Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

ABQ-Grand Canyon-LAS road trip...too much for 8 days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!

I'd like to take my parents (80's) to the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque in October and spend a couple of days there. From there was thinking of driving and spending a couple nights at the Grand Canyon....and I hear the North Rim is the place to be. Hopefully a couple nights there and on to Las Vegas for another couple of nights. That's 6 nights accounted for and I'm figuring we may need to make a stop on the road somewhere in between the "destinations."
Does anyone have experience with this type of schedule and could advise whether it's too optimistic a plan? Are there problems with snow on these routes in mid-October? Any suggestions, comments, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sign of the Times?

In the last fortnight, I've read about folks considering taking AMTRAK Left Coast to Right Coast and back with kids and an unspecified demographic that wants to drive from BOS-Yellowstone and back. OP's idea seems equally "impractical".

Has US air travel become too expensive, too hassle ridden...?

Does time have no value?

Don't people know the true cost to operate their automobiles?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
First, enjoy Balloon Fiesta. Make sure that, on the days you want to arrive, you get there about 5:00 a.m. (earlier to avoid the bulk of the traffic.) It gets really congested.

ABQ to the North Rim is about 9-hour drive, but the North Rim officially closes on 10/15; you'll be cutting it close. Between Flagstaff and the North Rim, there are not many services, so make sure you fill up in Flagstaff. I'd suggest a night in Flagstaff just to break up the trip. (Holbrook or Winslow, AZ, an hour east of Flagstaff may be cheaper for lodging...)

North Rim to Las Vegas is about 5 hours (going via St. George, UT.)
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
In the last fortnight, I've read about folks considering taking AMTRAK Left Coast to Right Coast and back with kids and an unspecified demographic that wants to drive from BOS-Yellowstone and back. OP's idea seems equally "impractical".

Has US air travel become too expensive, too hassle ridden...?

Does time have no value?

Don't people know the true cost to operate their automobiles?
Actually, I just enjoy the "away" time. In the past year, I've done all of my vacations driving... up to Cheyenne, WY, over to the Black Hills of SD, down to Nebraska, and back home. 8-hours up and 10-days back. Will be doing something similar this year through Utah, and to Kansas City, MO.

Yes, air travel is hassel ridden, and I have the time to spare. I also know the "true cost" to operate my auto, but want a more relaxed mode of transportation. To each his own, I guess.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts. I love to travel by air but there are some things you miss along the way. This trip does have its problems, however. I've found you must reserve about 13 months in advance for a room at the lodge on the north rim. Also, the drop off charge for renting a car and dropping it at another location is pretty expensive. I may need to make some modifications.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dalm
I've found you must reserve about 13 months in advance for a room at the lodge on the north rim.
Really? I just booked a cabin for this September with no problems.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:32 am
Original Poster

You were lucky. I had them check from September 20 through October 15 and the agent said there was no availability....though I could call periodically in case there was a cancellation.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dalm
Thank you for your thoughts. I love to travel by air but there are some things you miss along the way. This trip does have its problems, however. I've found you must reserve about 13 months in advance for a room at the lodge on the north rim. Also, the drop off charge for renting a car and dropping it at another location is pretty expensive. I may need to make some modifications.
Check Jacob Lake to see if they have anything. (I honestly can't remember what is there, but it would be worth checking.)
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
In the past year, I've done all of my vacations driving... .

With 2 octogenarians in tow??
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:32 am
Original Poster

AZ_MISMAN - thanks for the driving times. I think they're quite do-able.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
With 2 octogenarians in tow??
almost as bad... a wife with fibromyalgia
Old May 7, 2010, 10:17 am

Black Mold

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Check Jacob Lake to see if they have anything. (I honestly can't remember what is there, but it would be worth checking.)
Don't stay in Jacob Lake. Last time I spent a night there the rooms were awful and there was black mold in the room. I suggest googling "private grand Canyon Tour" and seeing if a tour provider can get you some better options.
Old May 14, 2010, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Murphy
Don't stay in Jacob Lake. Last time I spent a night there the rooms were awful and there was black mold in the room. I suggest googling "private grand Canyon Tour" and seeing if a tour provider can get you some better options.
We stayed at the Jacob Lake Inn 2 years ago. Nothing special (basically a motel), but no mold. Your only other practical choices, for more than one in-and-out are the lodge at the rim, http://www.grandcanyonlodgenorth.com/, and the Kaibab Lodge, just outside the park boundary. Tripadvisor.com has reviews of all. Read them first. North Rim is quieter and cooler than the South Rim, but does have fewer options for lodging. At the South Rim you could choose between the hotels in the park, and the nearby town of Tusayan. I prefer the North Rim, but if you can't find anything, then perhaps the South Rim is the way to go. For the North Rim, if you will spend just one day in the park, then hotels or motels in the towns of Fredonia, Arizona or Kanab, Utah could be practical.
Old May 14, 2010, 5:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by skoenig
...or motels in the towns of Fredonia, Arizona
The choices there appear pretty grim, and it's an ugly little town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.