Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future Flight credits: not much use

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Future Flight credits: not much use

Is anyone else struggling to use their Future Flight credits: aka money I paid Virgin in good faith just before they went under?

I'm probably a year late in spotting this, but I can't help but feel Virgin pulled a bit of a fast one when they said they would 'honour' all past payments. However, I've struggled to find flights I can use them on now the borders are open again.

It was only after doing a large number of dummy bookings, I found that actually, this isn't a credit for a future flight at all.

There are the same number of seats on each flight available for Future Flight credits as are available for velocity frequent flyer redemptions: IE: typically, 4 economy seats. And on the few flights that are flying, they've often gone!

It won't impact many people, but as I'm sitting on thousands from a cancelled LAX business class flight, it's far from ideal.

I phoned up Virgin, and got the rather odd reply that 'a lot of people are commenting about that right now. Please, do write in with your feedback'.
Revolio likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:46 pm

Strange. Maybe its because I got in as soon as it was possible, but when I looked to use the credit I had (for identical flights a year later) I could choose any of the flights on the days I wanted as if I was paying cash (I checked that).
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Flight credits

In NZ so still can't use flight credits
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Beano
In NZ so still can't use flight credits
Hopefully they start New Zealand flights once the bubble opens.... I’ve got $1000NZD in VA credits, which are pretty useless if you live in New Zealand.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Hopefully they start New Zealand flights once the bubble opens.... I’ve got $1000NZD in VA credits, which are pretty useless if you live in New Zealand.
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...s/travel-bank/
https://travel.virginaustralia.com/a...te/travel-bank
https://travelbank.virginaustralia.c...4B1ACB56423187

<snip>
You can redeem your Travel Bank credits either:- Online at www.virginaustralia.com
- Via the Virgin Australia Business Portal if you are a corporate customer, by choosing Travel Bank as your form of payment
- Over the phone via the Guest Contact Centre.

Your travel credits are valid for eligible bookings for 12 months from the date of issue, unless a shorter expiry is notified to you. Travel does not need to be completed by the applicable travel credit expiry date.

Travel credits cannot be exchanged for cash and are non-transferrable to another person. However, you may use your travel credits to purchase an eligible flight for another person.
<snip>
When I was working we often used others travel bank.
But check the details for your VA credit.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 30, 2021 at 5:06 am
Old Apr 2, 2021, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Travel Bank I've used a lot and seems basically like using cash for whatever you want.

Travel CREDITS do seem capacity capped from what I have read?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It seems there is an underlying fare bucket for which a certain amount of seats can be booked for a flight using FFC's. The number made available can vary by flight. Some flights might not Have any made available.

A booking using FFC's is made as normal against other existing fare buckets but reduces the avalailbility in this specal fare bucket.

Best bet is to book early.

So far I have made bookings on 7 flights using FFC's, even upgraded a couple.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Is there any likelihood of VA extending the credit expiry dates?

Currently, I have approx. $4000 in credits from 2 JFK-LAX-BNE trips that were canceled. These credits expire in Jan 2022.

As an US citizen, I cannot enter Australia looks like for the foreseeable future..
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Is there any likelihood of VA extending the credit expiry dates?

Currently, I have approx. $4000 in credits from 2 JFK-LAX-BNE trips that were canceled. These credits expire in Jan 2022.

As an US citizen, I cannot enter Australia looks like for the foreseeable future..
Are you sure about that? Maybe the dates have been misinterpreted.

For example, I have "Future Flight Credits" and mine must be used to book before August 1st 2022 for travel through June 30th 2023.

That is, book BEFORE 1/8/2022 for travel up to 30/6/2023.

There is a good article here:

How to Use Virgin Australia “Future Flight” Credits | Australian Frequent Flyer

Also, VA's FFC Info:

https://travel.virginaustralia.com/a...flight-credits

Last edited by serfty; Jun 8, 2021 at 1:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.