I'm not sure about the quality or condition. I usually end up taking visitors to http://www.thelifthouse.com/ or http://powderhouseskishop.com/locati...h-powder-house because they're on the way to the resorts and the prices are reasonable. Ski shops are generally the best place to buy lift tickets as well if you haven't prepurchased - check liftopia.com for deals if you have a good idea of which days you want to ski where. And don't bother skiing in Park City- it's like going to Tahoe and skiing at Donner.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:54 am
Original Member

Agree with reco of Powder House. Have rented there and been quite pleased with equipment.

Also agree on Park City. I prefer groomed slopes, so Deer Valley is my top, and I like Canyons too (not as crowded as PC).
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have a late night arriving flight, and noticed that most ski rental shops do not open until 11 AM. . . is it possible to have skis delivered to my hotel to pick up when I arrive?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:30 pm

feedback on Park City please!

OP here. Decided to do Park City the MLK weekend primarily because of air fares and point stay availability.
I was hoping to do a day of skiing with lessons near Tokyo or Seattle as warm-up prior to Park City, but alas that didn't work out due to lack of snow.
So Park City will be our first skiing of the season, and I've never skiied there. Decided to pass on ski school there, because it's just too expensive and we're only there for 2 days.

The morning of the first day, I'd like us to really take it easy and start out with easier blues (wide, not too steep).
Which lift/area would be good to focus on for good easier blues without heavy crowd / lift queues?
King Con, Silverlode, Bonanza, Pioneer and Payday all look like potential candidates based on the trail map.

Also, is Gotcha Cutoff the only way to get down to the main base from King Con area without going through Diamond? Or is there another way that does not involve black runs or cat track?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
If you haven't bought lift tickets already, you may want to look at Deer Valley's trail map. My FIL, aka "Grandpa Green Circles" preferred the green trails at Deer Valley to Park City / Canyons.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by AMflier
If you haven't bought lift tickets already, you may want to look at Deer Valley's trail map. My FIL, aka "Grandpa Green Circles" preferred the green trails at Deer Valley to Park City / Canyons.
I've actually already bought lift passes, so would have to go to Park City / Canyons.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Re: Sundance Film Festival -
If you are a skier it is a mixed bag. Slopes were empty but Sundance has turned the area into a logistical (transportation/hotel/eating), expensive nightmare. Personally, I’d avoid this time.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:48 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xooz
I have to say that as a mostly intermediate skiier, I always found The Canyons... weird. it was like I could never quite get where I wanted to go or I ended up skiing an area over and over. Park City was not that way. Now that canyons lift ticket prices are expensive too, I would rather look for deals at Deer Valley or Park City if I was going to ski the Park City area. Alta is my fave...
Canyons nvr impressed me when it was alone. Yes a large area, but as one skier remarked to me last week, it seems you are always on catwalks to get from one area to another. Too low a base= lower snow totals and less vertical. Since merging w/pc and now part of vail/epic pass if you want to buy it, I suppose if you are out therr or a week its worth a try. I'd rather go down to Alta/Bird or up to Snowbasin. Just for info, if going to Solitude, they charge 20$ for parking.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by rustyr
Canyons nvr impressed me when it was alone. Yes a large area, but as one skier remarked to me last week, it seems you are always on catwalks to get from one area to another. Too low a base= lower snow totals and less vertical. Since merging w/pc and now part of vail/epic pass if you want to buy it, I suppose if you are out therr or a week its worth a try. I'd rather go down to Alta/Bird or up to Snowbasin. Just for info, if going to Solitude, they charge 20$ for parking.
I understand what you mean with regards to Canyons' layout. However, I still really love it. I've skiied 4 full days at PC in the last few weeks, doing 90% blue and occasional green & black here and there (not good enough to try most black diamond with moguls). The first 3 days we split our time between PC and Canyons. The 4th day, I felt we had exhausted everything that PC had offered blue-wise, but Canyons just has so much terrain and variability with shorter lift lines that we never got tired of it.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Where is the best place for beginners in the Park City area? Kids will be skiing/snowboarding for only their second time.
Looking for logistic ease as well as easier slopes. I suspect my son will graduate to more challenging slopes, but my daughter may not.
Also, looking at which may be less crowded.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:34 am

Many moons ago, we would take our kids to Brighton. Plenty of easy terrain and less expensive lift tickets. If you are staying in Park City that is a rather lengthy drive however. I started skiing at Brighton in the 80s when the only toilets were porta-potties, so my info is extremely dated.

Last edited by xooz; Mar 10, 2021 at 8:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.